PDA

View Full Version : is it worth trying to find WW

corey012778
11-29-2010, 02:57 AM
I am trying to build my stock pile back up, have not hit any of my WW resources for an long time. been reading threads about the number of sources not selling, or not allowed to sale WW. is it even worth the time to go around and ask?

hoosierlogger
11-29-2010, 06:36 AM
it is hit and miss. My source still gives them to me for free. some wont even sell them. Trying it is the only way to know.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-29-2010, 07:25 AM
It is very hit or miss around here. I just started casting. I'm one of the new guys that are trying to find WW and the places that sell or give them away, are getting fewer and far between. One of our junk yards was taken over by a larger company and no longer sells to the public. Our local farm store no longer lets us have any. I went out Black Friday and struck out at three places. On the brighter side. One place I found about a month ago, sold me a 5 gal. bucket for $10.00. On the bummer side, he had just sent nine buckets to the recycler about a month previously. All the lead I could want for $90.00. He gets a bucket about every month and a half. I hope to be able to stay with him. This place is just five miles from a very large city and no one has ever been there for WW. Keep looking. You may find that place that is so obvious no one asks. Dang. Nine buckets. I could of had me a story and a half.

MoldyJoe
11-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I am trying to build my stock pile back up, have not hit any of my WW resources for an long time. been reading threads about the number of sources not selling, or not allowed to sale WW. is it even worth the time to go around and ask?

That depends on how much your time is worth. I think it's always worth it. I have been known to stop by junk yards with a bucket and a screwdriver just to have a productive lunch hour, even 20 pounds at lunch is worth it. Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually. Joe

WILCO
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually.

Best advice.

44fanatic
11-29-2010, 12:27 PM
15lbs here, 30lbs there, it all adds up. Not so easy to get WW from the chain stores but the smaller places can sure pay off.

fatelk
11-29-2010, 02:04 PM
That depends on how much your time is worth.

Keep looking, you will get lucky eventually.
Very true. A year or two ago I started looking to accumulate a stash, but struck out time after time at the tire shops. They either didn't sell, wouldn't sell, or wanted $1 per pound. I think the tire shops around here get asked all the time and think they have gold.

I even put an add on craigslist (got a few hundred pounds, none real cheap or free though), found another couple hundred pounds of ingots at a local gun shop for 70 cents/lb, then lucked into a half ton of lino for less than that. That definitely rounds out my lifetime supply.:)

If you keep looking you'll get a supply built up, but it sure isn't easy anymore if you want it cheap. If you have more time than money it might be fun to see what you can find. If the reverse is true, you'll likely be better off buying FRBs full of ingots for $1/lb.

white eagle
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
if yer out yes
if you are quitting shooting,casting,hunting then no stay home

corey012778
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
if yer out yes
if you are quitting shooting,casting,hunting then no stay home

um no, on quitting on all the above. in fact, I am going to all cast boolits out of sabots on my 50cal inline muzzleloaders, conicals for 45cal, casting roundballs, and gearing up to start reloading and casting for 9mm

Jal5
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Keep looking as everyone has said. don't pass up on opportunities for range scrap either. that is a little more work but it can be free!

corey012778
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
did pass up getting range scrap yesterday. it is my number 1 source right now.

Von Gruff
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Any number of no's is outweighed by a yes. WW is a staple so it will always be worthwhile to keep our stocks replenished. Fortunately I have a lifetimes supply, but that was got by asking everywhere untill I though I had enough --- then I got some more.

Von Gruff.

Wots
11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
I just scored a 30# batch today, with a good possibility of a 200# plus per month.
This after countless rejections, so I would have to say, yes. The free WW are still out there.
Should be intrusting to see how much zinc I get.

BSkerj
11-29-2010, 10:28 PM
I have been getting free WW the last year and a half..last week before we got dumped on with snow and Thanksgiving I was able to pick up 13 gallons in one week. My supplier has went to all steel so I think the good times are just about over..thankfully I have 165 gallons of unsmelted WW to work through. I am estimating by the middle of next year everything will be steel in my neck of the woods but I will keep searching, more out of habit than desire..thrill of the hunt and all !

fredj338
11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't actively look, not worth the cost of gas around here, but if I am in a shop, I always ask. SOmetimes you get lucky. My last trip in for an oil change @ a Midas got me about 180# after sorting. The days of cheap or free alloy will be over sooner than you think. Kommifornia banning lead ww put the ball in motion for the manuf to stop making them. Steel & zinc from here on out I am afraid.

