PDA

View Full Version : trin or lead? 8mm turkish tin?

badbob454
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a case with a soldered metal tin of the 8mm turkish ammo, it is lead or tin as it melts easily does anyone know if it is pure tin or a mix? it is approx 1937 manufacture i need to know if it is a good bullet alloy ... any help is appreciated

fryboy
11-24-2010, 02:48 PM
if it's like the one i tried it messed up my melt and my pot - took forever to clean it out , not sure what it is , i even tried the buttons of the bandoliers , my best advice is to try it in a separate smelt and see what you get as they could of changed from year to years ( mine was early 40's IIRC ) watch the melt temp and that should help decide and maybe a specific gravity test one ingotized

badbob454
11-24-2010, 05:08 PM
if it's like the one i tried it messed up my melt and my pot - took forever to clean it out , not sure what it is , i even tried the buttons of the bandoliers , my best advice is to try it in a separate smelt and see what you get as they could of changed from year to years ( mine was early 40's IIRC ) watch the melt temp and that should help decide and maybe a specific gravity test one ingotized

THANKS ILL TRY A SEPERATE POT , PS I SOLD ALL MY BANDOLEERE ON THE E B*Y STORE AND THE CLIPS TOO PAID FOR ALL THE AMMO PURCHASED YEARS AGO @ 9,OOO ROUNDS ... YOU SAY IT MESSED IT UP WAS IT CLUMPY OR WOULDNT CAST GOOD ?:coffee: THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

fryboy
11-24-2010, 05:14 PM
wouldnt cast good and was clumpy it also had the weirdest tinge to it after melted , i guessed that it was part zinc ( this was in the early 90's BTW and such cool forums werent around then ) it was soft in the form it came in but harder than lead ( lead as thick as my can was bends alot easier ) it really clogged up my spout as well and it was where i learned the trick of casting all my scrap pewter into their own ingots lolz

badbob454
11-25-2010, 02:32 AM
thanks happy shooting

badbob454
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
please delete this thread