PDA

View Full Version : Lyman handle?

LIMPINGJ
11-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I just got a single cavity Lyman 321298 which uses the small handles. I would really like to use this mold now but do not have a set of small Lyman handles. Has anyone made a set from something common around the tool section or modified another set of handles they could tell me about? Or do I just have to start looking in the for sale section for a set of small Lyman handles. Thanks for any suggestions.

old turtle
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Send a PM to Dschuttig. I recently bought 2 from him and he still had 3 he wanted to sell. These were for the old style small Lyman Molds. You can also search his posts as he updated his ones left over. I know the problem as I picked up some nice older molds recently at a gun show.

justingrosche
11-21-2010, 12:46 PM
If you cant find any send me a PM, I'm sure I have an extra set.
Justin

GLL
11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
An inexpensive LEE set will work just fine !

Jerry

mooman76
11-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, the Lee 6 cavity fit just fine and are made very good. I took the handles off a 2c Lee mould once for an RCBS mould. It works with some shims. Wasn't the best, but it got me by until I could get something better.

11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Lee six-cavity handles are an exact fit for Lyman one and two-cavity moulds, and I've modifyed them to fit Lyman four-cavity and RCBS moulds. They may be the most versitile casting tool ever made.

LIMPINGJ
11-21-2010, 04:51 PM
After posting this ? I remembered I have a Thompson Center RB mold with handles, took the handles off and they were an exact fit for the Lyman mold.

justingrosche
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Lee handles will fit, but you have to be careful in using them. They'll wobble out the alignment pin holes if your not careful.

cajun shooter
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
How can a Lee handle come out of a mold? That is impossible as the screws that hold them to the mold go through a hole drilled in the steel of the handle and then into the mold again!! They may also be filed down to fit RCBS and other brand molds. You will want to J-B Weld the wooden handles onto the metal of the handles as this is a weak point in the design.

HORNET
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I've got a couple of OLD Lee single cavity molds where the handles are held on by screws, not the later staked-in pins. The pins can be removed on the newer ones, but it's not something that you want to do on a regular basis.

blackthorn
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
QUOTE: "Lee handles will fit, but you have to be careful in using them. They'll wobble out the alignment pin holes if your not careful."

I took this to mean that because the Lee handles are a somewhat loose fit on Lyman mould blocks that (unless you are careful) the impercise fit will damage the alingment area of the mould face.

justingrosche
11-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Actually thats not what I meant. The slots usually fit. It's a matter of geometry.
The long 6 cav handle blades move the block attachment points farther from the axis. So if the blade is bent, the slot is over sized, or the handles are loose enough to allow them flex, the pin may not align with the hole properly.
Think of it as having your front off just a bit, at 15 yards, not a huge movement on target. At 100 yards it becomes much more apparent.
Many guys use them with what I assume is no problem, but I can show you a couple of molds that I bought used that have damage caused by using Lee handles.