PDA

View Full Version : Sabots to utilize smaller caliber cast bullets in 30 caliber ?

Smoke-um if you got-um
11-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I've googled and searched chat boards and forums until I'm blue in the face. Try as I might I cannot find any info on sabots to use in 30 cal other than 22 cal sabots. Does anybody have purchase information on 30 cal sabots utilizing under-size bullets of any caliber besides 22 cal ? I already paper patch under-size 30 cal cast bullets. Also, does anybody paper patch 7mm cast bullets up to 30cal with satisfactory results ?
Thanks,
Mike

Rangefinder
11-29-2010, 03:42 AM
The ones I know of are called "accelerators"--but you've probably already found them--.22 bumped up to .30 cal... Can't say that I've done 7mm pp'd up to .30, but I don't see why it couldn't be made to work. It's a little under what I'd prefer for core size, but .284 with 3 full wraps of a 4 mill paper comes up to an even .308. I'd probably go with a 5 mil and size as needed after paper shrink though. If it's a good wrap job and grips the bullet well enough, you might get something out of it. Try it and see.

pdawg_shooter
11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
.285/.286 would be a bit small in a .308 bore. You need to start with a .301/.3015 bullet to get accuracy in a 30cal.

Doc Highwall
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Remington made the accelerators I believe in 30-30 Win., 308 Win. and 30/06. The accuracy was never much to talk about 2"- 4" at 100 yards, never heard of anybody getting better then 2".

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys, am currently doing some testing with some old 7mm jacketed bullets just to see if some potential exists. I'm patching up the nose to ride the lands and the shank to
.312. Will size them down slghtly by rolling them under a heavy flat file on a flat surface, lube with alox or Johnson wax and load to length that gives a good firm feel to the bolt when closing but does not bunch up patch either. The only problem is with proper shrinkage on the nose. I just havn't found the proper paper and wetting agent yet that shrinks as much as some photos I've seen on various posts. I am currently using tracing paper .015 and water/egg whites. Works pretty good but just doesn't have as much shrinkage as some photos I've seen.
Thanks,
Mike