PDA

View Full Version : Well, its a stated fact by me!

lefty_red
10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't like shooting big, think, DA autos! I've tried about every brand and caliber and I don't think I can find one that "feels" right. Plus, they hate ALOXed covered boolits!

I had to finish my IDPA shoot today with my S&W 681 I was so pissed at my GLOCKs.

Look at the SWAPPIN board for G35 and G19 crap!

If the chief won't let me carry a weapon I feel right about, then I'll turn in my paperwork. I'm "just" an AUX LEO, so I have a job, but I just like going things for my home town. But, I'm going to ask to carry my GP100 with 38 +p's.

Looks like I'm sticking with 45s in 1911s and my wheelguns. I WANT STEEL AND WOOD![smilie=b:

Jerry, still looking for the "stuff" in the back of the GLOCK's slide!

9.3X62AL
10-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Lefty--

Rather than clock out from something I'm sure you enjoy doing.....maybe we could get you comfy with Gaston's Dishwasher-Safe Gaspipe. NO, they aren't real lead-friendly, but a lot of members here get them running well with factory barrels--and there are a number of aftermarket tubes available that cater to reloaders.

I don't care much for the Glock aesthetics, either--but the plastic contraptions WORK, and do so very reliably with factory ammo. The Glock is one of only two self-loading pistols that can come out of the box--get some lube on the rails--and be relied upon to save your life without break-in, if that is necessary.

If grip slippage is an issue for you, try a 1"-1.5" band cut from a bicycle inner tube about midway up the pistol grip. Also, grip that critter UP HIGH--get that recoil hump right against the web of your thumb and forefinger. That done, the pistol tends to recoil straight back, instead of twisting weirdly. This also allows you to get both trigger finger centered well and middle/ring fingers around the grip more securely.

lefty_red
10-10-2006, 03:14 AM
I'm still keeping my G22 for my duty weapon, but the "range queen" G35 is got to go.

Also, we talked in PMs about the "fully supported chambers" the 3rd gens "have". They do enclose the case completely now, as before they allowed some of the case it stick out. But the "cutaway" by the feed ramp it still there! It makes a nice "bulge" in the brass. And you now have that weak spot like before, but not as big or noticable.

With factory ammo, there isn't a better pistol than the GLOCK! IT goes bang everytime! But I can get my Hi-Point to feed the reloads better. Mine need the cases so short, its producing bulging primers on 40S&W loads that are only going 800 fps!

Anyways, I got checked up at the ER and the meds are wearing off. I got a cut on my check and a new respect for my safety glasses!

My armorer got to look at my G35. It seems the case cover cracked and caused firing pin assembly and extractor safety rod to come flying out at me during my shoot. But he did notice ALOT of wear on the rails and the slide stop is chipped. He said I might have been hit in the face with the slide with a "hot" load! Now that really pissed me off due the fact I keep my loads low pressure and slow! Good thing I didn't hotrod them. Now this gun was purchaced second handed, but the guy didn't put a hundred rounds thru it before trading it in. I was there when he brought it out and shot the first match with it. Oh well.

BTW, I do have aftermarket barrels on both of my "range" GLOCKs, but my G22 is stock. And I do agree with you about the pistols abilities out of the box and with factory ammo. The damn things are reilable to the fault of being boring!

They fit my hand, better than I thought they would. But I'm just ticked at a weapon with its rep for breaking down on me with under 5000 rounds and with very light loads. If I can't cast and reload for it, I can't afford to feed it! And if I can't feed it a couple hundred rounds a week, then its a safe queen and my safe is small.

Jerry

Char-Gar
10-10-2006, 08:31 AM
I keep 1911s tucked around the house, but there is no flys on the SIG P220 in 45 ACP. Very shootable, light, reliable and highly accurate.

