PDA

View Full Version : Typical target distances

Limey
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I know there are guy's on here who shoot CAS and SASS....

...what are the typical distances for the revolver section of the comps?....how big are the targets?

....and what are the typical distances and target sizes for the rifle and shotgun sections?......

Thanks for your feedback,

Straight shootin',

Limey

Groo
11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Groo here
Close and closer..

runfiverun
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
bout 7-10 feet for revolver and i never seen any ever over 25 yds for rifle.
the targets range from 1'x1' to 2x2 or so. shotgun stuff can be poppers at 20' or a clay, or more of the shapes like above.
the long range rifle was up about 100 yds sometimes though, and i just shot them with the rifle i had with me.
i usually just point shot the targets.

ReloaderFred
11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
At our matches, the pistol targets are normally at about 7 to 10 yards, and measure 14" x 18". The rifle targets are set at roughly 20 yards, and are 12"x12" squares. The shotgun targets are set at the same distance as the pistol targets. We use other targets as well, with some of them motor driven and moving. Some shotgun targets will launch a clay bird in the air when knocked down, making it a two shot target.

The most fun of all is the Potato Tree, which is made of rebar and in the general shape of a person or a tree. At each extremity, there are two spikes and a potato is impaled on them. These are shot with a shotgun and every scrap of potato must be shot off, including shreds of skin. I've seen many a shooter run out of shotgun shells on the potato tree and still have a scrap of potato skin hanging there, mocking them.......

The SASS motto is, "no target is so close, or so large, that it can't be missed".............

Hope this helps.

Fred

Limey
11-24-2010, 04:02 PM
.....thanks boys for the info....

At our last CAS style event the pistol targets were a couple of steels plates about a foot square. In addition there were two steel disc, 4 ins in diameter edges touching, one red, the other white, red being a no shoot target with big penalty points.....these were all set up at 25 meters....that's 27yards!........or 81 feet...

With the ''basic'' traditional sights on my Uberti Cattleman in conjunction with my poor eye sight and full power loads.......the big plates were hit but the discs were a no-no for me......I got to go and practise a lot more!.....

The rifle targets were 4 inch diameter steel discs suspended on chains at 25 meters.......and full size steel chickens were set up at 20 meters for the shotgun section.

These chicken silhouettes are half inch steel plates, weigh a ton and take some knocking over....we are limited to size 7 1/2 shot max for safety reasons.....anybody shooting with cylinder chokes struggle to get enough kinetic energy onto the targets to knock them down......

I have to down load my Marlin 45/70 Cowboy lever action to be eligible to shoot it in the comps........less than 50% power....but it'd still buckle the targets!....

Straight shootin',

Limey

NickSS
11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
At my club we have shot at a number of different targets of different sizes. Most of the pistol targets are set at between 7 and 25 yards but mostly around 10 to 15 yards. They are around a foot square but as most of them are of multiple shapes (clubs, dimonds, spades, harts, cowboys, cowboy hats, and etc.) you can miss them if not holding in the center. Rifle targets are the same targets but setup at ranges of 25 to 50 yards depending on the scenerio. Shotgun targets are usually set at around 10 to 15 yards. Targets are easy to hit and mostly are missed due to forgetting to even look down the barrel of your gun. I am far from the fastest shooter but I almost never miss anything.

Limey
11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Nick...

.....when the target is shooting back at you the fastest miss has never beaten a slow hit.....

Straight shootin',

Limey

Doug Bowser
12-15-2010, 01:43 PM
This is why I left SASS. The targets are soooo close the lead back splash can hurt, especially shotgun shooting. I never set up shotgun targets closer than 15 yards, rifle closer than 15 yards and pistol at less than 10 yards.

Also the game is set up so the best shots don't always win. You can miss fast enough to be a winner.

Doug Bowser
formerly "The Lone Yankee"