PDA

View Full Version : Range Manners and Children

omgb
10-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, too bad Starmetal isn't around because this one would set him off for sure. I went to the range today adn in a matter of minutes was distracted beyond measure. Lots of dads there today with lots of little boys and girls. Gun barrels were generally in safe positions but at cease fire, keeping those kids back from the benches was a real PITA. During hot sessions, a little girl kept shreiking and a couple of boys (about 8 yrs old) were running up and down the line and then going out into the parking area and tossing dirt clods. Kids were not paying attention, dads were not correcting, range rules were being pushed and we all had to step in and help the RSO to keep things safe. It was as distracting as hell. I don't know what ticks me off more, the dads not doing anything about it or the dads not knowing what to do. Both seemed to be evident. Note, I'm not angry with the kids, they don't know any better unless parents train them. Sloppy manners any where but especially at the range take away from the joy of the experience and may in fact, make things unsafe.

SharpsShooter
10-08-2006, 04:26 PM
The parents are the safety issue in the situation you describe. Simply allowing your child to get out of hand in such a potentially dangerous location speaks to the quality of parenting I see more often than not. My son is five and has attended sillywet matches and has gone to the range with me regularly since he was four. He knows well that I will tolerate absolutely no loud talking, yelling etc. and he is to stay in his spot well out of the path of other shooters. He is also aware that he is not to touch any firearm without me present and supervising.

Most parents just kick the door open and turn em out to do whatever without regard or respect for other shooters. It is something that cannot and should not be tolerated.

SS

redneckdan
10-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I was always taught to sit at the next station to the right and not move unless directed to. I moved only once....and there was hell to pay. But I will admit. it instilled a continous awareness of what is going on around me on the range, i consider this a vital asset in my role as an RO at the campus pistol range.

versifier
10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
At our club, parents are required to buy junior memberships if they want to bring their kids. My own have all thought it's a treat to come along and behaved accordingly. Letting kids run wild there would likely cost the adult in question his(her) membership. About the worst things that happen are people not picking up their brass or shooting/patterning shotguns on the target butts. I guess we're lucky.

Jack Stanley
10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I saw a sign at a gun show once that might work at the range too . It simply said "Unattended children will be sold as slaves" Perhaps it could be modified for the parents in this case huh?[smilie=1:

Jack

sundog
10-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I think I would have called a cease fire. No, I KNOW I would have. At our range it is generally accepted that when ANYONE on the line calls a cease fire, it's just that - CEASE FIRE. Especially if you had a designated RO! It's one thing to have the kids out and have a shooting day for them (when they learn correct range etiquette among other things), but if they want to participate in the activities, well, there's only one set of rules. Break,em and a cease fire gets called. Think I'm a hard-ass. Not.

It's gotten so that when I do a shooters meeting for a match, one of the things I insist on is nothing but match related activities on the line. Wanna have a conversation? Take it to the rear. I have a very low toleration level. Can you tell? sundog

762cavalier
10-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Sounds to me like someone needs to take those Ill-mannered parents out behind the woodshed and teach em some manners. Letting your children run riot at a gun range is not only unsafe it is extremely disrespectful to others who came to shoot and not babysit. I see this kind of behavior more and more in our "not my fault" society:roll:

My son has always considered shooting with me a priviledge to be enjoyed and always does what I tell him even if its not what he wants to do:-D

omgb
10-08-2006, 11:49 PM
The fathers need the woodshedding, not the kids. The kids are ignorant not defiant. There's a big difference. :-D

Bigjohn
10-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Parents are basically the teachers of the future generations; while some children will develope their own traits most are instilled by the actions of their parents.

I will always remember the day a young lad went to his fathers range bag and pulled out a .25 cal pocket pistol and started waving it around in play. Mind you the Range Officer had declared the range safe and NO ONE was supposed to be handling any firearm. I believe many people saw the muzzle of that pistol before he was bought under control and the firearm removed.
I am happy to say that neither of them attend the range anymore and the kid; well he stands a good chance of being a client of mine.:roll:
John.

Pop Gun
10-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Many public ranges today are unsupervised and the education formed there acepted as normal operating procedure. Public ranges are predominately blammin ranges not well set-up for the reloader or experimentor. Think of all the different adjendas that could possibly exist from a benchrest guy with maybe 12 shells to test for accuracy, to a guy with an automatic who brought his ammo in a cloths basket. Two benches down was a guy who got called by his buddy last night to go hunting tomorrow and he wants desperately to just fire three shots on his way to work to confirm he is sighted in. Then there is the BP guy that drew the empty bench up wind of everyone. Everybody is going to have a different outlook and the wide open range philosophy of today encourages that mentality.

Expectations of all concerned are set for disappointment. I have seen people rile at even the hint of a rule or supervision. Much like rules on these boards.

The easiest thing is to post a rule board at the range. But absent of that, all the RSO would have had to have done was to stop the range once and explain what was expected. Then let enough time to pass for those to remove their stuff that do not want to conform to rules. Those ignoring the rules as repeat offenders should be asked to depart. Plain and simple.