PDA

View Full Version : What SMLE is this?

Three44s
11-26-2010, 11:15 AM
My Bro in Law that I thought was anti ....... just handed me a SMLE that's been bubbaed. ....... but nicely for the most part.

I tried to send it back home but he wants me to get it cleaned up (a lot of oil) and tell him what to get for ammo .........

I answered his questions in 1/2 second ........ it's a SMLE and it takes .303 British ..... he hands it back and says keep it for a while ......

....... OH yeah, I know ......... free cleaning! (See, I was born at night but not last night!)

Well, I have never been wanting to jump into SMLE's as I have a pile of Mausers and Mosins and a RANCH to take care of! BUT ............

BUT this SMLE is talking to me ........ and I want to get his sons (my Nephews) into guns and this is my chance to politic the only liberal in my family that I claim!

The SMLE in question is a trim attractive sporter called:

Santa Fe Model 1944

Golden State Arms Corp.

All the markings on the left side of the main receiver rail are gone ...... drats!

But on the strap that attaches to the trigger guard:

It appears to read .......... "ENSIGN" but the last of that word is missing if I am even guessing right .......

And there is more just below that:

HC2/523A

The above slash mark could be a 1 or a 7 as well.

I can already feel this trim little piece of history reaching out to me ...... I better hurry and get my Bro in Law to take it HOME!!!!!

Three 44s

herbert buckland
11-26-2010, 05:13 PM
From your description you have one of the rifles converted by Santa Fe arms,with out more information such as type of sights ,stock flash hider or not it is imposible to tell what modle it is,these rifles are becoming colectable in there own right these days ,not expencive but gaining in value if in original condition,a couple of photos would clear things up

Three44s
11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Thank you ....... it has sporter sights with the rear as a lay down leaf. A clean muzzle without a flash hider.

I know ...... I need to break through and start posting pictures!!!!

LOL!

Three 44s

WILCO
11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, I have never been wanting to jump into SMLE's as I have a pile of Mausers and Mosins and a RANCH to take care of!

You looking for hired hands??? :kidding:

Hardcast416taylor
11-26-2010, 05:38 PM
First I pollute you mind on the .338/06! Then came the .416 Taylor to bang around in your mind! Does "Uncle Hardcast" have to work on your mind now with the .303!Robert

herbert buckland
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Thank you ....... it has sporter sights with the rear as a lay down leaf. A clean muzzle without a flash hider.

I know ...... I need to break through and start posting pictures!!!!

LOL!

Three 44sIt sounds licke you have the modle 1944,wich is a plainer stocked version of there supreme model,it should have the charger bridge & back sight braket milled of a 5 round magizine ,22 inch long barell with a ramp front sight,the stock will be modified original,the supreme had a special sporting stock made for it otherwise identical

Three44s
11-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Robert,

Once I get the SMLE cleaned (more for my nephew's sake than my Bro in Law) and they get some ammo ....... it going home! LOL!!

(The more I hold this trim little package .......... the LOUDER it speaks to me ......... )

I've seen this before ....... I gotta be strong .......... I gotta be strong ...........

.......................... It's going home ......... soon ................... !

Three 44s

Three44s
11-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Herbert Buckland,

Yes, it's a Santa Fe Model of 1944 ...... it's stamped on the barrel.

The rear charger and original rear sight mount are milled off, the stock looks like a re-worked original. The fore end tip is custom. The front sight is mounted on a ramp by way of a dovetail.

Three 44s

Three44s
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that the receiver has a good sized flat area milled on top of it where the barrel threads into the action.

Three 44s