PDA

View Full Version : Will paper-patched boolits cycle thru a Rem-7600 pump

Bigoledude
11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I would like to squeeze at least 2500 fps with a heavy"ish" boolit from my Remington 30-06 pump-action. Thinking of a patched RCBS 30-180 FN. The specs say the bullet drops at .309.

What would typically be the ideal final diameter for the bullet after patching?

Does anyone have experience with the Remington 7600 and it's ability to cycle paper patched bullets smoothly?

Nrut
11-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Cycle a few jacketed bullets thru your 7600 and if the bullets don't get scared up you have a fighting chance running PP..
You should do a search thru pdawg_shooter posts as he has a lot of experience shooting PP over years..
Good luck

CJR
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
My "meat gun" is a 300 Savage Rem 760 and I'll be developing hi-vel PPCB for it soon. I'm currently working with a 308 Win bolt-gun now. I'm at about 2700 to 2800 fps with a PP Lyman 311291 (175 gr.) which is a bore-rider. If you use a none bore-riding bullet , like a LBT LFN, you should have no problems using a 0.309"D PPCB. A bore-riding bullet, like a Lyman 311291, requires a little effort as they can de-bullet when extracting the loaded round from a tight throat. For starters, file the base of a jacketed flat base bullet (use electric drill) to get a sharp corner at the base. Load this round nose first into an empty case so that it has a long O.A. L. Then try to chamber this round. At first, it won't go. Keep adjusting the OAL until it chambers. This will show you where the cylindrical part of the bullet (start of ogive) is hitting the end of the throat or rifling. This will give you a visual of where the start of the ogive should be on your PPCB. If you use, say a 150 gr. LBT bullet, all you need to do is back down the OAL so that the bullet is slightly behind the rifling. That way you can load and unload this bullet without de-bulleting. The PP is pretty tough when applied properly. If you use a bore-rider, you may need to hard crimp the round in the case.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know.

Best regards,

CJR

pdawg_shooter
11-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Short answer is yes. If it will feed cast it will feed paper. If the paper get ripped, try patching to where the patch is inside the neck, or polish the feed ramp to get rid of burs.