PDA

View Full Version : spray lube questions

jballs918
10-11-2006, 02:35 AM
ok guys i got a question about this. it say that you can hit lees resizing lube for a 10 to 1 mixture for spray. im in the process of resizing about 1300 223s. so you see where this is heading. now has anyone ever used this for 223s. also is there another spray lube out there that i can use in bulk that will work this well. if so spill the beans. well thanks all and have a good day

Leftoverdj
10-11-2006, 09:04 AM
When the Lee case lube first came out, it was claimed that it could be diluted with water and used as a dip lube. I tried it and it worked, sorta, but I could never get it to totally dissolve in water. There were always little clots which did not much matter to me, but which would have clogged a sprayer in short order.

I have had bad experiences with Hornady One Shot. Stay away from that.

dragonrider
10-11-2006, 09:24 AM
I find that Dillon case lube in the pump spray to about the best I have tried. And as Leftoverdj says stay away for One Shot.

garandsrus
10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Jballs,

You can make your own that is equivalent to Dillons at a much cheaper price... Here's a link for sizing lube (http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing)

John

Dale53
10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
The best case lube I have found when bulk loading is to dilute Lee's case lube in water (10 parts water and 1 part Lee's) and using a wire basket, dip the decapped cases in the solution. Shake the excess off then dump on an opened newspaper to dry overnight. The lube has no effect on the powder so doesn't need cleaned off. It does a fine job and one side benefit is you get no drag from the expanding spud on the reloading die.

Ed Harris supplied this suggestion and he was spot on.

Dale53

largecaliberman
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I've used Lee for many years, diluted. When applying the mixture, I would place them in my walnut media sifter---spray, toss, spray, toss, etc and let it dry. I let them dry not to take chances of rusting my dies, just a precaution.

In this forum garandsrus linked to http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing and mentioned lanolin. :) If that's the case, can't one use one that's most likely available practically in most households like hand lotion such as Jergens diluted with H2O? At least the Boolits would smell pretty. :roll: Just a thought.:castmine:

fourarmed
10-16-2006, 04:14 PM
The Hornady One-Shot is OK if you let it dry thoroughly. Don't believe the 5-10 minutes drying time claims on the can, however. Spray it on, shake 'em around, spray it on again, then let the cases set for several hours or overnight. It's OK then, but I have stuck a lot of cases in dies using it before it's dry.

Rick N Bama
10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I used the Lee/water combo in a spray bottle until I stuck a couple of cases. Never again, now it's Dillon or Imperial Sizing Wax.

Rick

Hip's Ax
10-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Figures I'm the different one. I've used up a dozen or so cans of Hornady One Shot in the last several years with zero problems. I don't even wait, I stick the cases in my Stalwart lube rack and spray trying to get a little in the neck as I go by and resize right away. I've never stuck a case and I reload a lot of calibers from 223 to 30-338 and use it on all of them. Full length, neck size, body die, doesn't matter, I get perfect performance. I would never even consider using anything else. In fact, I'm down to only a couple of cans so I'm going to try and find a deal on a full case next time.

SharpsShooter
10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Figures I'm the different one. I've used up a dozen or so cans of Hornady One Shot in the last several years with zero problems. I don't even wait, I stick the cases in my Stalwart lube rack and spray trying to get a little in the neck as I go by and resize right away. I've never stuck a case and I reload a lot of calibers from 223 to 30-338 and use it on all of them. Full length, neck size, body die, doesn't matter, I get perfect performance. I would never even consider using anything else. In fact, I'm down to only a couple of cans so I'm going to try and find a deal on a full case next time.

