PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

waksupi
05-20-2005, 09:19 AM
It seems when these custom mold orders come along, there is a mad rush to get them sent in, just as soon as 25 are spoken for. And it also appears there are people who also buy up any extras in short order.

May I suggest, once the minimum number is reached, to leave the order open for another few weeks. This will allow others to find out about the order and get in on it, from other boards. Since these are custom designs for the most part, this may be the only chance for people to get the molds. If a second run is desired, it is more difficult to find the minimum number for the order, as many will have already been in on the first go-around.

These, being custom orders, take longer delivery time. So, when ordering anything custom, it is something you expect to wait for.

Just some food for thought, as I would like to see as many as possible get in on these molds when they are made.

Ed Barrett
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
From what's happened so far, it sounds like a reasonable way to do things.

Willbird
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Well I know on the 434-250 we slugged along, then folks wanted to get things going on it......I guess we can't please everybody...I agree we might as well get as many folks in as we can...would be real nice to have one go to 100 molds

Bill

AnthonyB
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Ric, I need to get the BD45CM done before I start moving in June - I don't want to take the chance on losing an order while we are in the transition period. I would wait until 1 July if anyone needed the time to appease SWMBO before buying another mould, but this one is actually moving pretty slow. If anyone needs the time, please speak out with a PM and I'll hold off until July. Tony

Buckshot
05-21-2005, 08:00 AM
.............Yeah I know what Waksupi's talking about. I'd have liked to have gotten in on a couple of the others, but they were coming so thick and fast :-). The 6.5mm deal I ran started on Jan 10th and the order of 31 went in on April 4th. Just short of 4 months and the last few orders came in as a batch. After that I had to call Lee up and add 3 more to the list!

Too bad we didn't have a Cast Boolits store! Order 10 extra moulds and then sell'em for $10 more. Half to the person going to the PO and the other half to the store.

However, the fact is that the sponser for a mould run CAN call Lee and add to the total to be run before they get into production. All Doug and Pat have to do is to stack up more blanks.

..................Buckshot

Oldfeller
05-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Heck, blowing the whistle at 15 count is the only thing that gets the last 20% of undecided fence sitters off the fence and into the boat.

String it out a lot more and they will just warm the pickets even longer and it will take forever to get the needed 25 ....

The real difference between a high interest first run and a repeat run is the lack of urgency -- you already know what the slug is going to do.

I'm in the boat for a 180 grain .357 slug for example, but I bought the mold already knowing it's a shooter. I will eventually buy or make a .357 caliber gun of some type, eventually, I suspect. No urgency here on this one.

The 6.5 Kurtz may never see another run if the Karlina Hi-Speed Curse still applies to it but it gets lots & lots of interest until it does show up the first time. It certainly can't do worse, and it would kill a squirrel just fine at any .22 like squib speed you wanted to push it at.

Plus, it's a Loverin ...... (enticing little slug, ain't it?)

<g>

Oldfeller

Hardcast
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Lee is now quoting approximately 4 months for custom molds. The sooner you get the order in, the sooner you will get the molds done. Once folks sent in their checks, I did not want to hold them too long. We talked about this for a long time before we sent in our order so there was plenty of time to decide.

bdoyle
05-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I've attempted to comment on this topic a few times. Each of theas deals has a life of its own. Sometimes it is just an initial flurry and then nothing. The bullet I choose had a pretty good run to 47 and then tapered off to about two weeks of no interest.

However, the fact is that the sponser for a mould run CAN call Lee and add to the total to be run before they get into production. All Doug and Pat have to do is to stack up more blanks.

I was wondering if that was possible. Definately a possibility if the gun was jumped on ordering. What I feel happens is people don't pay attention or they found a new site or don't visit enough to realize whats going on. Well I hope I don't annoy any one but it boils down to ya gots to pay attention! I've passed on some but when I sees something I really like I buys two!

Brian

I have to call lee to make sure all is well with the 311440. I'll discuss the possibilities of adding to an existing order.

Rrusse11
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Gents,
I buy a set of the Lee handles for all my moulds, too much of a PIA to switch 'em, and I write the boolit designation on 'em for ease of identification. Sundog made a comment on how much they're making on the 6cav handles.
I'd like to see the group buys with the handles INCLUDED, surely with an order of 25, Lee should be able to give us a good discount on them, I'd cheerfully pay the extra fee and freight.
FWIW,
R*2

Wayne Smith
05-21-2005, 04:27 PM
The only one of these I've gotten before was the MAV Dutchman 44WCF BP slug, and it did come with handles. Now I'm in on the 311440 and would also be interested in having handles with it.

Bdoyle, if you can check on that when you call and let us know I'll bet you can sell some handles as well. I know I'd be in if they run less than the Midway dealer price and shipping.

Bass Ackward
05-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Too bad we didn't have a Cast Boolits store! Order 10 extra moulds and then sell'em for $10 more. Half to the person going to the PO and the other half to the store.

Richard,

OK. I give up. Why CAN'T we have a Cast Boolit's "Mold" store?

We contribute to .... "the fund". Excess funds could be used to buy what ever molds that the extra funds can cover until we get the .... "mold fund" up to where it can maybe order 25 at a time itself. I guess this is an extra pain for 45nut, but the responsibility could be deligated and passed around to the moderators. (hint, hint)

At $10 over normal charges, eventually the kitty and quantity of molds can be increased. The $10 is worth the risk that the mold run performs and interest on the money. Plus, profits could maybe subsidize this board at some point. This would be available to .... member only. This should be an extra kicker to actually attract and hold new membership.

Just a thought.

Cayoot
05-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Bdoyle, if you can check on that when you call and let us know I'll bet you can sell some handles as well. I know I'd be in if they run less than the Midway dealer price and shipping.

I know that I'd be interested in paying extra for the handles too!