45nut
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I have 1911's,a SIG P220 and a new Springfield XD in 45acp here and my favorite remains a 1911.
For me the buy of a glock is long past history,I bought a G 19 in 1985 or so and promptly sold it off when I happened along a CZ 75 clone. The TA 90 ate ammo the G19 stuttered and choked on.
The SIG was my first "BIG DA AUTO",a fine gun with no ill manners towards CB's.
My XD is also CB friendly and I really like the near double capacity over the single stack 1911's.
Here is my old Randall Service model (commander size) and my model of 1989 625 and my XD below.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0365.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/WebXD45.jpg

Swagerman
10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Sorry, don't know much about Glocks, except the Leo community seems to like them.

Frankly, I wouldn't have one. Guess I'm a died in the wool revolver man. :mrgreen:

45nut, your commander size Randall intregues me.

Here is its big brother the 1911 model. It has one magazine marked Randall, and has two other older Colt type magazines in a WW-1 pouch.

These Randall pistols are reputed to be the first 1911's made in S.S. Thus, highly collectable.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8260019save700X.jpg

45nut
10-10-2006, 12:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/webrandall45.jpg
There is my Randall as I recieved it,no box,no papers,two randall made magazines were included though. Mine is the "Service Model C" as marked on the slide. I'd say Randall was well ahead of the curve in "custom-production" 1911's.
Here is my SIG...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/websig220_lg.jpg

Swagerman
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Now that Sig .45 acp is the berrys, too.

Don't know why the Leos don't ape out on that beauty...instead of the Glocks.

But I must regain my composure, hurrrump! :Fire: Auto pistols indeed. Give me a an old fashion revolver anytime.

Sorry, brain locked, cannot be converted. :mrgreen:

Jim

9.3X62AL
10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
SIG-Sauer is the other make of service pistol that is good-to-go right from the box, after a little lube on the slide rails. I suspect a P-220 x 45 ACP will be my next bottom-feeder purchase.

Like Lefty, I have avoided Gaston's Tupperware due to the problems reported with reloads. I just coughed up a little over $500 for a new CZ-75 in 40 S&W, which the Governator will bless on Friday for pickup. I looked at a SIG-P-226 in 40 caliber, but the CZ's twist rate would be friendlier to castings--and it is all-steel, where the SIG has an aluminum receiver. The $350 price difference was the deal-breaker on the SIG-Sauer--too many negatives platform-wise, then add the price jump--not gonna happen.

georgeld
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I have a question of you fellows shooting these "other brands" of 1911 style's than the old Army models.

I have never owned one, but, I've shot a few and never could handle the knuckle busting Colts in the service so I just shy away from them completely.

What I'd like to know about is: anyone with really big hands like mine. Does your middle fingers knuckle clear the trigger guard when shooting them?

In addition to big paws, an accident cut the tendon under the middle knuckle and the sorry damned medic that sewed it back together never checked it even when I told him to. By the time it had healed enough to tell, the tendon had shrunk too much to put it back together. Since then I've had a Bird Finger. Can't close the last joint at all. Damned finger sticks out all the time, when reaching for something it's always getting jammed into things and it draws a lot of strange looks. Have had a lot of people ask why I was flipping them off when I hadn't. The one's that mention it seem to understand once I show them the fingers damaged and won't close at all, but, there's quite a few others that just get p'd.

Due to this, I can't squeeze the grips with this finger so it's not a grip anyone would want to be using on big bore handgun's of anykind. This causes the knuckle to get whacked hard by most anything with recoil.

Wish I knew the solution of what type grips to get as I do enjoy shooting the big one's a lot. Have several blackhawks and they do the same thing. Have wondered if someone makes a grip similar to Smiths' Trooper style that will fit the blackhawks. Does anyone know who might have them and IF they'll cure this problem for me??

Plain oversized custom grips won't do it either. Have a pair for the .30 carbine my brother in law made some yrs ago. Changed it to the .45 Colt and still whacks hell out of that knuckle with decent loads. We're out of the family arrangement now, so can't get him to make what I need. Believe some type that fills in behind the trigger guard is what's needed. But, I haven't found any that will fit the blackhawks.

Appreciate the replies,

Uncle Grinch
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
45Nut...

Those hollowpoints in your Sig sure do look devastating. Do they feed reliably?

45nut
10-11-2006, 12:21 AM
That SIG feeds empty cases like they are buttered...those HP's are no issue.