PDA

View Full Version : Why !! 45 acp brass

bigfoot
11-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Why did they start making 2 different size primer pockets in 45 acp brass? Where can you find out what primer to use? This has probaly been ask before!!! Cant seem to find it. Thanks in advance
bigfoot

Snapping Twig
11-26-2010, 10:23 PM
There's an eco friendly small primer used.

Like you, I find it wacky, but as long as you keep an eye open, you should be able to discard them in favor of the traditional cases.

ReloaderFred
11-26-2010, 10:33 PM
The non-toxic priming compound has a higher brisance (speed) than traditional lead styphnate priming compound. They first tried enlarging the flash hole, and that helped, but didn't solve the problem and didn't cause any problems with the older primers, so you'll find some 1/8" flash holes in some newer .45 acp cases from CCI, Speer, Winchester and Federal. They then tried crimping the NT primers in, the same as military ammunition. That helped, but still didn't solve the problem of the primers backing out of the primer pockets.

Lastly, they found that by going to small pistol primers, they could achieve what they needed to do, and that was properly ignite the powder charge, and keep the primers in the primer pocket.

The SP primed brass loads just like the LP primed brass. Just sort it out, and when you get enough to mess with, load them as usual, using the proper small pistol primer.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Moonie
11-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Hate the small ones, give my progressive fits when I miss sorting them out

mister gizmo
11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Last I checked, Remington ("NT"), Speer and Winchester are all making "non-toxic" loads, many with frangible bullets, targeted for the indoor range user. My local PD uses them for qualifications.

The small primer hole will take a small pistol primer without a problem.

Since I use a progressive for .45 acp reloads, I have to sort through all my traded brass to set 'em aside. Trying to push a large primer into a small primer pocket is asking for a KA-BOOM!!!

376Steyr
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Since I started to find small primers in .45 ACP brass, I run my sorted cases through my Dillon 550 to size, deprime, prime and expand them. Then I load the primed brass through to charge and seat bullets. I have to handle the cases twice as much, but its a lot easier to clear a jam from a mis-matched primer and not have to worry about double charging or missing a case.

AnthonyB
11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I bought several thousand SP primer cases from a seller here and will buy more when he has them available. They were 1/2 the price of "normal" brass and are perfect for woods loafing where I don't want to take the time to hunt brass. They are shoot and forget. Tony