PDA

View Full Version : Need Magnet for Screwdriver

Shiloh
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Folks,

I have a screwdriver set that came from Midway as one of the unadvertised specials.
It is a Pachmyer set with various blades. Paid $8.99 for it so I didn't expect much, but it useful to throw in the range bag.

My question is, where can I get a cheap replacement magnet?? The missing magnet measures 1/8th" by 5/16th's"

I found some online but they want about $8 plush shipping for two. I just need one and would like it cheap. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Men!!

Shiloh

mooman76
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Radio Sh.ack used to always have various magnets there

D Crockett
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I have one in a cheep screwdriver you can have just for the postage pm me and I will go measure it to make sure it is the size you want D Crockett

buck1
11-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Magnetic pick up tools at the autoparts store. aboyt $2.00 i think.

fryboy
11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
one could also magnetize the shank either with a ceramic/metal magnet or the a/c power trick , i often do it to various tools , FWIW the electric trick makes a stronger magnet but often is too much for delicate jobs

timkelley
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Fryboy, electric trick? I feel like I should already know but the space in my head keeps getting larger and emptier.

fryboy
11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Fryboy, electric trick? I feel like I should already know but the space in my head keeps getting larger and emptier.

allow me to save a few words and leave a link to you tube ( foto's sometimes helps ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0kC2Oory5c

plz keep in mind that one of the strongest magnets is a electro magnet and it is magnetic only when the thing is energized ( see quite a few on cranes to pick up scrap or other steel )

mister gizmo
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Like Fryboy, I have a small magnetizer that'll magnetize and de-magnetize screwdriver shafts and tips.

Looks like a cube 1-1/2" on each side and a longitudinal hole through the center. Passing a blade through the middle magnetizes it and rubbing the blade along the exterior of the gadget removes the magnetization.

Probably got it through Edmund Scientific or JC Whitney some years ago. Google it up.

300winmag
11-24-2010, 10:41 PM
small magnetizer that'll magnetize and de-magnetize screwdriver shafts and tips.

picked it up at the dollar store $3 works just fine.

Charlie Sometimes
11-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Contact Midway, or better yet Pacmayr, they will probably replace it for you- might even send you another driver handle.

shotman
11-25-2010, 01:17 AM
lowes or home depot has a good one in the tool section does better job as tip snaps in

Tom-ADC
11-25-2010, 12:58 PM
When I needed a magnetic screwdriver in the old days I'd take a length of insulated wire and wrap the blades length in a coil of wire, then I'd zap the wire on a car battery one end on the positive terminal & one on the negitive. Wear gloves & you don't need to hold it on the battery just a fast touch.

geargnasher
11-26-2010, 12:32 AM
When I needed a magnetic screwdriver in the old days I'd take a length of insulated wire and wrap the blades length in a coil of wire, then I'd zap the wire on a car battery one end on the positive terminal & one on the negitive. Wear gloves & you don't need to hold it on the battery just a fast touch.

+1 Tom, I do that to all my screwdrivers/nutdrivers at work, works lots better than those "magenetizer" gizmos.

Gear

Shiloh
11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Bought a new cheapy small packaged set from Home Depot. Husky brand from China, just like the others. $4.88 for the set.

When I stumble across an magnet, I'll fix the other one. Of what I looked at, some of the magnets are "C" clipped in, some have a pressed in bushing to hold them in, still others look hot glued in.

SHiloh

felix
11-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Need magnets to hold papers onto the fridge? The older disk packs that the PC's used use the most powerful pieces I have ever seen. Dinner plate thickness at most, and about the size of a teaspoon bowl. ... felix

Shiloh
12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Need magnets to hold papers onto the fridge? The older disk packs that the PC's used use the most powerful pieces I have ever seen. Dinner plate thickness at most, and about the size of a teaspoon bowl. ... felix

I have some round disc magnets about the size of a dime. They came from a magnetic surgical pad, used to hold surgical instruments from shifting around.

The rubber covering the magnets eventually disintegrates and cracks from repeated steam sterilization cycles. making further sterility processing questionable.

The potent little magnets wind up on refrigerators.

Shiloh

firefly1957
12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
If you place a magnet on the side of driver it will work for you again looks a little odd but works well.

H-Marlin
12-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Probably got it through Edmund Scientific or JC Whitney some years ago. Google it up.

Edmund Scientific has tons of fun stuff.

http://www.scientificsonline.com/