PDA

View Full Version : Pennies for Boolits

GunnyJohn
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
This may seem like a stupid Question, but my Drill Instructors always said "the only stupid question is the one not asked" so here it is. Has anyone ever melted pennies to cast copper boolits? I don't know much about metal composition, or the alloy's used in pennies, I just have this huge jar of them and thought.....hmmmm

rattletrap1970
11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Pennies are mostly zinc. The copper is merely a plating. Can you cast zinc into bullets? Technically? Yes. Would you want to? Well... I'd imagine that is up for discussion.

starbits
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Besides it is against the law to melt down US coins for their metal content. A nickel is currently worth 6 or 7 cents based on metal content. The law is supposed to keep people from taking advantage of the difference.

Starbits

armed_partisan
11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Just so you know, in case you don't, any amount of Zinc in your Lead will RUIN IT. You get drop a Penny in your lead pot, consider that whole pot as scrap.

You probably could cast super hard bullets with Zinc, but you'd need a special mold without any lube grooves or sharp edges, because Zinc won't fill out the mold properly, due to it's much higher surface tension.

fredj338
11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Since copper melts @ about 2000deg, tough to get them into a casting state.

Shiloh
11-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Since copper melts @ about 2000deg, tough to get them into a casting state.

Don't forget to flux.

You will need a ceramic refractory crucible to melt it in. Get a mold you don't mind
ruining. You get one shot and then it will probably warp.

Shiloh

lwknight
11-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Copper pennies are hard to find in any quantity and are worth about 2 to 2.5 cents as copper scrap.
It would be cheaper to scavage bits of copper wire and plumbing to melt than the fines for melting pennies.

Hardcast416taylor
11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
My mind has a fog bank going on right now so I can`t recall when the last all copper pennies were made, sometime in the early `60`s?Robert[smilie=b:

NoZombies
11-23-2010, 01:39 PM

hickstick_10
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
unless you investment cast copper slugs I doubt you would get anything usable.

You would eather ruin an aluminum mould or the copper would fuse to a cast iron mould like in brazing I'd wager.

runfiverun
11-23-2010, 05:48 PM
zinc and copper are soluble in lead alloys.
zinc up to 1.6% or so but copper is more in the .5% range after that it starts to freeze the stream before it goes into the mold and fills it properly. [at regular casting temps]
tin does help hold copper into solution,and helps it alloy into the mix.

you are not gonna ruin a pot of alloy with a zinc mix penny.

Daddyfixit
11-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Trade the jar full of pennies in the swapping & selling section for some alloy!!
Should get you enough to keep ya castin' :bigsmyl2:

This may seem like a stupid Question, but my Drill Instructors always said "the only stupid question is the one not asked" so here it is. Has anyone ever melted pennies to cast copper boolits? I don't know much about metal composition, or the alloy's used in pennies, I just have this huge jar of them and thought.....hmmmm

badbob454
11-25-2010, 02:42 AM
zinc and copper are soluble in lead alloys.
zinc up to 1.6% or so but copper is more in the .5% range after that it starts to freeze the stream before it goes into the mold and fills it properly. [at regular casting temps]
tin does help hold copper into solution,and helps it alloy into the mix.

You are not.. gonna ruin a pot of alloy with a zinc mix penny.

I agree runfiverun... i threw a penny in the pot once it melted did not hurt the casting ability and the copper coating just added a slight gold color .. this was in a 20 lb pot of wheel weights but as was said if too much zinc and you have a h3ll of a time removing it ( if at all possible at home ) so i dont reccomend :castmine:

badbob454
11-25-2010, 02:47 AM
buy some beer and trade it at the tire shops for some wheel weights . but seperate the zinc, steel, stick on lead, and clip on lead .. clip on water quenched bullets for modern guns stick on lead for muzzel loads and shotguns and ball ammo

Bill*
11-25-2010, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=armed_partisan;1064513]Just so you know, in case you don't, any amount of Zinc in your Lead will RUIN IT. You get drop a Penny in your lead pot, consider that whole pot as scrap.QUOTE]

I'll take all that "ruined" alloy you got, and pay the shipping!

lylejb
11-25-2010, 06:30 PM
My mind has a fog bank going on right now so I can`t recall when the last all copper pennies were made, sometime in the early `60`s?Robert[smilie=b:

Nozombies was close, but it was 1982.

Actually, there were 5 different types of pennies made for circulation in 1982, due to the change over to zinc. early ones were copper, late ones were zinc.

Spector
11-26-2010, 01:02 AM
That's why I only save pennies dated 1962 through 1981. I think they are made of the same alloy used to make Sierra bullet jackets. Guilding metal alloy.

I don't think pennies fall under tha same rules as larger denomination US coins since they can be flattened into ovals and embossed with varying designs in the machines at Bass Pro Shops. I save those years because they should make good alloy for gas checks too.

I have only managed to collect one large peanut butter jar full so far though...........Mike

HangFireW8
11-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Besides it is against the law to melt down US coins for their metal content. A nickel is currently worth 6 or 7 cents based on metal content. The law is supposed to keep people from taking advantage of the difference.

Starbits

Sorry Starbits,

This is an Urban Myth, in the USA anyway, it is only illegal to deface money for the purposes of Fraud, for example gluing "5" on the corners of a One dollar bill.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/77334.html