PDA

View Full Version : unertl

hiram
11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a unertl with mounts for a good price. I am concerned about a repair if it breaks since they are no longer around.

Is Unertl a durable scope?

Doc Highwall
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes they are good, I have two 15X 2" Ultra Varmints.

old turtle
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Parsons Scope Service can repair them. I have had several scopes worked on. They are excellent scopes. i know you will be happy I am sure

abunaitoo
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Do you know if they have parts for them????
Can you post a web address???

old turtle
11-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Just Google Parsons Scope Service and they do have some parts, among them recoil springs I know for sure. He also bought out the left over Fecker parts. He only works on the old external adjustment scopes.

oldhickory
11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I beleive J. Unertl Optics is still in business, though not making commercial sales at this time. Last I heard they were manufacturing exclusively for the military.

They are very durable, and should last into your grandchildren's lives with proper care.

c3d4b2
11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
For more info you can join the Unertl Group on Yahoo

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unertl/

Bret4207
11-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Probably the finest American scope ever made.

akajun
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I beleive J. Unertl Optics is still in business, though not making commercial sales at this time. Last I heard they were manufacturing exclusively for the military.

They are very durable, and should last into your grandchildren's lives with proper care.

I beleive the rifle scope division was sold off, and is now defunct. US Optics was making a copy of the 10x military scope in use with snipers, but From what I understand, due to lack of supply problems and repairs, they have gone to Leaupolds now.

oldhickory
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I beleive the rifle scope division was sold off, and is now defunct. US Optics was making a copy of the 10x military scope in use with snipers, but From what I understand, due to lack of supply problems and repairs, they have gone to Leaupolds now.

It could very well be, last time I called them they just said they were out of the sporting scope market indefinately, and all current production was for the military, but that was some years ago.

hiram
11-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I've decided to buy it. I should be getting it Sunday.

armed_partisan
11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
So the company that was making the Military scopes WAS the same company that made all of the sporting models you see around? I was under the impression that they weren't the same company, that they changed hands after the original owner died.

JRMTactical
11-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I've decided to buy it. I should be getting it Sunday.
Hey, post some pics of that bad boy once you get it! Unertl's were always a point of interest for me. akajun is right, I think, US Optics got a contract from the military to refurb the old models. They might also point you in the right direction for any questions. What you gonna put it on?

hiram
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
pedersoli, .357