PDA

View Full Version : I done a GOOD thing...

Uncle R.
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
A co-worker's husband got the opportunity to take his 14 year old son deer hunting. First time in years for the father, and first time ever for the son. When I heard about their plans I invited father and son to our club range for a sighting in and practice session.
The boy was going to use his dad's BAR .30-06 for the hunt. We found it to be throwing about 8 inches high at 100 yards and I dialed the Bushnell down to about 2" high at that range - then explained to the father why that setting was better than "right on."
Surprisingly the father could shoot pretty well. The son started out doing good from the bench, but soon his performance was slipping. Very skinny, all arms and legs like a half-grown puppy - that .30-06 was pushing him around pretty badly.
Uncle R. to the rescue! :roll: I uncased my stainless mini-30 and let the lad try his hand with 7.62 x 39. Noticeably less blast and about half the recoil, his shooting improved dramatically. We worked on the kneeling position and I showed him my favorite Wisconsin deer woods position - the "tree shot." (Patent pending.)
I Explained to them both that the Ruger was an adequate 100 yard deer gun, but lacked the accuracy and power needed for long shots. I then offered to loan it to them for deer season. That teenager lit up like a 60 watt bulb. :-D "Can we dad?"
So - A boy's first hunt will (hopefully) be enjoyable and successful, and I should get an interesting post-op report.:drinks:

454PB
10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Good job. The worst thing you can do to a new young hunter is force him to use a gun that he/she is afraid of. Confidence in the weapon is of utmost importance.

carpetman
10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Uncle R. --- I think the boy will do better with a gun he is comfortable with even if it doesnt have as much power. Too much gun if it causes a bad shot will give bad results regardless of how much power it has. You really cant just hit em anywhere with a .300 mag for example and it will compensate for the bad shot. My often mentioned grandson now 17 has taken a bunch of deer since he was 9 years old and I think a big part of his success was having guns that he was comfortable with. He moved up to .243 at age 11. Last year I gave him a .308. He didnt need more gun,I just happened to have a Win88 in .308 that I thought he would like. He has shot it 7 times and has 4 big game animals. Two practice shots and one ten pointer took a finishing shot(was down for the count).

KCSO
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
At 14 and 15 my son killed two deer with two shots from the 7.62x39. I would say it worked as well as a 30-30. His grandfather gave hime the gun and he wanted to use it so he practiced, put the bullets in the right place and went home happy. Nothing wrong with the little mini 30.

RugerFan
10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Yup, that 7.62x39 is just right for kids. My son took his first deer (3pt buck) with that caliber when he was 10 years old.

9.3X62AL
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
For all intents and purposes--the 7.62 x 39 Soviet IS a 30-30 WCF. I've wondered more than once what kind of accuracy could be had from a good bolter with good bullets in this caliber. More bolt rifles are being made in this chambering, I suspect we'll have some good info as soon as the gunrags STOP pimping the overbore barrel-burners. A LOT of posters here are doing good work with cast boolits in this caliber already.

Bigjohn
10-10-2006, 07:44 PM
IMHO; the shooting sports lose a good number of potentual shooters because someone INTRODUCES thems to the sport with too much gun. I know there is no joy in having your shoulder rearranged with a ballbreakenmuchinmuzzleblastenkillembothenden gun.
Let them work up the scale at their pace.

I once had a Green river barrel mountain rifle in percussion .54; a good shooter with round ball. One fellow we took shooting was interested BUT the calibre put him off shooting it; I loaded a half charge and let him fire it into the berm then he came back for a second shot which was full load. After that we had to show him how to load and shoot it; then we had to pry it from him at the end of the day.

On the 7.62 x 39 M43 cartridge: I have and still do own and shoot a rifle in this cartridge; presently due to the laws banning ownship of semi-autos without a 'C' class licence (and then only available while working with the gun, usually cancelled at the end of the job), I am shooting a AIA M-10A bolt action based on the number 4 LEE ENFIELD. I have not taken this combo hunting yet but it will bag most of what is available here in OZ.

One hunter in ADELAIDE, who regularly chases goats in the Flinders Ranges had a Rem Mod 600 (?) re-barreled to this calibre. it worked a treat when they sorted out magazine feed problems. Deadly on the feral goats.

John.

TCLouis
10-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the noise starts shooters down the road to NOT likeing the shooting sports almost as fast as the recoil.

Last year a friend want her son to start hunting, but he did not even like the recoil from full bore 30-30.

I used some of the same loads (Seafire's Blue Dot downloads) in my Contender and sent some even more reduced loads with boolits (Yea SOUPCAN).

A little shooting with the reduced loads and he used 110 coated carbine bullet at 2100 fps to harvest his first deer. His mother was in the stand and relayed how prouud she was to watch him watch this deer mosey accross 300 yards of field before it got to him. All that and he held for a perfect broadside shot.

There is NOT a doubt in my mind that the Soupcan at 2100-2200 out of 30 Herrett, 30-30 r other 30 Cal could harvest any of our typical deer at reasonable ranges and a good broadside presentation.

and did

Topper
10-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Very nice gester Uncle 8-)
Don't forget that Hodgden list reduced loads for youth.
I loaded some for a friend's 12 year old son in 270 last year, got his first buck last year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Topper_1950/Tanners_1st.jpg
Note, the gun had a brake on it as well, very little recoil.

Frank46
10-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Topper, the expression on that boy's face is priceless!!!!!!!, ya done good. Frank

Uncle R.
10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I think the noise starts shooters down the road to NOT likeing the shooting sports almost as fast as the recoil.

Well said, and I agree. Even if there were NO recoil at all the muzzle blast and concussion from some rifles is like having a cherry bomb go off two feet from your nose, and can be VERY intimidating. Smaller, more efficient cartridges and longer barrels can minimize the effect. The 7.62 x 39 is very good in that regard.

Topper - nice picture! Thats EXACTLY what I'm hoping to achieve here! To some extent I can only cross my fingers and hope. I won't be actually taking the boy hunting - that job falls (RIGHTLY) to his father. Thanks to all of you for your support. I'll let you know how it turns out.

45nut
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
And the hearing protection should not ne overlooked either,,that young man had top flight guidance for sure.
That smile is priceless to be sure,no one can ever pry that memory from him now.