PDA

View Full Version : williams 5D vs FP

eljefe
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I am considering either of these for my 94 in 30/30. It is an angle eject, and midway lists both models available. They are about $20 difference in price.

Is the FP worth the extra dough?

I am also looking at replacing the front sight; it is just a black bead. I would like to go with gold or white, but would also consider a "fire sight".

This rifle is for hunting in the woods, max shot would be 100 yards; more likely 100 feet.:grin:

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

canon6
10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
If you are not going to be changing loads very often,then the 5d is fine.I have tem on two Rossi 92 Win 94.The FP is a little easier to adjust for different loads HTH Doug

Char-Gar
10-11-2006, 08:06 AM
About the second or third time you adjust the rear sight, you will wish you had spent the extra $20.00 for a click adjustable sight.

Junior1942
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I'd go with a Fire Sight front for sure. The 5D rear is fine if you shoot the same load all the time. Each graduation on the scale is .020" and according to your sight radius translates to about 1" @ 25 yards.

Boz330
10-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Roger that and the target knobs are nice as well.

Urny
10-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I own both and cannot express my experience any better than Charger said it.

eljefe
10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I might go for the foolproof, since I am going to be shooting a variety of loads.

Junior, your website is the impetus to upgrade the sights on this rifle. I really appreciate your articles; read 'em again last evening.

I have a tang sight on a savage model 99, but it gets in the way. My thoughts are to get the benefits of an aperture, while still being able to wrap my thumb around the wrist when firing.

My brother has the same tang sight (marble's) on his rossi 92, and he also has the firesight.
It makes it alot easier to see, and really tightened up my groups.

Thanks again for the feedback!:)

Jon K
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I also vote for the Williams FP-TK. Positive click movements- repeatable. I have had it on a 64 & 94. Although I prefer the Marbles, it sets closer to your eye, making it easier to focus, and no screwdriver needed.

I know what you mean about grip with the Tang sight. I overcame that, or you could say got used to it by only putting my index and middle finger into the lever loop, which positions your hand a little farther back, and this does not affect the trigger reach.

Just thoughts to consider,
Jon

versifier
10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd go with the FP for reasons stated, excellent units, nothing wrong with 5D's either, but they are harder to adjust. They're fine if you set up your hunting rifle for one load and leave it that way. Take out the insert as soon as you are sighted in before hunting - you can keep both eyes open that way and not lose your depth perception and ability to find and track moving game.

You couldn't pay me to take a FireSight. I have thrown away two of my own and had the pleasure of tossing three that I replaced on friends' rifles. The little plastic light pipes are very delicate and I have yet to see one survive a single hunting season. They are nothing more than a cheap and useless *** as far as I am concerned.

Bead front sights are not optimum for use with reciever sights. The best sight picture for a hunting rifle comes from a wide flat-topped post, just like what's on an M1 Carbine or a Garand. There's a reason they were set up that way. The wide post is visible in low light where you would lose a skinny bead, especially if you are moving from sunlight into shade. If you like, you can paint the top of the post's face with white or orange nail polish for target work, though I prefer black for fall/winter hunting. I sight 6 o'clock low at 75yds and that leaves me dead on at 150.

GooseGestapo
10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I prefer the 5D, but then, I sight and forget.

The firesights are fragile, but I've never broken one. (I'm careful with my firearms).

I have some on some Marlin levers, and I have modifed the hoods to allow light to enter from the top, ala the newer factory hoods.

Either way, remove the apertures before hunting. Except in bright daylight, and most hunting conditions are NOT, the apertures don't allow enough light to be able to see the front, even a Firesight.

I have a firesight on my CVA inline, and a WGRS (variant of the 5D), and have found removal of the aperture mandatory for hunting under hardwoods during early season while trees still have leaves. Don't have to remember to remove it because I've lost it.
Don't intend to replace it either.

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2006, 04:50 AM
I dont by the cheaper ones anymore. there just to much of a pain in the but to adj. I dont like firesights either ive used them and other fiber optics on rifles and handguns and just dont get a sharp enough sight picture and ive broken them on marlins and on 1911s. The last one i broke was on my sti and it broke during a match. It just cracked in half while shooting and wasnt even bumped. Im all done with them. It just isnt worth risking a match or a hunt over something that cant be trusted.

Four Fingers of Death
10-12-2006, 06:52 AM
I've had Williams, Redfeieds and Lymans, once set I have never touched the settings (sorta like Leupold scopes). Mick.

eljefe
10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks again for all the replies; good info!

I measured the height of the front sight blade, and it seems pretty darn high.
I am surmising that I would be able to use a lower blade since the receiver sight is closer to the barrel than the stock sight. Also, I would like keep the front sight as low as possible to minimize the chance of damage.

So, any thoughts on front sight height from williams sight users? What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Howie38
10-12-2006, 04:02 PM
You can get the FP with the (proper hight) "Fire Sight" as a kit.
Got one for the 336C through Midway.

versifier
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
On two of my rifles fitted with Williams sights I have made my own front posts out of brass barstock, one that mounted on the barrel with the factory screw holes, the other required d&t two holes. I also like to keep them as low as possible, but it is not always practical with certain action types, but the W94 is not one of the problematic ones. Mine has the original factory front sight, but it gets easily lost in low light (it's a family heirloom through four generations so I can't attack it properly [smilie=1: ). I hate the skinny post with bead. My brother has no problem with it and he uses it for hunting, I just shoot targets with it.