PDA

View Full Version : Glock 35 Trying to Make Major PF

ZakAttackMan
11-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I just bought a glock 35 several weeks ago and am looking to shooting USPSA Limited. In order to keep cost down I want to learn how to cast my own bullets.

I want to make MAJOR PF out of my glock 35, so a 200 gr mold would allow me a lower velocity and lower recoil and a less chance of leading????

As far as aftermarket barrels Storm Lake seems to be the favorite among boolet casters????

Any input for molds, load data, and barrels would be greatly appreciated.

That'll Do
11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I personally don't like to use bullets over 180gr in 40 S&W. That said, there are plenty of molds out there, from Lee, to Lyman, to RCBS, etc. I don't cast for my 40 S&W (yet), but I'd probably try either the Lee 175gr Truncated Cone or the RCBS 180gr FN.

As far as load data, you have to find a load that works for you and your gun. You need to meet the power factor, but not exceed it more than necessary. Powders I use in 40 S&W are HS-6, Power Pistol, True Blue, Unique and Universal. There is no magic accuracy load, just gotta work up your own.

Search this site thoroughly, there's lots of info out there.

sargenv
11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
The Lee 175 TC tends to come out to 180 ish gr for me with WW's. There are sometimes group buys put together that allow a heavier 40 cal bullet, in fact one is at final last call for that right now.. it is a 200 gr Truncated cone. The problem with the Glock is that you can't load them long and have to keep them to SAAMI Max OAL of 1.135"-1.140". With a 200 grain bullet, that doesn't allow a lot of leeway case capacity wise and you may be better off with a 175 ish gr bullet. Storm Lake seems to be the barrel of choice for lead bullets though, so you are in the ball park in that case.

casterofboolits
11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
I have two of the Lyman four cavity 401638 moulds which drop 174/175 with my alloy. Straight wheelweights will probably drop closer to 180. The 401638 has worked well in every pistol itss been tried in and is easy to make major with.

The only 200 grain I know of is the Saeco #47 40-200-TCBB and I consider it only a 10mm boolit due to its length of .700". The 40 case is .850" OAL.

CiDirkona
11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
183 gr TC at 6.2gr PowerPistol. Gets tighter grouping towards 6.0, but feels best to the shooter (helping load for a buddy of mine) seems to like going up to 6.5gr, and recoil feels nearly identical to factory rounds at 6.5. 6.8-6.9 is book max. Can't remember the OAL, but I can look it up when I get home. Haven't chorno'd it either, but definitely happy with the performance and pricepoint of powerpistol.

HammerMTB
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm making major PF in my Glock with the 175TC Lee and have used several differnt powders, to include Unique, AA#5, and 700X
I look for 980FPS from the load, so it makes major with a bit to spare.
I use the Glock bbl or if shooting open class, a Storm Lake with a comp. Either works well.

CiDirkona
11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Hammer, do you have two different slides you use to do that?

I built open glocks in 17 that work great for uspsa open minor, uspsa ltd minor and steel challenge open, but making major with lead 9s is an elusive ghost I'll probably never catch. I'd like to try this same thing in 40 next, but do it without buying two complete guns and swapping parts, just a spare upper... So far, my 40 loads all go through a buddy's gun and not my own... (thus, he's pulling the lever...)

HammerMTB
11-22-2010, 09:54 PM
No, it's all done with the stock slide.
I do recognize I could take greater advantage if I used a ported slide and bbl, but I'm just using a 2-port comp at bbl end. I don't have much trouble with controlling recoil, so a little bit of help is enough for me.
'Sides, I never expected to do to Nats and see my name on top of the board, anyways....
I'm just an old geezer that likes to stay in practice :bigsmyl2:

PS I think major 9's a problem I wouldn't like to solve. 9X21 or 9X25 is the solution, but most want to make their current gun do the job. I say get the tool you need for the job....

sargenv
11-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Actually, Major 9 is not so hard to accomplish anymore due to having a greater choice of slow burning powder available.. back inthe day it was Blue Dot, SR 4756.. and HS6 or HS 7.. now there are at least 2-3 times that choice of powders available.. though most people I know either run HS6 or one of the Vitt powders..

Groo
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Groo here
Slids are not a problem any more as Lone Wolf has all the parts to make a Glock
with out Glock parts -=-- Even bring out there own frame!!!!!!!!!!