PDA

View Full Version : First time smelting, and a ww score!

skytex
11-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I've doddled around too long and finally decided I wanted to give it a whirl. I picked up one of the lyman big dipper 10lb furnaces at cabela's last weekend and got around to plugging it in this morning and burning the preservatives out. Then I loaded the little double handfull of WW I'd managed to get in the last stinking month and realized I had no moulds. So, I bribed my mother of all people to make some phone calls for me. The wife gets pissed off quickly calling the small tire shops because few of them speak much english. Well, mother has far more patience, and she owes me big for alot of car work i've done and continue to do to keep her ride running so I call in a favor now and again. Anyways, while I went to wal-mart for some mini-muffin pans, she's calling the few places open on saturday. I get outta walmart and she calls and tells me one place wants $91 for 141lbs of mixed ww. I declined that one, I don't even get outta the parking lot and she says there's another place with a half a bucket for 15 bucks. So, I go over there and he doesn't have a half a bucket. It's a 2.5gal bucket and only 1/4 full. I'm all disapointed and I guess it showed, cause they were slow so he had his 3 helpers start picking up WW around the shop, off the ground, out of the back, etc. In 20 minuts I had a half bucket of WW. He said since it wasn't really half full he'd take $10 for it. Cha Ching!

Anyways, I get home and fire up my little lee-knockoff pot and melt down the first double handful I had from before. Man, those things don't amount to much lead. I got 2 ingots from it. Nice shiney silver lead. Fluxed it with that frankford arsenal stuff I got with my shot dripper and did everything the way i've read and seen here. Weighed the ingots in at right at a half a pound a peice. Yay!

Then I start loading those WW I got today. I really pack that pot as full as I can and heap a little in the middle above the top and turn it back on. 10 maybe 15 minuts later I'm digging out clips with my spoon, flux it, and knotice it turning a golden color on top. Remembering reading here, I cut my heat back. Damn bbq thermometer I had broke btw, peice of garbage. So any recomendations on which one to get to replace it are welcome. Still, after lowering my temp, fluxing again, I got nice lead yet again and filled 5 more of those mini-muffins. So, I got about 3 1/2lbs today and still have the largest part of that bucket left for tomorrow. I did have a brief encounter with the tinsel fairy. When I first stuck my spoon in apparently a piece of dirt or some such got in it and I had a lil pop. I jumped near high enough to hit the ceiling. Still no harm done as it was under all them clips nothing came out.

Now, one thing I've been doing to check for zinc/iron weights is tapping them on the side of my metal cart i'm building to hold my shot maker. I can tell by the tap if it's lead or not, or so I think. The iron ones make a distinct ting ting instead of a tap tap. I haven't encountered any Zinc weights as of yet I think. none have a Zn that i've picked out but all Fe. I wouldn't think they would make the same tap as a lead though with their being harder and lighter. Sadly, out of the weights to make that last 2 1/2lbs I got out 4 or 5 iron weights. Well, I picked em out before puttin em in the pile to melt.

Yes I know I need a propane/turkey cooker setup but I'm using what I have. I'll get the other next month if not sooner.

home in oz
11-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Sounds like youi are off to a good start!

Its addictive.

Beware!

skytex
11-21-2010, 02:16 AM
I hope it is as addicting as loading my own shotgun shells. I ofton find myself wishing I could go shoot so I'd have an excuse to load more shells. Plus this will lower my cost per box significantly. Figure if I get 25lbs out of this bucket, that'll be $10 for a bag as opposed to $35 which is the cheapest i've found it around here. That'll be $2.38 for a box of shotgun shells. So, I save money, I keep occupied, and I have fun. My end product from this leads to a benificial end product, leads to me having more fun.

Tom_et
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
end product from this leads to a benificial end product, leads to me having more fun
Be sure to stay safe and it will remain as you stated
Have fun shoot straight
Tommyt

skytex
11-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Spent all day melting wheel weights and casting lil ingots. No mistakes, no tinsel fairy visits. I did figure out to pile the weights up way over the lip of the pot. That way I went from getting 4-5 ingots to 8-9 at a time. I also started adding weights to the top as well when it started melting down. They had time to dry before getting down to the actual molten stuff. Anways with my score yesterday all melted down, I ended up with 22.5-23 lbs of lead. I need a better scale. I think the original bucket weighted in at about 42lbs but again my scale could be garbage. I think it was closer to 30 by feel.

Before
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/SkyTex/8e9e62c7.jpg

After
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/SkyTex/2fa1c458.jpg

Jeffrey
11-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Be carefull how much you load the pot with wheel weights, especially on a turkey frier. I've read posts by others here that that is a good way to run into trouble inadvertantly melting down zinc wheelweights. If the zinc is under a pile of lead based weights it can reach its melt point before the lead based ones on top melt.
I use a 2 quart stainless steel pot on a coleman stove for smelting and casting. Filling it no more than half way with wheel weights gives me about 3 pounds of ingots. Clips, Fe, and Zn weights float to the surface at the temps I smelt at. Fluxing, removing clips and any missed Fe or Zn weights is much easier with this fill level
Reduce heat when nearing fully melted. "Heat of transition" is heat required to change the state (solid / liquid / gas) of a substance. This can be significant. Ice at 32 degrees F needs six times the heat input to melt into water at 32 degrees as raising that weight of water one degree F. Don't know what it is for lead alloys.
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Correcting myself on lead's heat of transition. Just checked on wikipedia, it is less than 1/10 that of ice/ water. Sorry.
Jeffrey

Dennis Eugene
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd hold off on spending any money on a turkey fryer and pot set up at least until I had a much bigger supply of WW's or alloy. Why spend money on something that you really don't need right now when one can always spend it down the road,or not? Dennis

mold maker
11-26-2010, 02:23 PM
After Thanksgiving and Christmas sales will include left over turkey fryers. They are large boxed items that are seasonal, and will be sold at deep discounts.
Ya might want to put one in the garage for later use while there is a big dollar savings.

fredj338
11-26-2010, 03:24 PM
After Thanksgiving and Christmas sales will include left over turkey fryers. They are large boxed items that are seasonal, and will be sold at deep discounts.
Ya might want to put one in the garage for later use while there is a big dollar savings.

Yeah, how I bought mine a couple years back. Garage sales are good too, people buy them, find out the oil things is a hassle & go back to oven cooking their turkey. Cast iron dutch oven & turkey fryer are the only way to go for large amounts of smelting.[smilie=s:

skytex
11-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Yeah that's when I'm planning to buy one. I've heard a couple of places may sell theirs as cheap as 10 bucks just to get em out of the store. Hell they only cost 20 cents to make in china so even at 10 bucks it's a profit for the store.

I agree my lyman pot is doing fine at 10lbs at a time. I actually want a 20lb now, but like this one, it'll come when I find a good deal.

Now if I can ever motivate myself to set up my shotmaker.... but I need a new thermometer for that.

malpaismike
11-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Hello the camp! Heard of NOSHOK modno 30-310-060-200/100-F/C Bimetal Thermometer on the Open Range wire; info from John Boy. At ~$15, I was interested--paid $30 for one from Brownell's, which was least I had seen. I bought 2--one has been in much use for last 2 yr. I am looking at my backup nib; unfortunately, what I've cited is all info on the box, except "Made in USA". 'Course, I can't remember where I bought them. Search may get it done, or contact John Boy on The Open Range. Hope this helps. mm

malpaismike
11-28-2010, 12:21 AM
OOPS! model no should be 30-310-060-200/1000-F/C. mm