PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mtn: K31 passed off as an 1889

bkbville
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I stopped by Gander Mtn. this afternoon - just seeing if there were any deals.

I took a look at the used rifles and saw one tagged "Swiss Schmidt Rubin 1889" - it was priced $599. More than I'd like to spend but they are hard to find and it would keep my 31's and 11 company.

I picked it up - it was a K31! (noticed right away by the location of the locking lugs.)

I took out a pen and noted it on the tag (there were too many people to get an employee's attention, and I doubt they would have corrected it.)

Every time I shop Gander I get disgusted. I hope they go out of business.

(They wanted $25 for (2) crosman 88gr co2 cans - I bought this at Wallyworld last week for $10. Quite a markup.)

Ben
11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
America has a way of taking care of stores that price things 2 X and 3 X.......It is called Chapter 11

If you're looking for a bargain on something, it isn't likely you'll find it at Gander Mt.

Murphy
11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
The closest Gander Mountain is about 60 miles away in Texarkana, Texas.

They came rollin' into town, put up the big fine store and killed all the mom & pop's operations for miles around.

And then? The market is theirs....sort'a like Wally World.

I joke about em' and say "They call it Gander Mountain for a reason, take a GANDER at them prices buddy!'.

Murphy

Four Fingers of Death
11-29-2010, 06:16 AM
It would be ignorance on their part and not a conspiracy I'm thinking. We are our own worst enemy, we want the cheapest gear and the best service, mutually exclusive things I have found. I stick with my local shop, but keep an eye on the discounter's prices and generally manage to get withing cooee of them after a bit of haggling. Having a shop in town is worth an extra 50 bucks a year spread over several purchases. Ther is a lot of stuff they don't cater for and I go to the big shops for that.

Maven
11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
"It would be ignorance on their part and not a conspiracy I'm thinking. We are our own worst enemy, we want the cheapest gear and the best service, mutually exclusive things I have found...." FFoD

Four Fingers is correct. Expertise is something that's often in short supply at Gander Mt. E.g., our local GM had an Argentine Mauser (don't remember whether it was the 1891 or 1909 "Modelo") tagged as a 7.62 x 39mm. When I handed them the tag and informed them of their mistake and liability issue, they looked at me as though I had two heads. No "thank you for pointing out our mistake (stupidity)" or anything remotely resembling gratitude. I try not to purchase anything there.

pietro
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I dunno, ignorance works for me - I was able to purchase a NIB/used old, 1" tube Redfield 2x-7x that was tagged @ $40................................

It made a nice Christmas present for my son last year. :D

HollowPoint
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I know you guys are talking about Gander Mt but, your descriptions fit both the BassPro shop and the Sportsmans stores in my area.

Full retail on darn near everything they sell and lots of proud ignorance to go along with it.

HollowPoint.

bkbville
11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Ignorance and arrogance.... (and greed)

I didn't mean to insinuate shady dealings - just ignorance... and pathetic pricing. In fact when I left I was saying to myself it would do them good to go out of business.

This would be the mistake of their "expert" gunsmith I'm sure...

Even if it was an 1889, even mint, that price is high(and given the corrosiveness of the pre GP11 swiss ammo, I doubt a "mint" condition exists.)

ZombieHitman
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I only go to the local Gander for two reasons - either there's something I gotta have right now and it's on sale, or to go see the gunsmith who's a close family friend, and quite talented too. I aspire to learn as much about guns as he has forgotten...
They have Combined Technology 168gr BT's, the ones that Midway sells for $21/box of 50 priced at $39.99.
Sorry Gander, won't be buying bullets or ammo (unless it's a screaming deal) from you any time soon...
Yeah, I can hear the cussing now...reload your own!
I do. But, there are times that I'm running low, and need stuff fast, and time is of the essence!

merlin101
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I go to Gander just to look around but I have over the past couple of years found some good deals. The latest is a nickle plated Colt trooperIII in .357 for $500 and it looks like it was hardly ever fired!
Keep looking, prices can be wrong BOTH WAYS!!:)

Gee_Wizz01
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
In the past I have avoided GM, but recently I have bought several firearms from them. The most recent was a Marlin 338MX, after I checked Gunbroker and did the math with the cost +shipping+transfer fees, I found GM was only about $10 more. As it turned out, the rifle had some problems and GM took care of it quickly and at no cost to me and gave me several $10 gift cards for my troubles. I know several of the guys that work in the firearms dept and they are knowledgeable and helpful. Several of the other guys that work there are clueless and will tell the customer what they want to hear. The bottom line is I shop around and go where I can get what I want a fair price.

G

Shooter6br
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Don't forget big sporting good stores like Dicks here in Pa. A tin of Crosman .177 pellets at Wally Worlds $2...... Dicks $6 Same product. "What is in a name? A rose by any other name would still...smell" sorry

KCSO
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I have worked off and on as a gunsmith in my own shop and others for a number of years. I still get folks who come in and want to order a gun and before i can get a price figured up it's, "I can get it cheaper than that at Wally World". All right go to Wally world, and when it breaks or when you need a trigger job send it to WALLY WORLD! As to the Gander Mountain thing they hire low rent help who wouldn't know a K31 from and F15. Somebody handed the kid a gun ans said put this tag on it. As to their prices some are way high some are OK you just have to shop and be willing to pass on things till the price comes down. It's won't do any goood to get in a fash about it, if nothing sells now it WILL go cheap at the going out of businees sale.

craig61a
08-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I used to go there quite often in the Minneapolis area on 98th & 35W 7 or 8 years ago - but that was before they built the bigger stores and raised their prices. I did buy an M44 their about four years ago on sale for $99, but I rarely set foot in the door nowadays.