Hornady works for me as well. I set em in a loading block, spray from all four sides to be sure everything got covered, shoot a little into the die opening, then grab the first one and start sizing. Fastest stuff I've ever used

SS

FallRun
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Cut your lee resizing lube with alcohol 10 to 1 or even more 15 to 1 and put it in a squirt bottle that's how I do it and it works great and dries fast cause of the alcohol hope this helps one more thing the lube completely dissolves too no clumps like you get with water

Leftoverdj
10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd be wary of the lotions. No telling how much lanolin and how much other crap they have in them. I have used nipple cream for nursing mothers which is straight lanolin made into a cream. It worked well, but not as well as pure lanolin. Pure anhyrous lanolin works at least as well Imperial and is a sight cheaper.

guninhand
10-17-2006, 08:19 AM
For doing .223, I suggest for each batch to be sprayed, have them all standing upright first, so the spray can get in the inside neck. If they are being shot in a semi-auto, a small base sizing die is something to think about.

MacGregor
10-17-2006, 08:51 AM

same here, only problem i've had with one shot is when i hit only one side of the cases.

one shot all the way..

Hip's Ax
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
same here, only problem i've had with one shot is when i hit only one side of the cases.

one shot all the way..

Thats where the Stalwart lube racks come in, they have two rows of holes that are offset. I set the cases up in the rack and after shaking the heck out of my One Shot I spray down at 45 degrees, up one side then I flip the rack around and then down the other side. When I first tried to use One Shot I hated making a mess on my loading trays and the trays hid too much case for my taste so I tried standing them up in a beer flat. The beer flat was darned annoying and then I saw these Stalwart racks, spendy at about $20 each but I have three, 223 size, 30-06 size and belted magnum size and between these three I can lube all my cases quickly and easily. A big plus when your trying to load up 1000 rounds of 223 at the begining of high power season or trying to sneak in a little Garand competition in the middle of the year.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/images/Stlr.jpg

Blueknight2520
10-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Any chance of mesuering that lube rack for me.? i bet i could run some up in the mill prity easly. If you coud mesure the Folowing on the 223 one and the 30-06 size one. An post it or email it to me It would be apresheated.

1 distance between holes center to center if you can. OR distance from edge of 1 hole to the edge of the next hole.

2 spacing from 1st row to the 2nd.

Maybe run some up from delron or somthing. Depending on what i can scroung
BK

Thats where the Stalwart lube racks come in, they have two rows of holes that are offset. I set the cases up in the rack and after shaking the heck out of my One Shot I spray down at 45 degrees, up one side then I flip the rack around and then down the other side. When I first tried to use One Shot I hated making a mess on my loading trays and the trays hid too much case for my taste so I tried standing them up in a beer flat. The beer flat was darned annoying and then I saw these Stalwart racks, spendy at about $20 each but I have three, 223 size, 30-06 size and belted magnum size and between these three I can lube all my cases quickly and easily. A big plus when your trying to load up 1000 rounds of 223 at the begining of high power season or trying to sneak in a little Garand competition in the middle of the year.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/images/Stlr.jpg

David R
10-20-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned it. GB wire pulling lube diluted with alcohol works great. I used one shot for a long time, stuck 2 shells, ruined one '06 sizing die. Then I used RCBS MUCH better and you need a lot less. There is a long discussion about the wire pulling lube. I bought a quart for six bucks. I should have a lifetime supply. I dilute it about 3 to 1 with alcohol. It works great.

David

NickSS
10-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I have been using Midway spray lube from a pump bottle for several years. When doing large lots of brass Like 223s I put a couple hundred in a plastic bag spray lube liberally and shake the bag. This coats the cases well and then I dump them into a screen box I use for removing tumbling media and proceed to size the brass. Works well for me.

abunaitoo
02-17-2007, 04:24 AM
Bringing this thread up again. Lots of good suggestions.
I'm using Midway spray lube. Works good but I don't like how messy it is to remove. I've tried washing it in hot water and laundry soap with no luck. Tumbling it takes it off, but it dirtys the media and sometimes clumps in the shell.
I've tried the Lee lube mixed with 99% alcohol, but it's not as good at sizing as the Midway lube. Easy to clean in soap and water though.
How is the wire pull lube as far as clean up???? Is it water based????
I'm looking for something water base so it's easy to clean off befor tumbling.

