PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Green Dot

tbierley
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Today I loaded some 7.62x54R rounds with 14gr of green dot behind a Lee cast Gc 155gr sized .312. I would like to know if this is a good starting load to fire in my Model 91 and 91/30 I have the bore slugged on them at .311 to .3115. Thanks.

Rangefinder
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
14gr of Red Dot is a real nice "plinker" load for these. Green Dot is just a little slower on the burn chart and I don't have any of my material right in front of me--but I seem to recall Green Dot and Red Dot being nearly identical loading in everything I shoot (rifle-wise anyway) according to the data I've seen. Should be just fine. Where did you pull that load data from?

dnepr
11-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Today I loaded some 7.62x54R rounds with 14gr of green dot behind a Lee cast Gc 155gr sized .312. I would like to know if this is a good starting load to fire in my Model 91 and 91/30 I have the bore slugged on them at .311 to .3115. Thanks.

i hope this goes well for you I am working on something similar with the same bullet and cartrige , I am using them unsized in a 311 bore ( haven't bought sizing dies yet) I am working on a limbo load to see how slow I can go with these bullets and still have them shoot minute of grouse at 25 yards . I am hoping the the spitzer like nose on these will slip through a grouse with little meat damage

madsenshooter
11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
How do you get that close to a grouse, catch them sitting in the snow" I'm curious, never shot one on the wing, they always scare the h--- out of me, before I can recover, they're gone. That reminds me what's the plural of grouse anyway? Mouse-mice, louse-lice, therefore it outta be grouse-grice?! I'd like to have me several grice to make Thanksgiving dinner out of! I remember bringing one home to granny one day and her telling me, mmm, Bobby, those are gooood!

dnepr
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Yup grouse can do that sometimes , I think the grouse up north here are a little more relaxed usually.. if you are on a loging road were the 4x4's and quads roam they are flighty as H--l , a good shot with a .22 can pop them at 40-50 yards before they flush or a 12 gauge with full choke but if you get off the beaten path around here poking about the ridges for deer where no one has hunted them the are stupid , So I like to to have 4 - 6 rounds of grouse getter in my pocket to harvest these while out deer hunting , I agree with you and granny grouse are delicious , better than turkey for sure , we have ruffed grouse ( white meat) and spruce hen ( dark meat ) ( or liver on wings to those who don't care for them) and if I go a little north of here there are also sharptails , as for the plural of grouse I think it is spelled Y U M M Y :bigsmyl2:

My go to meat gun is a marlin .444 so I make up little shotshells for it , I use 12 gr of unique a cereal box wad, fill the rest of the case with shot ( about 5/8 ounce ) and another cereal box wad sealed with candlewax . I will be changing the " over shot wad" to a 44 cal gascheck crimped in place . that way when I put the box of shells on the truck dash with the defrost on I don;t have a mess:oops:

my second day out hunting was good 2 ruffies and a button buck , but most times these grouse getter allow me to come home emptyhanded a little less frequently :grin:

oh ya once it snows look for the them in the trees ,

madsenshooter
12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
More in the pines than elsewhere I've discovered. Turkeys holed up in there with them too. I spent a half day running around a pine forest once. Kept hearing turkeys up in the trees but never got a shot, as it seems they sure knew where I was. I enjoy the smile the memory of Granny's comment brings to me, sure miss her.

dnepr
05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
well I finally got to testing my 7.62x54 grouse getters, a Privi case with 9 gr of 571 with a 2 gr chunk of dacron and a Lee 155 unsized and no gaschek went int a 1 inch group at 25 yards . the velocity was 1070 fps , I did a bit of an informal test , I don't want to destroy a lot of meat if I shoot a grouse , so I shot a 500ml( half quart) plastic bottle filled with water. bottom of the bottle facing me , and the destruction was dramatically less than a .357 158swc at 1150, so It has some potential

nanuk
05-13-2011, 03:22 AM
we can't (legally) shoot grice up here with a centerfire.

I think it is .22RF or shotgun.. Can't even use a .32RF

dnepr
05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
We can but don't get caught wondering around the woods with a centerfire and no big game licence

Donor8x56r
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
My Polish M44 likes 13.7Gr of Red Dot and/or 14.6 of Green Dot

Both loads are in Norma cases,neck sized,primed with S&B primers and topped with 200gr .314 Spire Point boolit from NOE mould (thx guys!Excellent mould)

Both loads are mild and produce similar accuracy-about 3-4 inch at a 100yrs

BTW-extending bayo ruins accuracy ( at least for me) -I cant keep bollits anywhere near 8x11.5 paper

JIMinPHX
06-30-2011, 11:03 PM
BTW-extending bayo ruins accuracy ( at least for me) -I cant keep bollits anywhere near 8x11.5 paper

What is "bayo"?

JeffinNZ
06-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Bayonet. Not to be confused with 'fishnet' or 'internet'.

The primary function of the bayo on a M44 is to hand a cinder block on for when you are shooting Combloc 'heavy ball'.

JIMinPHX
07-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks,
Sometimes I miss the obvious stuff.