PDA

View Full Version : Smelting--gitt'er done

malpaismike
11-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello the camp! Have finally the time and inclination to complete smelting my 500# of ww. My question involves best valve installation in my Dutch oven. I can make it ss, brass or most anything. Brass is easiest to work, but has highest thermal expansion. SS a bit harder to work, but closer to castiron temp condition. Is it best to thread valve into oven, or are copper crush washers sufficient? I can see a great potential for buku mess if done incorrectly. All input gratefully accepted. thxnregards mm

Charlie Two Tracks
11-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Sierra Vista. Was stationed at Ft. Huachuca early 70's. Anyway. I just use a ladel. I don't add lead to a melted pot. Too dangerous for me. I've only smelted twice so this advice is not from a pro. It's just one way of how to do it that I've read here. Stay out of the smoke. Strange smelling stuff.

malpaismike
11-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Hello the camp! CTT, changed a bunch since your day, but we like it better and better. Yup, a ladle would get it, but I want to take my time in a hurry. I shoot 3-4 monthly matches and am going thru my stash post haste. I'll probably do ladle while engineering a valve for my oven. Thx for your input. mm

lwknight
11-28-2010, 02:56 AM
I use a 4 pound ladel. It will empty a 50 pound pot PDQ
Problem with bottom pour is that you need a moveable outlet so you don't have to move the ingots while they are still liquid. I guess you cxould build a trough that would swing in a radius and arrange the molds/pans in a 1/2 circle .
Sorry I can't help much on the original question. but , IME crush washers work pretty good for other things if you have a way to get the nut tight enough without stripping the threads.

malpaismike
11-28-2010, 03:24 AM
I take your point, LWK; I have a med-size Rowell ladle that would probably do the trick. I hadn't considered the valve/mold path. That's a caution. Oh, well, I'm retarded and have plenty of time to thimk. thxnregards mm

lwknight
11-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Big difference between being retarded and inexperienced.
Even the best engineers miss some logistical issues in a first evolution event.
Thats why we have rev b , rev c , etc...

44fanatic
11-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Guess there are a few of us on here who know Ft Huachuca is. Was stationed there 99-2001 (along with a few TDY trips there prior) and now have a son and daughter in law out there.

I looked at making my smelting pot a bottom pour, bought the fittings and then starting thinking about the nightmare. Couldnt figure out how to keep the spout from freezing nor how to fill my ingot molds without moving them around. Gave up on the idea before I ever put it on paper. Came to the conclusion that my occasional smelts of 300-400lbs of lead were not worth it for me. 4 muffin pans that drop 3lb ingots can empty a 12qt pot (dutch oven w/ 100lbs of molten lead) pretty quick before I am waiting for more scrap to melt.

dragonrider
11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
IMO welding is the only viable option for fixing a bottom pour valve to a pot. Here are a couple pics of mine, to give you an idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/SMELTER/IMG_0154.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/SMELTER/IMG_0155.jpg
Therre are better methods to do it than the way I did, searching around the forum will bring pics of others.

malpaismike
11-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Much obliged, gents. Desire for making big things out of little things often underwhelms me. My wife sez I can spend an hour doing a half-hour chore; I say I'll do it next time in 20 min, and refine that. My story and I'm stickin' to it.

That 500# ww looks like a mountain. Reality is I did 300# of xray sheet on a propane stove in a porcelain camp pot (maybe 3 qt) in 2 sessions. Now I have a turkey cooker and a Harbor Frt oven--and a mid-sized Rowell ladle. Think I'll get a couple more muffin tins, though. Well, enuf talk, time to gitt'er done. thxnregards mm

a.squibload
11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks, you guys got me thinking of making a bigger ladle for ingots.