DLCTEX
02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Lanolin 1-10 with 99% alcohol, excellent spray lube using a recycled hair spray pump. Dale
Check that, should be 1 liquid lanolin to 4 or 5 isopropyl alcohol. Don't remember where I got the recipe.

Ricochet
02-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Briggs & Stratton sells spray lanolin.

Scrounger
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Briggs & Stratton sells spray lanolin.

CarpetMan has his own source...

trk
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Lanolin 1-10 with 99% alcohol, excellent spray lube using a recycled hair spray pump. Dale

Isopropyl

Ethanol

Methanol

which one?

lanolin or anhydrous lanolin?

DLCTEX
02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Had to check my notes and a good thing. Liquid lanolin- 1 part to 99% isopropyl alcohol 4 to 5 parts. I don't know how anhydrous lanolin would work. I made a half pint so its been a while. Heat both to 105 * (do not use open flame) to aid in mixing. shake well before using. Dale

Ricochet
02-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Yes, anhydrous lanolin will dissolve fine in anhydrous isopropanol. Use the 70% alcohol, and your anhydrous lanolin will be the hydrated kind when the alcohol evaporates.

snuffy
02-19-2007, 02:01 AM
I havn't seen the RCBS case slick mentioned. It's what I've ben using for the last couple years. Really easy to use, cleans up either in the tumbler or with denatured alcohol.

fourarmed
02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Hornady One Shot washes off very easily in hot water. I hit it with a few shots of Mrs. Fourarmed's Spray and Wash, shake it around, and run hot water on it. Push it around a little with a brush, and rinse well. Then I toss it in a towel (If there's one thing I just can't abide, it's water spots on brass.) dump it in a sieve and set it on the furnace vent overnight. If I'm in a hurry, an hour in the oven (electric) at 180 does the job.

I have never stuck a case using One Shot IF I allow it to dry thoroughly. Using it wet, I have stuck several. I still keep a zip lock bag on the bench containing the drill, tap, screw, and washers necessary to pull them.

jonk
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm lazy. I get whatever spray lube is cheaper- dillon or hornady- dump the brass on a cookie sheet, pump the spray on, roll around and go to town. I blow on each one to flash dry it before running up into the press. By doing this and by dumping the brass all heading more or less the same direction, I can spray into the cases to lube the necks.

I have gone the Lee dilluting routine as well. Worked fine.

The question is, what to do to remove the lube from the outside of the case? Tumbling once decapped leaves pieces of media in almost every flashhole. Washing requires sometimes days of drying time. Pain in the kiester any way you look at it.

Dale53
02-20-2007, 02:48 AM
When I am doing volume reloading, I dilute Lee's case lube with water 10/1 and dip the cases with a french fryer basket and let them drain (after shaking them off). Spread out on newspapers and let dry overnight. Be sure and decap cases first so cases will dry quickly. Ed Harris put me on to this by way of one of his articles many years ago.

They are now lubed inside and out (no neck drag-really a pleasure to size). The dried wax is not harmful in anyway to the powder. Load the cartridges and then drop the whole mess in "discarded tumbling media" with a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits. Only tumble for a maximum of 15 minutes. Immediately remove cases from tumbler and separate from media.

Cartridges will look like new ones (that's how the factory does it) and everything is now fine. Minimum time expended with maximum quality.

Dale53

TAWILDCATT
02-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Lyman Makes A Spray Lube.spray Let Dry For A Minute Same With Size Die.i Reform 3o/06 And 348+35 Rem.works For Me. I Thik Most Of These Lubes Were Used In Plants For Forming Dies.
Wildcatt

lovedogs
02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Man, I'm still in the Dark Ages. I still roll mine across a pad with a dab of RCBS water soluable lube on it then just wipe each case with a damp rag after sizing.