PDA

View Full Version : MEI Cast vs WWs

pearson1662
11-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I was on the Hodgdon web site looking for data for SR7625 and noticed there are powders and loads developed for the MEI (Meister hard cast I assume?) cast bullets that are not listed for "Cast LSWC". Is the MEI data not usefull for WWs CBs because the MEI are "hard cast"?

In particular, I'm loading 38 spl cases (not +P) with a 158gr (161.5gr culled to +or- .5gr air cooled WWs with a little tin) Saeco #382 SWC PB, looking for ~850fps and have available for this project Bullseye, SR 7625, Universal Clays, 3N37 or WST. I would prefer to use a powder that is not position sensitive.

I'm working to evaluate the quality of my casts (rested accuracy at 25 yards from a M10) not the powder performance, terminal performance, ballistics, etc.

Jay

Calamity Jake
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I was on the Hodgdon web site looking for data for SR7625 and noticed there are powders and loads developed for the MEI (Meister hard cast I assume?) cast bullets that are not listed for "Cast LSWC". Is the MEI data not usefull for WWs CBs because the MEI are "hard cast"?

In particular, I'm loading 38 spl cases (not +P) with a 158gr (161.5gr culled to +or- .5gr air cooled WWs with a little tin) Saeco #382 SWC PB, looking for ~850fps and have available for this project Bullseye, SR 7625, Universal Clays, 3N37 or WST. I would prefer to use a powder that is not position sensitive.

I'm working to evaluate the quality of my casts (rested accuracy at 25 yards from a M10) not the powder performance, terminal performance, ballistics, etc.

Jay

When it comes to hand guns boolit hardness doesn't make much difference for powder choice.
All the powders you have are good choices for that M10, none of the above are position sensitive.

felix
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
CJ, you realize the newbees would take your statement erroneously sooner or later. It is the small case that allows the sensitivity of the powder to be considerably less, and not the powder itself. ALL powders are position sensitive, and most especially BP which REQUIRES extreme proximity to burn properly. ... felix

Calamity Jake
11-29-2010, 01:27 PM
I was only answering his ?,in his case the 38sp, as you stated the powders he listed will not be positive sensitive in the 38sp.

I also should of added that for low volisity hand gun a softer boolit is better!!!

One other thing, a SWC is a SWC no matter who makes it so for light loads in hand gun match load data to boolit weight over style.

At least thats my way of thinking.

No flames here just my 2¢

pearson1662
11-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks, fellas. I think I'll use the Universal Clays first.

BTW, I was in Ft. Smith yesterday visiting my Mom and sisters. Ft. Smith seems nice.

You wouldn't happen to do tours with Q&A at your casting facility?

Jay