Echd
08-14-2012, 02:19 AM
The one in Greensboro NC rarely has any surplus rifles anymore, and what they do have is generally in poor condition or is something very common at a rather silly price ($150 Mosins).

When they started putting all the stuff behind the counter, I stopped going in. When they did that their reloading section also shrank to a small cabinet and shelf of stuff.

They've never had good prices, but occasionally I could save on shipping, or at least have some fun looking around.

I've been told they have one of the lowest profitability per sq foot (Which apparently is a metric of some use to some people, because it isn't the only time I've heard of it) of similar retail stores of any big chain. Doesn't surprise me, unless its a wildly mispriced firearm in the buyer's favor, I can't see anyone who wasn't a first time or seriously impulsive buyer paying Gander Mt prices.

klcarroll
08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I haven't even considered going into a Gander Mountain since they kissed-up to the 'Anti Gunners" and cancelled a bunch of scheduled NRA workshops.

If I wanted to hang around with people who are intent on knifing me in the back, I would visit my ex-wife!!

Kent

Hamish
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
"since they kissed-up to the 'Anti Gunners" and cancelled a bunch of scheduled NRA workshops."

Thank you for reminding us sir.

bigmark2121
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Not to join the band wagon on bashing Gander, but a few years ago when ammo was in short supply the local Gander manager had his employees go to Walmart and buy all of their ammo when it came in because Gander could not get any. Then mark it up double. I walked up to the manager and told him it would be the last time I would ever buy anything there again and I have not been back.

ilcop22
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
It's folks like us that set the market prices for surplus/used arms. It always amazes me how much places like Gander Mountain and Cabela's charge. GM is notorious for their over-msrp pricing (they're my #2 salesman after Obama), and pricing used arms at mint prices, well over market value.

Freightman
08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Got one two miles from the front door, been there one time eight years ago when they opened, do not have any plan to go back.

uscra112
08-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Haven't been in a Gander Mountain in years. I do go into a Cabela's every now and then, just to renew my disgust.

DCM
08-18-2012, 11:53 PM
I haven't even considered going into a Gander Mountain since they kissed-up to the 'Anti Gunners" and cancelled a bunch of scheduled NRA workshops.

If I wanted to hang around with people who are intent on knifing me in the back, I would visit my ex-wife!!

Kent

They also cancelled a bunch of pro Walker stuff in WI (their home state) to kiss some liberal butt too!!!

TheDoctor
08-19-2012, 12:42 AM
During the big primer shortage a few years ago, GM was the only place you knew you could find the ones you needed. And at 50 bucks a brick, I can see why.

jh45gun
08-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Kent

Yep I called up the local one and told them you will never see a nickel from me again. I never shopped there that much anyway because they are too expensive.

jh45gun
08-19-2012, 05:06 AM
They also cancelled a bunch of pro Walker stuff in WI (their home state) to kiss some liberal butt too!!!

Pretty sure that is what Kent was referring to.

08-30-2012, 08:03 AM
"since they kissed-up to the 'Anti Gunners" and cancelled a bunch of scheduled NRA workshops."

That’s odd since the Koch brothers, who have single handedly funneled millions of dollars into ultra-right wing conservative candidates like Scott Walker, own Gander Mountain.
My local Gander stopped selling reloading supplies about a year ago. That along with their high prices and lack of knowledge pushed me away from the door. After I found out the Koch brothers own it I vowed never to return. Why should my hard earned money fund conservative super PACs?
If you do not believe me that the Koch brothers own Gander, Google it. The truth will set you free.

mold maker
08-30-2012, 10:07 AM
I made the 48 mile round trip tp GM twice. Both times I had called to make sure they had what I wanted. Neither time was it in stock, on the shelf. Those jerkwads didn't even look.
Color me gone forever.

jaysouth
09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
You folks will positively love my story about the Gander Mountain just North of Richmond, VA.

For decades there has been a gun store called Green Top that started out in a gas station. They expanded to a 30,000 sq. ft. store just behind it and did a gangbuster business for years. they had more used guns in open racks on the floor than you could examine in one day. Until an invester bought them out, it was a family business that captured the loyalty of all gunner in a hundred mile radius. After the buyout, the investor kept the family in the store.

Prices were not the best, but good and their inventory was absolutely incredible. they continued to grow and prosper.

Along came Gander Mountain a couple of miles down the road. Earlier this year, Gander mountain SHUT DOWN! The loyal Virginia customers would not deal with carpet baggers.(richmond, va is one of the few places where that term is still understood).

Wait! It gets better. Not only did Green Top run Gander Mountain out of business, They are physically moving into the old gander store.

Bob S
09-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Is this the former GM location in Fredericksburg? Never went in there, but if Green Top is moving in there, I will be a visitor. When do the expect to open?

Resp'y,
Bob S.