PDA

View Full Version : More issues with my 35rem.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a Marlin 336 XLR in 35rem with a Leupold scout scope mounted out in front. I really like this set up and I have already hunted with it and have been very pleased with the results. However I am having reliability issues when it comes to shooting cast boolits. Quite often after shooting the chambered round I will throw the action open, the next round will be on the carrier, and a second round from the tube will be just ever so slightly over the carrier preventing it from rising, thus binding the action. I then have to get some thin pointy object to poke the one round back up into the tube, which results in freeing the action. The problem almost never happens when I use 200gr j-word reloads. Reloads with cast boolits like the RD 190gr, and boolits designed for the 357mag cause major reliability issues, and boolits with any sort of driving band will not camber without excessive force (i.e. 358429s and 358315).

First off is this a common reliability problem that I can fix or should this be left up to a gunsmith?

I am a little disappointed in the rather limited range of boolits that will close in my action, would having the chamber re-cut solve this problem?

On another note if I do end up having to take it to a gunsmith what are some opinions on having the barrel cut back to 18.5”~16.5”? Obviously this will reduce velocity some, but I doubt it will make deer/pigs any less dead. Could it hurt accuracy?

arcticbreeze
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Do a Google search for "The Marlin Jam". It has been well documented and that is what it sounds like from your description. I had the same problem with my 336 in 35 Rem but it is also common in the 1894.

Here is a link describing the issue and offering a fix you can do yourself if you feel comfortable working on your gun.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html

2ndAmendmentNut
11-20-2010, 11:25 PM
An excellent webpage thank you very much. Sounds exactly like my problem, and what do you know I am not the only one. Interesting I did not know Remington brass was ever so slightly smaller in the rim.

richhodg66
11-21-2010, 12:48 AM
For those who have done this, will Marlin still sell you a new carrier if your not a gunsmith (seems they've changed ownership)? Also, how much does one cost?

My old one does this all the time and I'm gonna fix it now that I know how. It's one of my favorite rifles and I'd love to have it working right.

arcticbreeze
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
For those who have done this, will Marlin still sell you a new carrier if your not a gunsmith (seems they've changed ownership)? Also, how much does one cost?

My old one does this all the time and I'm gonna fix it now that I know how. It's one of my favorite rifles and I'd love to have it working right.

I am not sure if they will now. I ordered mine from Brownells

iron mule
11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
i had a customer that needed a new carrier for his marlin and they only sell to ffls according to them now i ordered the carrier they told me it would be shipped next day after 2 months and many phone calls to them it had not showed up /// told customer if he wanted one we had to go elsewhere then ordered from brownells had it in 4 days and it was about 18.00 ceaper to boot
mule

2ndAmendmentNut
11-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks all I should be able to fix the jamming problem.

Any opinions on re-cutting the chamber or the barrel back to 16.5”?

45r
11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I had my 77 RC cut to 16.25 inchs.Best short rifle I've toted out in the woods,shoots my custom 215GC Mtn mold boolits into a ragged hole using 30 grains Vitt-133 at 60 yards.They lightly engrave when chambered and don't have any rimless headspace problems.

richhodg66
11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I am not sure if they will now. I ordered mine from Brownells

Thank you! I hadn't thought of Brownells. I'll do that.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys I did the tips recommended in the link posted by Articbreeze and now my 35rem is feeding extremely reliably.