Rangefinder
12-02-2010, 03:25 AM
If you're gonna look, now is the time. If you put it off much longer, it's gonna dry up completely. My source is still treating me very well--picked up about 200+ pounds today for the bargain price of some Corona. They were actually free--always are at this one particular place, but I try to treat my good source to a little something every time I come by regardless of the "take 'em, they're all yours" comment every time. That way the treats keep coming on both ends for as long as the WW supply holds.

a.squibload
12-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I haven't found much, some free, some paid for, but I'm out & about anyway.
Never hurts to ask, just takes a few minutes even if they say "no".
Found a bucket full of scrap sheet lead at an army surplus store not too long ago.
Keep looking.

merlin101
12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
it's getting tough here too, but this is a good time of year to hit the tire shops! I don't pay much for WW but then again lead just went from .60 to .90lb here

XIT
12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I took a tire in to repair for a slow leak. I asked the man if he had any wheel weights he wanted to sell. I offered him thirty cents a pound and guessed the pail at 150 pounds. So for sixty five dollars I got my tire fixed and at least another hundred pounds of ingots. I was real happy.[smilie=1:

fredj338
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
I took a tire in to repair for a slow leak. I asked the man if he had any wheel weights he wanted to sell. I offered him thirty cents a pound and guessed the pail at 150 pounds. So for sixty five dollars I got my tire fixed and at least another hundred pounds of ingots. I was real happy.[smilie=1:

Good score. We will soon long for the days we pay only 50c/# for good ww. Time to start seriously mining the berm.

Jailer
12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Stopped at a local place just a few minutes ago. Hadn't stopped in a few weeks (been deer hunting) and apparantly neither had anyone else. I usually get a small amount in a bucket when I stop. Today, 1 1/2 - 5 gallon buckets full. Free.

I'm treating them to some giant cinamon rolls from a local Mennonite owned bakery this Friday morning (my next day off). They are the best I've ever had and hopefully it keeps the free wheel weights flowing. :bigsmyl2:

mtgrs737
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
You have to keep trying, you will find a source if you don't give up. I remember when I was in your shoes trying to find a supply of WW's for casting. I had been several places and was hearing the same story as you are. Then when I was filling my tank at a gas station a guy pulled into the next stall driving a tire store farm service truck. I thought what the heck it won't hurt to ask. He said he wasn't sure but that I could stop by and ask at the shop as it was only a few blocks away. I did just that and it is the best source I could ever ask for. I have close to two tons of ingots stored away now and four buckets waiting for a nice day to smelt down into ingots (check out my avitar it is an old picture I am now on my third skid as they get too heavy to pull). So don't give up, you will find your source!

12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
If you don't go, you don't know.

I went to my local tire shop Saturday morning to get my tires rotated. I asked if they had any wheelweights to get rid of. I had to call my buddy with the pick up truck to come pick up 7 FULL 5 gal buckets. He gave the tire guy a croaker($100).

corey012778
12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
as soon as I get some funds, I'll hit the road and try my luck.

JJC
12-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Went to two places today that would not sell me any. Went to another I have been wanting to inquire at. This shop throws them out! We will see where it goes. They had none but will call me next week. If not I'll be checking back in, or dumpster diving.

captain-03
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
.... never know where the next big score will come form!!

*Paladin*
12-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I say it's worthwhile! I got 54 lbs of wheel weights today for free. Now if I just had a mold and melting pot! It's almost Christmas! Then I should be in business to start casting some boolits!

Jailer
12-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Stopped at 3 places today. Two of the places I've been to before and one was a new place I've never stopped at but I went to school with the owner. Ended up with another full (overflowing) 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights by the time I was headed home.

