PDA

View Full Version : 22 CB Long Marlin??

Uncle Grinch
11-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Is it feasible to modify a Marlin Mod 60 semi for 22 CB Long cartridges?

Mine will feed them manually, but there is not enough recoil to make it work semi mode.

I would assume all it takes is a lighter recoil spring, but then again... I'm not a gunsmith.

dbldblu
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I use them in my M60, it makes it a straight pull bolt action! What is wrong with that?

Wolfe springs might make you a lighter spring.

As an aside, I have an old Winchester model 74 in 22 short. I cycles just fine with the CCI short CB's. Now that is some fun.

Firebricker
11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm no gunsmith either but it seem's feasible if it will feed from the magazine manually. Maybe get an extra spring and try cutting a coil at a time. FB

Mk42gunner
11-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Since the Marlin Model 60 is a blowback action, there are two things working in concert to keep the bolt closed: weight of the bolt itself (inertia) and the strength of the recoil spring. While you may get it to cycle with a lighter weight or shorter recoil spring, you might also need a lightened bolt. Then you would have problems if anyone ever fired a .22 Long rifle cartrige in the gun.

If you try cutting coils off the spring; I would have another handy, in case it didn't work.

Myself I would use it like dbldblu does, as a straight pull manual repeater.

Robert

Uncle Grinch
11-21-2010, 11:39 PM
I use them in my M60, it makes it a straight pull bolt action! What is wrong with that?

Wolfe springs might make you a lighter spring.

As an aside, I have an old Winchester model 74 in 22 short. I cycles just fine with the CCI short CB's. Now that is some fun.

Nothing wrong with using it as a straight pull; it just got me to thinking....and that can be dangerous at times!

armed_partisan
11-22-2010, 12:58 AM
NO. It will NOT cycle semi automatically, because the Hammer hits the firing pin and blocks the action. If you reduce the power of the hammer spring, you'll make the gun not fire. DO NOT CUT OFF ANY COILS on your recoil spring. You will be out a recoil spring, and time. It will not cycle with CBs no matter what. Be glad it works as a straight pull!

Bloodman14
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
armed partisan, +1. Tried that years ago; doesn't work, period.

KCSO
12-08-2010, 10:28 PM
There are two factors to a blowback rifle, the recoil spring and the WEIGHT of the breech block. That's why in say a Kimber 1911 conversion the slide/breech block is aluminum. In the Model 60 you will need not only to reduce the recoil spring but to lighten the breech block. The 22 short Remington 550 series solved this problem by using the recoiling chamber effectivly adding more recoiling mass to the ctg. Add to this the problems of dissassembly of the rifle for change over and you might just want to stick with a semi/bolt gun.

DrNick
12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I use a Henry lever action....holds over 20 CBs and its a riot!