PDA

View Full Version : Im having ignition problems

dangerranger
11-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I bought new remington 4570 cases. I primed as I always do with a hand primer and Win large rifle primers. on the first firing I had to hit each primers several times to get them to go off. so I thought that I haddent seated them well enough. so when I reprimed I was careful to seat each well and recheck each of them. before recharging them I tried a few and found that I still have a problem. So I ran a primer pocket uniformer through all the cases. I primed up ten and found that 3 0f the 10 wouldnt go boom. and two more had to be hit twice. so I dug out all the left over primers I had [ less than full boxes]. I found CCI, Fed, and some old Win. all work the same. any ideas what Im missing. Ive never had a problem like this before. DR

Don McDowell
11-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Broken firing pin,weak mainspring, or your headspace has went to the dogs..

NickSS
11-20-2010, 05:48 AM
I do not know what rifle you have but I have had that problem with a couple of mine both were old (early 90s vintage) C sharps 1875 rifles. One was due to a broken firing pin and the other was cue to a crack in the transfer bar where the pivot screw holds it in place. A new firning pin and a new transfer bar fixed the problems. Both rifles had thousands of rounds through them when the problem showed up.

runnin lead
11-20-2010, 06:11 AM
I had ignition problems with my1874 C. Sharps , problem was a broken firing pin.
It is important to go to 1/2 cock before opening the action on this type of action , tough to have friends try shooting it & get them in the habbit of going to 1/2 cock before opening the action , even saying 1/2 cock , 1/2 cock, 1/2cock they would still quite often open the action with the hammer down & the firing pin depressed.
Still it took a few thousand rounds before there was any problem with the firing pin.
I ordered 3 pins & return springs & now have 2 spares.
Someone I shot with broke a transfer bar & a couple firing pins on their 1874 Pedersoli Sharps.

dangerranger
11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I think Ive found it!this rifle is almost new with only a hundred or so down the tube. when I first looked at head space I had the extracter in place and it holds the round up just a little till the action is closed. without the extracter in place the round drops .0045 below the breech face. combine that with a short firing pin, and no boom. Ill see today if something is holding up the firing pin. thanks guys! DR

Gunlaker
11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
I think Ive found it!this rifle is almost new with only a hundred or so down the tube. when I first looked at head space I had the extracter in place and it holds the round up just a little till the action is closed. without the extracter in place the round drops .0045 below the breech face. combine that with a short firing pin, and no boom. Ill see today if something is holding up the firing pin. thanks guys! DR

Have you measured the rim thickness on your brass? I've recently had to cull about 30% of my new Starline brass as they have thin rims (in the 0.055" range). That's over several different boxes too.

Chris.

dangerranger
11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks, I just went out and measured the brass and found them in the area of .065 to .063. I guess thats where the .0045 went. it was also sugested that the hammer spring may be bad, Ill try that next. DR