PDA

View Full Version : It woulda been nice

Jack Stanley
10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Real nice in fact if Browning when they made their little run of the model 53 , if they had made a option of a good peep sight for it . Maybe not a tang sight but something along the line of a Lyman 48 on the reciever .
I went out blasting the steel chuck at about eighty yards and got it most of the time but there are easier ways to make a hit ya know ? I'm thankfull my eyes are getting better , that last time I had it out I had to move closer .

Since I've already made the collectors mad by shooting the little carbine . D'ya think it would be blasphemy to find a classic sight and have the carbind drilled and tapped for it ?:mrgreen: I bet somebody would be :twisted: angry with me :coffee:

Jack

woody1
10-08-2006, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=

Since I've already made the collectors mad by shooting the little carbine . D'ya think it would be blasphemy to find a classic sight and have the carbind drilled and tapped for it ?:mrgreen: I bet somebody would be :twisted: angry with me :coffee:

Jack[/QUOTE]

Jack, it's your rifle and yes, there's those who'll grouse about what you do. So what? Did you buy it to shoot? Then make it what you need to shoot for you. Regards, Woody

9.3X62AL
10-09-2006, 12:19 AM
As far as I'm concerned--Browning/Marlin/or whoever makes a lever rifle that DOESN'T drill and tap for a receiver sight hasn't finished building the rifle.

Who gives a rat's aspirations what someone thinks who isn't going to shoot the gun in the first place? Upsetting the collector nazis adds to the enjoyment of making one's own rifle more useful. It's not like you're going to add on red dots, lasers, flashlights, or modify it to belt-feed.

Jon K
10-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Jack,

Is it done yet?

Don't worry about those who will turn their nose up. The collectors will still have their guns in the safe, when they die. So did it do them any good? or give them hours of enjoyment?

I was looking for a 38-55 Lever to shoot Lever Action Silhoutte Rifle Cartridge. I bid on a Marlin I saw online, but got outbid. Then 2 days later this Oliver F Winchester Commemorative 38-55 pops up on Guns America, for $130 more than the Marlin I got outbid on. The OFW- 1980 gun, unfired, all the tags, box wrappings, paperwork, etc. I emailed the dealer that night, and next morning called, and bought and paid for. The FFL I had it shipped to, asked what I was going to do with it, I told him "drill and tap for tang sight and shoot silhouttes with it. Best part is a couple off typical collectors, who frequent the place were there, and like it goes "that was priceless". The first thing I got home the gun got drilled and tapped, Marbles Tang sight installed rear and Lyman 17A installed on the front. Trigger and action work done 2 days later.

I am enjoying shootiing this gun, and the hours of enjoyment-"priceless"

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

Jack Stanley
10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
The deed isn't done as of yet , I haven't found a sight for it anyway . I did indeed buy it to shoot , fortunately the Browning came along shortly after the 1894CL debacle .
At the time I was shooting a lot of these little H&G 32-20 slugs out of my .308 and thought the levergun would be a better idea . I haven't been sorry for getting it at all , it doesn't get out much . But when we do go , I always enjoy the rifle a great deal .

Deputy Al , Now that you mention it , they shoulda drilled and tapped it for me . I oughta call 'em and see if they'll make it right !!:Fire: :-D

Jack

flhroy
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
HMMMMM a belt fed lever gun. Now that sounds like it could be fun.