PDA

View Full Version : Does This Swaging Machinery Actually Exist?

Southron Sanders
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I wanted to purchase a press that would allow me to swage LEAD pistol bullets WITH GREASE GROOVES. I wanted a press that would feed the cores automatically to the press and eject the swaged bullet.

After doing a lot of internet research and contacting several companies, I came to the conclusion that NO SUCH COMPANY PRODUCING SUCH MACHINERY EXISTS.

Am I wrong OR is there a company out there that makes the type of swaging press I am looking for at a reasonable price?

THANKS!

Grapeshot
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
To do what you want the bullet die will have to be made in two or three parts that in turn must be inserted into a hardned steel sleeve as the core is swaged into the finished bullet. Presses like the one you are asking about were in use during the Civil War and were Hydraulically operated and modified later to produce .45-70 bullets during the 1970's thru the 1890's.

dragonrider
11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
I think it can be done in a 3 part die. For the home swager I am not sure it would be economical. I have a hydraulic press that I think is capable of doing it , need an idea of how to make the die.

scrapcan
11-22-2010, 01:35 PM
For the die you might look up the herters aligator style die. It think there is a thread that was posted by Floodgate. I have a set that came from him, if we can't come up with pictures I will try to put some up.

I am not sure how you would make it auto feed, but very little cannot be done with ingenuity and motiviation. If you are like me it may just take a few mroe attempts than it does for others!

The other thing you can do is swage lead bulelts and then knurl or groove the the swaged slug.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I remember something about this.
I did a quick search and found a "floodgate" post and photo from 2007
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-11985.html
I thought there was something more recent, but I couldn't find anything.
Jon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/floodgate/P1010006.jpg

scrapcan
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Jon,

That is the one. I have the 38 set from Floodgate. I have not had a chance to get it out and use it.

I personally think the swaged lswc, knurling tool and whatever wax lube remington uses would be a good thing for target loads. But I am not sure it is any faster than casting and lubing.

Red River Rick
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Problem with the alligator style die is the flashing that's left, it's a PITA to clean off. And secondly, the bullets aren't round. I guess if you wanted to do a few hundred for yourself.....................well maybe!

At one time, Bear Mountain Mfg made a real nice automatic swaging press. No, It didn't put any lube grooves into the bullet, but it would cut the wire and feed automatically.

I had two of these presses, I scapped one :violin: and still have one collecting dust in the corner. Great machine, but getting dies for them are expensive. Dave Corbin will make a set of eight, but you better have deep pockets. I make my own dies, so I'm not to concerned.

Here's a few scanned images from the original brochure.

RRR

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/ASP1001.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/ASP1003.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/RedRiverRick/ASP1002.jpg

trevj
11-23-2010, 10:05 AM
There is likely more commercially available out there than it looks like, but you have to find the stuff. Lots of companies that used to supply to manufacturers, just plain old never got around to selling online.

Not what you are looking for, if I read the post correctly. You are looking for something that operates more like a progressive reloading press, yes?

On the stuff that IS available, personally, I'd start by looking at the Thomas Register at a Library, if they still keep a paper copy. Touch base with anyone that you could think of that may use the stuff. Fishing lure companies come to mind. I suspect most of these commercial swaging machines never were a stocked item, rather, they were built to order, with changes as seen fit for whoever ordered them.
Not gonna be cheap! But the guys selling this stuff think it is reasonably priced.

I think you may be better off looking for a automatic casting machine. They show up at not terrible prices (less than a decent used car=not terrible) and can produce a pretty good output.

FWIW.

Cheers
Trev

ANeat
11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I think it could be done as others have mentioned. Ive done it in a half arsed way swaging a bullet, then rolling on a grease groove (think cannelure) then pushing thru a lube sizer.

The bad part was those bullets were no more accurate than my cast bullets.

RRR thats a cool setup, you got all the good stuff ;)

Trifocals
11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Why worry about grease grooves? Swage a lead/alloy bullet and use a lube ie: LLA, Rooster Jacket, JPW or 45-45-10. That is all the lube you should need for handgun boolits unless you are trying for velocities over approximately 1600fps. If perchance you feel surface coating the boolits does not provide a sufficient amount of lube, try knurling them before coating. They will then hold more lube. LOL

Southron Sanders
11-24-2010, 12:07 PM
I have come to the belated conclusion that I am going to have to build my own machine, loosely basing it on the one installed at Frankfort Arsenal in the 1850's.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES!

scrapcan
11-24-2010, 04:58 PM
When you do the build will you document it? I have read about those machines, but it would be great to watch your build.

Ian Robertson
11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
A friend had some that were swaged and then grooves turned cnc. Shoot very well at 1000yds. Small cnc lathes are cheap these days.