PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried 10B101?

Tatume
11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
10B101
Powder made by VihtaVuori, used in the .50BMG short range training cartridge with the plastic bullet. Can be loaded using Herco data. This is a very thin, square flake type powder that is not recommended for progressive machines, as it tends to bridge very easily. Best to load on a single stage press, dropping charges slowly. Excellent for use in magnum type handgun ammo.
This is pulldown flake powder.
$25/6# jug.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

madsenshooter
11-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Flake p0wders can be surprising. Blue Dot gives me my most accurate loads. This stuff wouldn't be too far off in burn rate, might be worth the price.

BBA
11-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I just ordered some to try out.

Dannix
11-25-2010, 02:49 AM
This caught my eye too. I'll be interested in how you like it.

curiousgeorge
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I have tried this powder. Used Herco data in .44 magnum. Loads worked fine and powder seemed to work very well in a 250 gr lswc at approx 950 - 1000 fps load. I had some unburned flakes in the barrel, but it was not a problem.

The problem was trying to meter the powder. The best I could do no matter how I tried working the measure was approx 1/2 grain, either heavy or light, in consistency. I ran two sets of loads, weighed and dropped from the measure. Surprisingly, the accuracy at 25 yds shooting both off hand and from sand bags was not as much as I had feared. This testing was back in the summer and I honestly cannot remember the exact differences. Seems as if the weighed charges shot right with my 8.0 gr Unique load as far as accuracy, but had just a little more oomph. The metered charges would have 3-4 shots o.k. and then 1 or 2 holes a little out. But, in all honesty, unless I am having a really good day I have that happen more and more as I get older anyway. I just didn't know if it was me or the powder charge and I am not willing to weigh every charge instead of being able to run through the Dillon. And now that I think of it, I did not try the Dillon to see what the differences would be. Another test for another night.

Steve

Dannix
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Steve, what kind of powder measure where you using, and did it have a small cylinder? Just curious.

With the savings in powder, maybe a ChargeMaster 1500 expenditure could somehow be justified... :mrgreen:

curiousgeorge
12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Dannix,

Was using a Uniflow with the small drum. Also tried in an old Hollywood with the results really no better. Some charges right on the money and the next one up to 1/2 grain heavy or light. Been using the Uniflow for over 30 years and can throw most flake powders pretty consistently, but this stuff stumped me. Not a bad powder as far as performance, I just could not meter as consistently as I would have liked. But the grouping between the weighed and metered loads were not wildly different.

A ChargeMaster 1500 - now why didn't I think of that!

Dannix
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Uniflow with the small drum
That's what I have too.

I did the number on the ChargeMaster 1500 expenditure justification. It would pay for itself after 30 pounds worth. That would be an awful lot of slow, individual, one by one, powder charges though. :mrgreen:

Jim
12-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Once upon a time, I had a problem with some kinda' flake powder not wanting to drop. I kept a small stick on the bench and gave the dispenser a light rap on the side. Works for me.

baker1425
12-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm thinking about trying this out and looking at getting a cheap fish tank pump to rubber band to the side of the powder measure. Ideas?

fecmech
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking about trying this out and looking at getting a cheap fish tank pump to rubber band to the side of the powder measure. Ideas?

Another idea is get a small cheap electric motor and put a glob of solder or something on the shaft to unbalance it and use something like a radiator clamp to hold it on the measure to vibrate the powder.

Dannix
12-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Hacking an old cell phone with vibrate capability could do the trick too.

And now that I think of it, I did not try the Dillon to see what the differences would be. Another test for another night.
Did you give that a go Steve? I'd be right curious if attaching a vibrator to it would make any appreciable improvement over your rap/tap routine, if you have something like that handy.

How do the 'big boy' industry ammo companies work with 'hard to meter' powders?

curiousgeorge
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Dannix,

Tonight will be the Dillon test. Supposed to be 12 degrees here so I don't think I will be going anywhere.

