PDA

View Full Version : Full length sizing

mag_01
10-08-2006, 08:16 PM
:coffee: ----Can you gain anything by setting the sizing Die 35 or 40 ths. high ----like making the fired case more to the size of the chamber--Just a thought---anyone have any feelings on this subject---Mag----Good day at the range today.

versifier
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Just get a neck sizing die and not worry about it. As long as the reloads are to be fired in the same chamber, the body of the case shouldn't need to be sized - the shoulder may need to be set back occasionally with your fl die, but setting it long won't size your neck very well, will tend to overwork the body(it will size it just like the fl set as designed unless the case is tapered), and won't move the shoulder when it needs it. The technique will work as a stopgap method to get you some shootable ammo, but IMHO you're better off using the fl die as designed until you get a neck sizer - it won't work the brass much more.

garandsrus
10-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Mag_01,

Assuming you have a tapered case... If you resize to just where the round chambers easily you will work your brass less since it will not need to expand as much to fill the chamber each time you shoot it. It will be custom sized to your chamber. This is the concept behind the RCBS Precision Micrometer set. It lets you see where the brass ends up at after shooting it in your chamber and then you can resize down 2 or 3 thousanths, which is measureable withe the RCBS tool.

You can do the same thing without the tool by using your rifle. Start long, size a round, and then keep screwing the die down 1/4 turn at a time or so until the round chambers easily. You might want to use a couple different rounds to do this so that you don't overwork any one case (or throw away the one case).

Keep in mind that the brass you just sized may ONLY work for the rifle you sized it for...

John

mike in co
10-08-2006, 10:58 PM
the answer really depends on the rifle type.....a bolt gun works awsume with just neck sizing; gas guns vary.....i have actually neck sized for ar15's and ar10, its not considered safe in garands, probably the same with m14/m1a's. i only sized about .001 for my m1a/m14...........its all about what WORKS IN YOUR GUN....

dragonrider
10-10-2006, 08:00 AM
For neck sizing I would suggest the Lee Collet dies, they will work the brass much less than standard dies. The two that I have work very well.

454PB
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
As has been stated,as long as the ammo will be fired in the same gun, less than F.L. resizing is fine. In fact, I do it as routine practice. I inherited a Remington model 600 in 6mm from my grandfather years ago, and the brass would head seperate on the second or third reloading. I backed the die off of the shell holder about .025" and the brass would then last a dozen loadings. Obviously the rifle had some excessive headspace, but the majority do. Since that experience, I always adjust the dies to the rifle and lock them in place. I've never lost brass to oversizing since I started this practice.

mag_01
10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Guys good info-Mag

Billwnr
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I second the recommendation for the Lee collet die. That's what I use for my 30/06 and since one doesn't need to lube the brass when using it... makes things go faster.