PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning impurities out of lead

leadhead115
11-22-2010, 02:19 AM
To all,

I work at a utility company that uses PILC cable for undergroung transmission and distribution circuits. PILC is an abbreviation for Paper Insulated Lead Covered cable in which we build lead joints using lead "sleeves" up to 7" in diameter and about 30" long. The lead we use to sweat and to seal these joints are a lead/tin mixture with a ratio of 40/60. I am not sure what the composition of the sleeves are but it is soft lead. (I can scratch it with my fingernail) We also use a product that reminds me of a candlestick that the industry calls STYRENE (spelling?) that acts as a flux to clean the lead sleeve when we seal the ends. I have heard, in my limited experience with casting, to burn a chunk of beeswax in your melting pot to "burn off" the impurities you may miss when drossing. I guess I have multiple questions here but, is anybody familiar with cleaning thier lead with this product? Are the 40/60 lead bars good for casting? How can I determine if the lead sleeves (which I assume is pretty close to pure lead) are good for casting and for what applications?

imashooter2
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Consider it determined. The lead sleeves and solder are both good for casting. For applications, Elmer Keith used simple lead/tin alloys in his revolvers, and word on the street is he pushed them pretty hard. You should be able to do the same for any handgun loads. You should be good for black powder cartridge or muzzle loader as well. I like things a little harder for smokeless rifle, but for reduced load plinkers, you should be OK there too.

Never heard of the STYRENE, but there are many, many things that work well for flux. No problem with using commercial preparations, but no requirement to either.

Calamity Jake
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
What ever you use for flux, the pot needs to be stured while fluxing, just lettin the flux mateial set on top will not clean it, you also need to scrape the sides and bottom of the pot while fluxing.

leadhead115
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
thanks for all the input.

bbailey7821
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
You should check out the sawdust flux method as well. I've recently converted and it really works well!

runfiverun
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
that styrine should be a nice binder for making lube though.
stearic acid is a good lube and binder.