PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for peeps

shooting on a shoestring
11-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Just got a bargin out of a pawn shop. 336 in 30/30, early 70s. It needs peep sights. I want a reciever mount system. Quality is more important than price as I'll keep this thing a long time. Dad has a Lyman on his Krag that I like alot, but that's my only experience with peeps.

What brands have ya'll used? Good/bad points? Just want a little input before I shell out dollars.

C A Plater
11-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I use a lot of Williams Fool-Proof sights. Target knobs are available and handy if you play with a lot of different loads. They're made of mostly aluminum and are well crafted. There are two different mount types available for your Marlin, one that mounts to the side of the receiver and the other in the top scope mount holes. Either will fit. A vintage steel Lyman or Redfield are great too but really hard to find these days.

excess650
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I prefer the Redfield over the Lyman, but the steel Lyman over aluminum. You'll have to search around to find these(steel), but definitely worth doing, IMO. I also have the Williams Foolproof and theyr'e a good sight if you don't object to aluminum. The Williams and Lyman 66 (aluminum) are still in production. The Williams that mounts on top of the receiver may require a taller front sight. There are others that mount on top, but none offer as much windage and elevation adjustment as the Redfield or Lyman.

BTW, there were a couple different Redfields as well. The one I prefer has click adjustments like the Lyman 66. There is also a slide adjustable variety and I think the last Redfields might have been aluminum.

If you're not planning on adjusting often for different loads, even a Williams 5D can work fine.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Pay the extra for target sights (adjustable) It will be worth it in the long run for the convenience of adding or subtracting clicks for adjustments. BvT

gnoahhh
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
All of those mentioned will certainly get the job done. I've used old Lymans and Williams on a bunch of different rifles over the years and don't have complaint about any of them (although I do lean toward the old all-steel Lyman).

That said, how about a good tang sight? I use nothing but old Lyman tang sights on my Savage 1899's now and love them. I like the fact that the peep hole is a lot closer to my eye, making target acquisition a tad quicker. (That could all be in my head though!) Another bonus is the fact that they can be folded down out of the way if one needs/wants to use a flip-up barrel mounted rear sight or, Gasp!, a scope.

P.S. avoid the new Marbles tang sights if you have a choice. They're just not as well made as the older Marbles and Lymans (but will certainly work).

Newtire
11-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Just got a bargin out of a pawn shop. 336 in 30/30, early 70s. It needs peep sights. I want a reciever mount system. Quality is more important than price as I'll keep this thing a long time. Dad has a Lyman on his Krag that I like alot, but that's my only experience with peeps.

What brands have ya'll used? Good/bad points? Just want a little input before I shell out dollars.

I would steer clear of the aluminum Redfields. I was surprised at how nice the Williams "Foolproof" are as compared to the other type of Williams sight. These are tops in my book for being able to hold the "0" and being able to change settings quickly and positively. The clicks are nice in other words.

thx997303
11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
If you just need a good peep rear sight that mounts right up and you aren't worried about clicks, buy a skinner rear sight and don't look back.

Sprue
11-24-2010, 01:06 PM
He also makes tang flip up sites you just have to ask

Skinner Sites

NickSS
11-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I have used a lot of different reciever sights in my life including all of the ones mentioned above. if you can find one a good condition lyman or redfield steel reciever sight is hard to beat. However, if you are looking for a good sight new the only one that I buy is the Williams FP sights. Your older Marlin will be setup fort a side mounted set and I recommend them over the top mounted ones (I have both). The new made Lyman 66 is not as well made as the Williams FP sight as I have a couple of them an had one fall apart on me. I do not buy them anymore. I also recommend that you stay away from the Williams 5D sight. They are good sights but a PITA to adjust for fine windage and elevation changes. As a hunting sightf for a single load they are fine but if you plan to do more than that with your gun spend the extra for the click adjustments of the FP sight.

fecmech
11-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I like the Williams FP and recommend them highly. I use them on a .357 lever gun alternating between magnum and .38 level loads and ranges from 50 -200 yds. I have the Target knob on mine because I'm constantly running the elevation up and down between the different loads and ranges that I shoot and the settings are consistent and repeatable. I'm not sure what advantage a steel sight is over the aluminum one as the FP adjustment is a steel ball bearing on a serrated steel knob. You won't wear that out in a couple of lifetimes!

madsenshooter
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
You're shopping the wrong time of year, peeps come out before Easter.

pietro
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Dr.Tim Skinner is not only a quality person to do business with, he also happens to make very high quality receiver peep sights expressly for Marlin rifles ( +3), in your choice of blued carbon steel, stainless steel, or brass.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

Since his peeps are top-mounted in the scope mount holes, a front sight higher than issue will be needed to zero the rifle, as will a slot filler blank to replace the rear barrel sight for a clean sight picture.

