PDA

View Full Version : My next single shot, I hope!

longhorn
11-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Just realized Browning has brought back the "B-78." Except it's actually the Browning 1885 action with 24" barrel and monte carlo stock. Yeah, I know, not to everyone's taste, but the mc stock design fits my long skinny neck, narrow shoulders, and long arms real well on most rifles. I need (hah!) a .223 to shoot up all this old ammo I have squirreled away; figured I'd slap a Leupold 6x24 I already own on it (website says it comes with base and rings) and have sort of a modern recreation of all those varmint blasters that were made from High Walls in the '40's and '50's. A reincarnation made from a reincarnation--now what will I have to sell......

Doc Highwall
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
How much are they going for? My brother has a brand new one in 22-250 that he bought in the 70's that he has never fired.

longhorn
11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
I sort of conveniently forgot to memorize the list price, but I think it's nearly $1400. No idea how that will actually translate into a gun shop tag.

blackpowder man
11-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Bud's had some a couple weeks ago, but I think they winchesters. I know both are made by Miroku, but I think they were under winchester.

longhorn
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Bud's shows "out of stock" on the Browning B-78's. The Winchester .223 single shots are Low Walls. I'm sure a fine rifle, but not the look or the stock I want.

rockrat
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
There was a guy on Accurate Reloading forums that had a 25-06 B-78 for sale for $550, last week IIRC

blackpowder man
11-23-2010, 11:10 PM
davidsons had some b 78s in .22-250

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I really like the looks of the High or Low Wall rifles. Pure class!

However, I personally favor the "hammerless" design for hunting and have gone with the RUGER #1 for that reason.

They too are classy rifles, expecially if you take one of those #1s with the Alexander Henry forends and install a nice piece of contrasting walnut or a hunk of ebony in place of the not so nice forend grove.

Suddenly you have REALLY pure class only to out done if you can afford to have those side panels engraved by a good artist.

For varmit or target, the hammered guns would be, oh so much fun!!!!!!!!!, but for hunting, make mine hammerless.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

nanuk
12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Ol' Coot. I agree with your assessment

my 1B seems to have a completely different wood on the forearm.

the wood is proud so I think one day it will get refinished as the butt is nice.

And I think Cocobolo would perhaps fit nice on the forend.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Nanuk,

I recently found out that a long time friend is back into restocking some #1s.

He is doing a first class job.

Years back, he put me on to a fellow by the name of Ernie Paulson, as I recall, from Montana that had a stock of very fine wood. Good fellow to deal with.

Not sure who is supplying the wood for the friends present projects, but would be glad to ask if your interested.

I used to use Fajin (SP??), the origional company, not Midway, for inletting and they were very good. Not sure who is available to do that class of work now days. Again could ask.

Probably the best way to go is buying a two piece blank set from a GOOD dealer. That way the forend and butt will match as per grain and color.

Make sure the seller is of good reputation.

Another friend bought a two piece set at a gun show. Looked great, but the layout and follow through was bad. Enough fault here to go around to a lot of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First the seller was a shister or didn't know his wood, probably both. Don should have known better!! The person who did the inlet should have told Don the wood wouldn't work because of the grain pattern!!

Then Don brought the wood to me after he inletted, and wanted it glassed. I should have looked at the stock and told Don he had problems, won't make that mistake again!!!!!!!!

But I went ahead and glassed the butt stock and the stock snapped off in the grip area because the grain ran across the grip rather then the length of the grip.

BAD LAYOUT AND FOLLOW THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!

That cost me a bunch of hours and about $250 out of pocket :groner:

Anyway, buy from a seller with a good reputation, not just from a person who has a pile of pretty wood. The extra cost will be worth it!!!!!!!!!!

Then don't forget that ebony on the forend!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bigted
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM
longhorn...im withcrusty here on the ruger. i stupidly allowed a #3 ruger in .223 to slip away from me years ago. this was a real sweet gun and the tiny groups i got at 100 pareleled nothing id had up to that point. i got sideswiped with the 45/70 bug back then and have yet to recover to the point that ive got 4 in my coral now including a winchester hiwall w/28 inch barrel and the curved butt...what a sweet gun and it will be with me for some time now.

the ruger however will fit and do what you want i believe. the # 1 is superb in its own rite and gives itself to comfort rite outta the box. i do know the bug tho about the hiwalls and even the lowwalls.

longhorn
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Folks are missing the point; I want a varminter reminiscent of the 2R Lovells and the like from the postwar (WWII) years. At last count, I've owned a dozen Ruger #1's. Fine rifles, but they look like a Farquarson (sp?), not like a highwall; none in my safe now. My own #3 in .223 wasn't much of a shooter--went down the road years ago. And No. 1's just don't fit me right--I spent a lot of dollars figuring that out; besides, that big scope seems to want a Browning under it.....

bigted
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
guess i did miss some of your origanal post...srry bout the mouthin off about the #1's. i also know the zest for the hiwall and it has cost me some but there it sets and i think ill keep it even tho it is a lowly winchester...lol...only thing about it is that it screams for another so it wont get lonely there beside the long and heavy sharps. maybe a bpcr winchester is next????? yes im hung up on the winchester!

good luck landing your B-78. there is one out there with your name on it...just needs to hear your call to come home i bet.

texasmac
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Here's one in 30-'06 for sale on GunBroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207262609