PDA

View Full Version : lube help

jlmomaha
11-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I posted this in another thread and thought it was better asked here lol..

ok guys, Got the Dev mold, casted up some tonight, for every 20 pounds of ww I add a 12" stick of 95%tin/5%antinmony welders solder. well on alot of the casts I have some tjink its called flashing or bleed thru around the spud, I was running around 800-900 degrees.

Also I have another problem, I made up some lube, I used a candle 2" dia x 8" and 4 tea light candles, 2 scoops approx 4"x3"x2" of vasoline, then I mixed in a little under an ounce of lee alox also a red crayon for color. the problem being when I pushed the boolits out, the wax didnt stay in the groove a few kept it all in most had 1/4 to 1/2 of the groove unlubed and some had none...

please throw me some ideas, and as always I am grateful for any advice, I am also sure some of the responses will start with "what the hell are you thinking..lol"

thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fryboy
11-20-2010, 02:53 PM
hmmm so what the holy heck you thinking ???? lolz

first off turn your heat down 800-900 is just about so much that any tin you add will be cooked ( oxidized ) off as fast as you put it in , ok that's a mild overstatement but it isnt far from the truth , i admit with a few hp's i run warmer but never that hot , one should strive for the lowest possible temp that will still produce good boolits

i'm a little lost on your lube post ...
" the problem being when I pushed the boolits out "

umm pan lubing , using a lubesizer or even no sizer ??????
as for the recipe .... my best suggestion is in the future to use a set measurement be it pounds ounces grams grains or even volumetric measurement , imagine had you created the best and finest possible lube going .... now imagine for the life of you that you couldnt duplicate it
what we are lacking is a description of the end result ...is it hard ? too hard ?? soft ?? to soft ?? crumbly ?? slick ?? too slick ?? was it heated ? if pan lubing did you allow the boolits to become warm enough to help bind the lube ?? these questions arent meant to knock your post ( or you ) but to merely show that your questions are kind of vague but plz keep in mind i could add quite a few more questions but not sure which tangent to take

jlmomaha
11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
lol, ok I was vague in my lube description, it was very brittle, I did however add more vasoline and alox to the mix and it seems rubbery now so I am hopeful I will pour some soon and report back I am pan lubing,
also I did not heat the bullets, as I type this there heating in the oven.. lol so we will see how this works out..

thanks for the advice on the heat I will try this next time I cast hopefuly tonight or tomorrow..

fryboy
11-20-2010, 05:49 PM
brittle usually needs a softener and perhaps something to help add flex ( sounded like it could use something to help adhere as well ) some lanolin does all the above , i'm going to guess now that you are pan lubing them , one of the best tips i know for that is dont be shy to give them plenty of room unless using a cake kutter to free them , sometimes too slick of a lube also wont adhere well , and if in a cake often if the cake gets broken to a boolit the lube usually comes out then too ( except that ikki stikki stuff i made - made nice flux tho ! lolz ) the heat up the pan w/boolits and wax also helps , a small pan or tray can be used to test a few boolits with before you're committed to the finished product
if pushing them out from a cake the "whack-it" method is the best i have used IMHO , the crack helps break/shear the lube in the grooves , after whacked they push the rest of the way out easy , i tried goat lips knife handle and settled on a rawhide or nylon mallet , g'luck amigo

jlmomaha
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM
wer can i find lanolin

fryboy
11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
online or off ? off line try a pharmacy , you're looking for anhydrous lanolin ( preferably ) they sell tubes of " Lansinoh " a nipple cream and i'm sure generic substitutes , in a vet. store look for a brand called corona - it'll smell medicine-y but they have several products , the best i found was the hoove dressing , randy rat one of our vendor sponsors sells beeswax just lately he's added lanolin ( i also believe he was working on adding carnuba )
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86774

online try thesage dot com and remember google sometimes is our friend !

jlmomaha
11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
thanks fry I appreciate your help, I am going to hit up a few places today..

fryboy
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
remember to let the mix cool somewhat before adding the lanolin , it should still be fluid and lanolin doesnt need much heat to melt and too hot will scorch it ( not good )
i once bought a ounce in a tube ( the tube was tin - bonus !! ) that was hydrogenated , i simmered it a small tuna can until melted and put it in the fridge , the lanolin went to the top the water went to the bottom , the label stated 50% lanolin and true to their word i ended up with a 1/2 ounce lolz

runfiverun
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
nursing mothers use a cream for their ummm sore areas.
it's called lamisil , lanosil or something like that, anyways it's lanolin.
about a spoonfull should be all you need.
it might be hydrous but any water in it will fizz out when you add it to the mix.
you could also try a bit of white lithium grease [about 15% by volumne] but the lanolin will add more sticky to the mix.

jlmomaha
11-23-2010, 09:18 PM
well everyone has a duh da duh moment, ummm all I had to do was wap em and the come out perfect.. lol.. I filled the tray till the lub was a little less that 1/4" from the top of the bullets, I pushed the 1st one out and the lube groove was filled perfect.the next 2 sucked, I got made dropped the cake on the table and some popped lose couple even flipped right side up and looked perfect!!!! I wapped it couple more times and pushed out perfectly lubed boolits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said i feel a lil moronic, but also happy..lol

mdi
11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
well everyone has a duh da duh moment, ummm all I had to do was wap em and the come out perfect.. lol.. I filled the tray till the lub was a little less that 1/4" from the top of the bullets, I pushed the 1st one out and the lube groove was filled perfect.the next 2 sucked, I got made dropped the cake on the table and some popped lose couple even flipped right side up and looked perfect!!!! I wapped it couple more times and pushed out perfectly lubed boolits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said i feel a lil moronic, but also happy..lol

Hey, If it works for you, keep it up!... [smilie=w: