PDA

View Full Version : What mold for Shiloh

BSkerj
11-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Some of you may have seen this post on a couple other forums but I wanted to ask on this one also. I have just ordered a Shiloh 45/70 from Big Timber and wanted to know if you only could use one mold what would it be. I hope to be using this rifle for targets and hunting. I already have a Lyman 457124 and 457193 and figure these would be a good hunting bullet, but I would like a heavier bullet to add to my collection for target. The rifle is a Sporter #1 with a 30 in. standard octagon. I will be using BP. Thanks in advance !

Bullshop
11-26-2010, 02:01 AM
You already have a couple good molds. You say you want another strictly for hunting, yes? I would and did order an adjustable PP mold from Red River Rick our Canadian member. For hunting with a BPC gun I think there is nothing better than a pure lead PP. With Ricks mold you can adjust the weight of the boolit to fit the game being hunted. Ricks work is of the highest quality and very reasonably priced.
I liked the 45 cal mold I got from him so well I ordered a similar in 50 cal. These molds are for patching to bore diameter which is what those in serious competition seem to be going to.

NickSS
11-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I have not gotten into paper patching bullets yet but as for grease groove bullets I have a Postel 535 gr that works really well for target shooting. The molds you have will work for hunting almost anything but if you want higher velocity get a 350 gr flat point and cast them 30 or 40 to 1. That makes a good deer and elk bullet. By the way the larger the flat point the better for a hunting bullet. You might also look at the BACO molds. A friend of mine has there money bullet and gets great results on targets.

Jon K
11-27-2010, 01:53 AM
If only 1 boolit to use.........Paul Jones 540 gr Creedmoor #45001.

Jon

67bear
11-27-2010, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=Jon K;1069099]If only 1 boolit to use.........Paul Jones 540 gr Creedmoor #45001.

+1 Paul Jones Creedmore. Mine casts 535 with 20-1

longranger
11-27-2010, 10:35 AM
+2 P.J. 45001 Creedmoor

BSkerj
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys ...will go on his site and take a look !

Kenny Wasserburger
11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Target work,

Jones is a great choice, 45001 is excellent.

Another is the Money Bullet BACO Sells moulds, a Jones Money is also a top choice.

KW
The Lunger

LIMPINGJ
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Kenny when the time comes to go hunting do you use the same ones as for the range or do you have a favorite for just hunting use?

longranger
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I have used the P.J. 45001 sized to .452 and the nose filed down for my .45 cal fast twist M/L .Pure lead it shoots very well and I killed a elk with it.
I also size the P.J. 45001 bullet for my Gibbs rifle to .448 and it is as accurate as any rifle I own.
I will be attending Kenny's long range shoot this May and will using this bullet exclusively in my 45-70 and the Gibbs rifle.

Kenny Wasserburger
11-27-2010, 04:26 PM
LimpingJ,

My favorite hunting bullet is the old Gov Nose style, I even had BACO cut me a mould with that very nose in PP.

Bill Bagwell, AKA Rdnck is a big fan of the old Gov Bullet nose shape also. He has killed a lot more Game than I have With BPCR. When in doubt I defer to the guys that actually do it and DO it WELL.

On the Flip side we have only used a Govt bullet on one buffalo and it worked Perfect. We have also used a Postell PP Bullet on 2 other buffalo and had good results also. All 3 killed with my 45-110 Business Rifle.

KW

montana_charlie
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
The Lyman Postell and the PJ Creedmoor are both proven long-range designs of similar weight and length. They both adhere to the weight-forward 'rock-in-a-sock' (Dan Theodore's term) shape to help maintain downrange stability. While either can be made to shoot well in the average Shiloh chamber, the Postell has a slightly slimmer profile in the nose. That can let it set out of the case a bit farther, making a little greater powder capacity when using the 45/70.

When comparing bullets like the Postell and Creedmoor to the Money bullet, you have a broccoli to apples comparison.

The Money nose is all about aerodynamic efficiency, and the weight to make it carry to 1000 yards is in the rear. Downrange stability is achieved by staying over 1300 fps at the muzzle, and the high B.C. (something like .571) keeps more of that velocity available at the far end of the range.

The next one coming down the line is the 'elliptical' nose. You can do your own research on that one, because I am still getting to know the Money.

CM