Stick with it, you'll score eventually.

tinsnips
12-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Don't give up, i have been told no more ways than i can remember. If you can make or find a inside connection at a tire shop it has worked out good for me. I have been looking for lino for a very long time with no luck until today. A guy that lives a few blocks from my shop dropped off 6 buckets in the drive way freee. [heaven] All because i ask everybody for lead get the word out sooner or later your ship will come in ! Good Luck

XIT
12-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I ordered some cheap rims to mount some bigger tires on an old Toyota truck. I did this at a different tire shop. Again I asked the owner if he had any wheel weights to sell. He said he had not sold any before. He always gave them away. But he said he had three guys asking so he thought he should start selling them. I paid him forty five dollars for what equates to a plumb full pail minus the junk of course. At that price it is sure still worth it in my opinion. From what I checked out on purchasing lead that needs to be shipped any local lead is pretty much cheap lead.[smilie=f:

fredj338
12-10-2010, 03:27 AM
I say it's worthwhile! I got 54 lbs of wheel weights today for free. Now if I just had a mold and melting pot! It's almost Christmas! Then I should be in business to start casting some boolits!

It's a start, but that is gonna net you 1500-3000 bulelts depending on size. It goes really fast.

Rangefinder
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a start, but that is gonna net you 150-300 bulelts depending on size. It goes really fast.

You sure about that figure?? 54# with even a high percentage of loss due to Zn, Fe, and other crud---say 35# of ingots. 35x7000=245,000gr/200gr. bullets (just a guess)=1225 bullets. I come up with a bit more than 300 ;)

Still not a lot, but a good start. YES, they will go fast!

fredj338
12-10-2010, 07:23 PM
You sure about that figure?? 54# with even a high percentage of loss due to Zn, Fe, and other crud---say 35# of ingots. 35x7000=245,000gr/200gr. bullets (just a guess)=1225 bullets. I come up with a bit more than 300 ;)

Still not a lot, but a good start. YES, they will go fast!
Sorry, it's an add zero thing. Sometimes I just type & my finger don't always do what my brain says & vis versa.. Yes, you are correct, 1500-3000 is the right number.:veryconfu That is assuming 100% useable. The last bucket of ww I got out here last summer was down to about 60%.

*Paladin*
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I weighed after I culled the steel and zinc out. But, you guys are absolutely right that it's just a start. But, I will continue to collect lead as the opportunities arise!

BTW, I did cull out probably 15-20 lbs of steel and zinc. Any uses out there for these? I just threw them away, but after I did I thought maybe I should have kept them, maybe for salvage? Is the value on zinc anywhere close to lead? Just wondering if I should keep the stuff and use it to barter with the salvage yards?

corey012778
12-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I weighed after I culled the steel and zinc out. But, you guys are absolutely right that it's just a start. But, I will continue to collect lead as the opportunities arise!

BTW, I did cull out probably 15-20 lbs of steel and zinc. Any uses out there for these? I just threw them away, but after I did I thought maybe I should have kept them, maybe for salvage? Is the value on zinc anywhere close to lead? Just wondering if I should keep the stuff and use it to barter with the salvage yards?

scrap metal price, any cash is an good thing.

I went to my old source, I have to talk to the owner about it, they where busy and I had to go to work. left an note and my number. I will stop by there monday when I get done with the eye doctors.

a.squibload
12-11-2010, 03:49 AM
I haven't collected enough zinc to be worth turning in, but will save it.
Some guys here are already casting zinc boolits, good info from them in case lead
gets regulated out of existence or too expensive.

Also might cast other things out of it, maybe sand casting?
Wife makes jewelry, can help me with that.

I have a pile of steel, will add the steel WWs to it and trade it in for lead.
Local yard wants minimum 500 lbs to trade in, think I have more than that now (Jeep owner),
but I can't imagine they would turn down a box of steel WWs if you take it to 'em for trade.

tuckerdog
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
the local scrap yard sells ww's for .60 @ lb but most tire shops give them to their friends

GP100man
12-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Hit & Miss in my area , shops turn em back in for credit on new 1s & such .

Very slim in my neck of the woods for sure though !

Been thinking of 100# purchase from Rotometals !

& your talkin to a feller that used to go around to the tire shops with 4 different kinds of beer for trade !!

Jailer
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
To the OP if you are still on the fence about collecting wheel weights.

I just started casting and collecting lead 4 months ago. I just counted my ingots that I have stashed and right now I have 852 lbs with another 2 1/2 - 5 gallon buckets to melt down. That will put me over 1000 lbs of lead collected in 4 months time.

Do it.

corey012778
12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
going to check with my old source on monday, going to go around and check an couple other small places.

worst case. gather range lead every chance I get