PDA

View Full Version : Tang Sight ID Question

oldracer
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
The Rolling Block I have came with a globe front sight and a medium range (3 inch adjustment) tang sight. I do not see a name on the tang sight and I am curious as to the maker. It has a flat bottom hole at the front and a long flat bottom slot in the read section instead of the two holes I see in all the ones for sale now. Both screws that hold it down are flat bottomed and I had to make a soft wood plug/cover for the rear part of the base as there are some sharp edges that necessitate the wearing of gloves when shooting. The quality of construction is great and it does not loose adjustment when shooting. I also has windage adjustment as most sights do now and appears made for the Remington action as the curve on the bottom matches the rear of the action exactly.

Any ideas of who makes/made it as the rifle builder could not remember what brand it was. I can take a picture but the slot has been covered with a wooden plug which should ease the damage to my hand.

NickSS
11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
A picture will help. Several tang sights that I know of have slotted rear holes so that does not help much.

oldracer
11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Here are 3 picts I took a bit ago. In the fuzzy one you can see the soft wooden plug I had to make so the edges of the base would not cut the web of skin by my thumb. I have been wearing tactical gloves but they dampen the trigger feel quite a bit.

4060MAY
11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
looks like a Parts Unlimited Ukrainian sight

waksupi
11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
looks like a Parts Unlimited Ukrainian sight

That would be, Parts Unknown.

oldracer
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Seems reasonable as the gun was assembled 8 to 10 years ago and I read somewhere that company is not around? The sight works well, holds adjustment fine although there is some free play when changing from raising to lowering the eye piece, otherwise it doesn't move under 70gr BP 45-70 loads.

mustanggt
11-30-2010, 10:04 PM
This is an aside, but try putting your thumb along the right side of the sight when you are touching it off. I had to get bit a few times before I got the hint. Hope that helps.

oldracer
11-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the input on thumb position. I tried that right after I had the surgery on the palm of my right hand. I found the gun seemed to "jump" more so I have been trying the wrap around type of grip which seems to make the gun a bit steadier. I plan to try to go to a local match in December at the Pala range in northern San Diego county to see how the "experts" do it in person.

mustanggt
11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I understand how you feel. It seemed real hard to get used to when you have held a rifle the same way for eons. It take alot to get used to. Hope you can figure out what works for you.