PDA

View Full Version : I'm slipping fast

kbstenberg
11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I may need HELP
I've only been casting for 1.5 years. It's now in the 20's/30's for daytime temps. here in Minn. An I'm trying to figure out how I can test bullets for expansion in the winter using wet newsprint.
When I started casting all i wanted was to shoot more an pay less. It seems like it has progressed from there.
Kevin

dk17hmr
11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
It only gets worse when you hang around this place.

I started out wanting a cheap way to feed my 1911 while I was in college. Now I have 30 + molds and shoot cast in almost everything I own. Next thing you know you will be leaving the jacketed bullets at home when hunting season comes around and using only your own cast handloads.

RobS
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
dk17hrm has told the story that many of us have written for ourselves in some way or another. It sure is a great hobby!!! As to the expansion testing and wet newspaper during the cold, the only thing I can think of is to soak the paper in hot water first (bath tub) and put it in a large garbage sack. I would also find a way to keep the wet paper in the cab while heading out and take it out only when I'm ready to start testing.

Shooter6br
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Started with my dad . He got Linotype free and wheelweights, He taught at a Voc Tech school. The print shop was going to stop the old print methods. No more type setting. I picked up on it. About 30 yrs ago

Box13
11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Try a little antifreeze in the water you use on the newsprint or better yet use the"winter" type windshield washer fluid.Antifreeze soaked paper might be a hazard if any pets could get ahold of it...Robin

Jack Stanley
11-28-2010, 04:57 PM
That's simple , put a steel drum on the range keep the sealed end up and light a fire under it . Of course then you'll want to stick a thermometer into it to replicate the critters you intend to hunt . Or try experimenting with expansion in different temps of the medium ..................... yeah , you're right a fella can really fall into this . :Fire:

Jack

kbstenberg
11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Rob S I think you an I are on the same page. I figure to soak the news print in the house, have everything ready at my shooting bench ( I shoot 30yards from my front door) wheel the papers out in my wheel barrel an do my tests. Retrieve the bullets an head back inside.
Kevin

RobS
11-29-2010, 01:30 AM
kbstenberg:

You lucky dog, having a personal range just 30 yards away is awesome and I envy anyone who can step out their door and shoot or test boolits. I'm 15 minutes from the range I shoot at.................it sucks.

Bad Water Bill
11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
RobS I feel lucky here in Illinois. I only have to drive an hour into Indiana to the nearest public rifle range.

sharpshooter3040
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Soak em in RV antifreeze for water lines....the pink stuff... its inexpensive and non toxic . Been doing this casting thing for 35 plus years, you have a lot of R&D to go. But most of all have fun and stay safe

Doug

I may need HELP
I've only been casting for 1.5 years. It's now in the 20's/30's for daytime temps. here in Minn. An I'm trying to figure out how I can test bullets for expansion in the winter using wet newsprint.
When I started casting all i wanted was to shoot more an pay less. It seems like it has progressed from there.
Kevin