PDA

View Full Version : Sizer

rmcc
11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
In this forum's opinion, what is the best lubri/sizer for the money. I am currently using a Lyman 450 that I got in a trade. It is wore out. I am going to send back to Lyman to get fixed. So, I am looking for a "new" one.

Thanks,
Rich

mtgrs737
11-27-2010, 12:20 AM
If you do a lot of quanity, you can't beat a Star from Magma Engineering.

John D
11-27-2010, 12:25 AM
The STAR is the best in my opinion. I also have a Lyman 450. It seldom gets used anymore since i got the star.

I'm sure others here feel the same way...

rmcc
11-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Who carries the Star equipment?

cheese1566
11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Magma Engineering is the only place to find one.
You can try looking for a used unit, but they go pretty darn close to new $$$.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/

mooman76
11-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Best for your money really depends on your shooting needs. As little as I get to shoot, and as many calibers as I shoot, it would be a waist of my money. How much do you plan to shoot?

runfiverun
11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
they are more but once you have them they are nice.
you can get size dies from lathesmith just as nice as from magma and cheaper.
if i were starting over i would get the stars again and probably look at some lee push throughs for some of the lesser used cals.
but i have them now and don't regret it, i started with a lyman and after about 50 boolits i knew there had to be a better way.
if you shoot 50-100 rounds a month the lyman is fine as you could cast and size that many in one day.
if you shoot 500 rounds a month you need a 4-6 cavity and a star then you can do the same in a good day.

ZombieHitman
11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Between my brother and I, we shoot about 1000 rounds a month of 3 calibers - 45ACP, 40, and 223.
After looking at the Magma Star, it seems to be a bit complicated. At least, per the instruction manual...
For me, simple is good.
I tend to cast 1000-2000 boolits in a day (I take a whole day dedicated to casting one size/profile to maximize my own efficiency), and set them aside in tubs till I'm ready to lube & size them.
As it stands, I'm sitting on about 6K boolits...gotta love those Lee 6 bangers!
All things being equal, am I thinking too hard on this lube & size gizmo?
How is it for a noob to get proficient and properly set it up?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

mdi
11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
The Magma Engineering web site states the Star is only $250.00. Don't sound too bad to me...

Scanned the manual and it didn't look too difficult to me. But, I've been using manuals translated from Japanese, German, and Italian to English for 30+ years.

cheese1566
11-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Between my brother and I, we shoot about 1000 rounds a month of 3 calibers - 45ACP, 40, and 223.
After looking at the Magma Star, it seems to be a bit complicated. At least, per the instruction manual...
For me, simple is good.
I tend to cast 1000-2000 boolits in a day (I take a whole day dedicated to casting one size/profile to maximize my own efficiency), and set them aside in tubs till I'm ready to lube & size them.
As it stands, I'm sitting on about 6K boolits...gotta love those Lee 6 bangers!
All things being equal, am I thinking too hard on this lube & size gizmo?
How is it for a noob to get proficient and properly set it up?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

It is indeed easy enough. I too had questions about setup and change over.

There is a little learning curve, but there is one also with a Lyman or RCBS when it comes to adjustment, heat, lube pressure; no different.

Die change is quicker since there is not fine thread nut to start. Other adjustment is the top punch, but there are tips here on how to measure those for reference in easier change overs.

Things get complicated when you add bullet feeders, air cylinders, and heaters...

I sold three Lyman lubers and other stuff to get my Star; I have never regretted it or looked back wishing I had those other lubers! (I did of course retain my RCBS LAM for small job.)

dragonrider
11-27-2010, 04:14 PM
A Star is a worthwhile investment no matter how little you cast per month. Learning curve?, yes. Frustration? there may be some but once you got it down you will not regret the cost.

ZombieHitman
11-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I think I just caught a RCBS lube-o-matic for a good deal...gonna give it a whirl and see how well it does for now...keep my investment into it down as best I can for the time being.