Dr. Tim can/will supply both, reasonably.

btrapr1
11-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I picked up a long lever picatinny Weaaver rail, new front sight and rear peep for my 336 35 Remington

love it! mounted a Bushnell Trophy 3MOA red dot...and have the peeps for back-up.

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html

thx997303
11-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I might add this bit of information.

Skinner sights is now owned, and all of the sights are now made by, Andy Parson.

He is a neighbor of Dr. Skinner.

Anywho, the reports seem to indicate that the sights Mr. Parson makes are actually Better than the sights Dr. Skinner made. Same design of course.

I have mine from just before Tim sold out to Andy. It's an excellent sight. But it's designed for the hunter.

Not the target shooter.

kelbro
11-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I have two sets of Skinner sights. One on my 1894 44 and one on my 357 Cowboy. One set from before Andy took over and one since. Andy is a real good guy to deal with. Well made, rugged sights and with the selection of apertures that are available, you can go from a ghost ring to 100yd load development in a matter of seconds. I usually work up a load or two for a rifle so 'clicking' isn't a concern.

Tom-ADC
11-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Williams period.

Bullshop
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I like the Lyman side mounted receiver sight that has micrometer click adjustable knobs but also has a quick adjust release button on the side of the sight.
This way you can record settings for different ranges and quick adjust in the field and also use the micro clicks for sighting in.
I have these both old and new in steel/old and aluminum/new and even though I do like the steel better (all in my mind) I have had no problems with either. The last one I bought from Midway maybe 3 or 4 years ago was about $60.00

northmn
11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Depends somewhat on usage. I have had an inexpensive Williams 5-D on my Marlin for a few years. As I shoot the same load in it it ahs served very well as everything is locked down. One of those guns where you might shoot it twice a deer season. One to see if its sighted in and once to get the deer. Were I to play with different loads I would want a more adjustable sight, but there is an advantage to sights you leave alone once sighted in.

DP

Rodfac
11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Plus one on Williams Foolproof...and I also like the slotted adjustment screws as opposed to target knobs...the screw types make for a cleaner profile and hang up less in brush and clothing when I'm hunting or woods loafing. I do a lot of load development and find the slotted types no add'l bother. The target knobs on the other hand, bulk up the receiver too much.

You might consider a "Skinner" peep-sight rear and post front as an option. They're extremely well made, present a very low profile and are made for hunting. The replacement post is of the military type...ie a plain flat-topped post as opposed to the bead present on factory front sights. For target work, the flat-top post shows up well against target paper and can be made much more visible for hunting by dabbing with type writer correction fluid, "white out". It's what I've used on all my open sighted rifles for years...beads or flat-topped post, it shows up superbly against squirrel hair or the shoulder hair of deer.

Williams also offers a low profile peep sight for the rear receiver bridge, the WRGS model as I recall, which is of the Skinner type.

With any receiver sight, you can remove the aperture, leaving a "ghost ring" type of hunting peep...very effective out to say 100 yds in timber hunting.

HTH's Rodfac

missionary5155
11-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Greetings
I recon all I have used are the Williams Foolproofs. They are simple to mount and work. I guees if you are going to do alot of bench work at varias ranges the target knob model would be better. I site my lever rifles to whatever a reasonable range is for me and that caliber / purpose, lock it down and practice enough I can hit anything in between.
I do also use tang sites on half my lever guns and like both systems.

thx997303
11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
As for the skinner front sights.

They have recently released a new style front sight. I believe they call it the sourdough sight.

Anyway, It's a square post front sight with a square brass insert.

It looks like a good front sight to me.

shooting on a shoestring
11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
OK, Thanks for the responses. This is better than I had hoped for. I had never heard of Skinner, good info.

Do the Williams FP sights require drilling and tapping the receiver on the 336?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

One more thing...Fire sight front??? Any good?

mroliver77
11-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Nope, no drilling for the FP. No experience with the fire sightsters.
Jay

OK, Thanks for the responses. This is better than I had hoped for. I had never heard of Skinner, good info.

Do the Williams FP sights require drilling and tapping the receiver on the 336?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

One more thing...Fire sight front??? Any good?

shooting on a shoestring
11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I ordered the Williams FP Fire sight set.

Thanks for all the education folks. Much appreciated.

shooting on a shoestring
12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Got it in the mail tonight. Just mounted both the front and rear. Took about 10 minutes. Love it. Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend and see how it works.