PDA

View Full Version : 32 rim pistol

shotman
11-20-2010, 02:06 AM
I have old 32 rim fire pistol has spur trigger and says DEFENDER on top no serial round butt walnut grips looks like a iver but has a round butt.
any one know who made it?

Mk42gunner
11-21-2010, 12:49 AM
A few guesses Hopkins & Allen, H & R (or their predecessors), Iver Johson. I have seen I.J. round butted revolvers before.

I know I have read something about Defender model revolvers, but I can't remember who made them.

Robert

shotman
11-21-2010, 01:13 AM
well the first 2 can rule out as the way cyl pin is held in it looks same as IJ and with no serial it would run with IJ as many didnt
here is pic

Bret4207
11-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I've seen identical 22 and 32 RF revolvers. As far as I know they were European imports sold through catalogs and hardware stores back around the turn of the century through the end of WW1.

shotman
11-21-2010, 07:05 PM
hey bret I knew you were old but you surprized me wow LOL

Bret4207
11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
OUCH! Seriously, if you can find some old catalog reproductions from Sears or old sporting magazines from the 1890s or maybe some of the Shooters Bibles you;ll see the old advertisements for guns looking exactly like yours and the ones I've seen. IJ or some other American firm may have made them too, but I know for sure they were turned out by the zillions in European factories. Of course without having an IJ and that one in hand, depending on my memory is a risky gamble.

Somewhere in my collection I have a small book on IJ and most everything they produced. I'll see if I can find it.......assuming I can remember what I did with it!