View Full Version : Question on a scope mount for a lever gun

hickstick_10
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Hello fellas I have a quick question those on optics I know the fellas who know a thing or 2 on optics can answer.

I have this Henry big boy in 44 mag, I hardly shoot the damn thing anymore since I bought a marlin cowboy in 357 with a lyman tang sight, that gun is just more fun to shoot.

The Henry is heavy, bulky and just plain not practical for anything, I would trade it but it was my first rifle I bought so I'm hell bent on keeping it.

So question is, I was thinking of getting a malcolm leatherwood scope, one of those long ones, and mounting it to the Henry. I notice there is a mount that goes on the golden boy 22 rimfie which fits in the dovetail slot for the rear sight. Only the rear dovetail is holding the scope.
looks like this
http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/images/images/mcl-short-4.jpg
heres the mounts
http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/images/images/mcl-short-acce-dbo375.jpg

Would that mount be strong enough for the recoil of a 44 mag gun? And if not, could I drill and tap through the top rail of the mount to allow some additional screws to hold the attach the mount the barrel?

Or is the whole idea just not good? Im trying to get a little more fun/cool factor out of the gun is all. Im a machinist by trade so I could make or alter the original mount to fit the bigger octagon profile of the henry big boy barrel, so thats not an issue. but if Im going to ruin the dovetail slot by the pounding recoil thats what worries me.

deltaenterprizes
11-20-2010, 04:29 PM
You said it is heavy and bulky and now you want to add more weight and bulk?:groner:

hickstick_10
11-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Its for hunting pop cans mostly. Just looking for a new widget to add to a safe queen that might make me want to use it more for plinking.

Something that would make me want to use it more at the range, you know what I mean? The weight of it may be nice if I wanted to try out a scoped lever gun. Its got a big chubby barrel and weighs a ton, so it may be neat to scope it to see if I can hurl some 44 slugs at some farther away cans and steel plates.

gnoahhh
11-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't thing you'll batter up the sight slot from recoil, but I would be tempted to beef up the mounts somehow if subjecting it to a steady diet of magnums. Being a machinist I'm sure you can make that judgment call.

Your statement of end use for the thing does beg the question of why use full throttle magnums for plinking tin cans and ringing steel plates, why not load it down to .44 Special or .44 Russian levels and avoid the headache of over stressing the scope setup?