I did try the Lyman 55 Saturday. I filled the hopper approx 1/2 full. I tried dropping the knocker with the powder cavity up and then again after I had dumped the powder. Was able to keep the variance down to around 3 tenths of a grain at the most. I was trying for a 12.0 grain charge which is just a good medium Herco load with a 429421. I would get 2 to 3 loads in a row that were right on the charge and then one up to 3 tenths of a grain either heavy or light. In all practicality, an approx 1/2 gr difference in the charge at that velocity probably makes very, very little difference but it just irritates me to no end that I cannot get it to meter better.

If anyone does try this powder with the Lyman 55, note that you should use the knocker after dumping the charge regardless whatever other method you decide to try. At least 1/2 of the charges that I threw had bridged powder that did not drop until after I used the knocker.

I had not thought of using something that creates a vibration, but if it runs constantly would you need to have the same time between each throw so that the powder would not settle more from one charge to the next? Just a question for those of you that have done something like that before.

Dannix - the ChargeMaster 1500 is looking better all the time!

Steve

Rusty W
12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Pardon the mess, but I use a razor that vibrates and uses a AAA cell battery. It works "ok" but shuts off automatically after a few minutes. No biggie, just push the button again.

wiljen
12-07-2010, 09:43 PM
The local adult store has things that will vibrate in all shapes and sizes some of which come with loops to attach to powder measures for some odd reason.

curiousgeorge
12-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Rusty W,

Man, I absolutely LOVE your mess. I would feel right at home at your bench.

Wiljen,

I think that I will stay with the "knock / bump" methods of powder settling. Remember, you are not supposed to be distracted when reloading!

redneckdan
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Just placed and order for 6 containers. 800x is suppose to be a pain to meter, works fine in my Lee measure. I look forward to trying this stuff in it.

felix
12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Big boys use rotating centrifuges with adjustable holes for a dump. No weighing, volume only. This was in the middle 60's. I have no idea what they are using now. Gotta' be similar to keep up with the ammo demand. ... felix

fecmech
12-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks Wiljen, you made my evening!

Dannix
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Rusty W, thanks for the pic -- that really clears up everything.
wiljen, you better be careful that a moderator here...oh wait, never mind.
;)

Thanks for the response felix. Kind of a bummer something like what you described is not available for small shop progressives i.e. Dillons et al. I wonder how much something like this would cost to homebrew ... not that I need another project.

sargenv
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Man, if my bench were that organized.. I might post a picture... but well, imagine what Rusty's bench looks like and um.. think "entire garage" and you might get close to what mine looks like lol :)

On another note, I picked up some of the above mentioned powder and expect it to arrive next week.

rpatt1
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry for resurecting a 2 week old thread - but this interests me also.

Instead of using a powder measure - has anyone tried "dipping" this powder with the Lee dippers to get a consistent load?

Thanks,
Rusty from Orygun (rpatt1)

Russ in WY
12-27-2010, 01:22 AM
When I set up for 20 Tac on my 550 using RL-10X , I had some bridging problems. Took out the powder drop insert [204 Ruger] which looked to be undersized quite a bit. Broke the tip off a new rat tail file [small size] & used a batt powered drill slow speed in reverse , so as not to grab. Got it enlarged to just under the neck dia , then polished it down to chrome like finish with various grit sand paper & finished with Crocus cloth & WD-40 . Bingo problem was solved . Never happened again & I have loaded over 1000 rnds for Pd's here in WY. I had ask Lee for a 20 cal drop tube & there answer was Nadda , don't even make one.. My 2¢ Russ

wgr
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
would this powder work in my 38-55

Dannix
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
With a burn rate between Unique and Blue Dot, you should be able to use it for reduced loads. (Just make sure to avoid double charging!)

Edit: You may be already familiar with the material below, but if not, maybe it will be helpful general info for you.
http://reloadingroom.com/index_files/Universal%2030.htm
http://reloadingroom.com/index_files/Blue%20Dot.htm
http://reloadingroom.com/index_files/Measure%20Pressure.htm
http://reloadingroom.com/index_files/Load%20Workup.htm