PDA

View Full Version : 285X135 FP 6 banger GB Molds

TCLouis
11-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Starting to run out of boolits for the 7mm Mag and figured I would go to FP design.

Oh boy I have two molds marked 285X135 GC FP.

Wasn't there one of these where Lee goofed something and reissued molds?

Any way to tell them apart??

I am going to FP becuse I was trying to cut a tree down on my range and the 122 grain GB RN boolit did not do the job, I am hoping that the meplat will do it right, besides I plan to see it it will stop a deer.
All of that and I still have one additional tree to cut down also.

Any bets as to whether the FP boolit will be stopped by a comparable tree when the RN boolit whizzed right on through.

frkelly74
11-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I have a custom 6.5 lee 140 gr mold with a flat point that will not feed in my Swede or my 6.5 Roberts Arisaka. The nose hangs up. Have not tried any logging with it.

Bass Ackward
11-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Any bets as to whether the FP boolit will be stopped by a comparable tree when the RN boolit whizzed right on through.

Regardless of the launching system, when you exceed the metals ability to maintain shape, it rounds off. Wood does this with harder specimens farther down the velocity scale than most might expect.

Since you are penetrating the tree with evidently some to spare, I say that you can shoot anything you want at it and it will come out round and probably lighter if weight, hardness and strike velocities are comparable. Mine do anyway.

x101airborne
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Well, when youre mad at termites, only a 7 mag will do. LOL. Kinda a matter of small consequence. I would stay with the boolit that does NOT go through a tree. I would think that would cause more tissue destruction and be a better terminal boolit. You did not say what size the tree was in diamater, but I like a boolit that just barely exits a double shoulder shot on a broadside small (100 lb) hog. Lots of energy dump, tissue destruction, and bone breaking.

TCLouis
11-23-2010, 08:00 PM
OK, Uncle, I am sorry I mentioned a tree at all, what was the deal with the 285X135 molds, was there a reissue for some reason, or did I just end up buying two molds. I did that with the RD 265 mold so I have a new one just sitting there rusting (though very slowly at aluminum rusting rate)

This is yet another reason why there should be a sticky with boolit Honcho, caliber and weight with a picture. maybe successful loads and cartridges for the boolit.