PDA

View Full Version : Vaquero problem-HELP

Dogg
11-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Well I got the vaquero i won off gunbroker, think I may have a problem. The hammer can't be cocked. IT will start back about 1/2" and will go no further,cylinder can not be rotated. When the cylinder is removed still will not cock, however if the cylinder stop is depressed then the hammer frees up and can be cocked. The gun was unbelievably filthy with crud build up, I cleaned the best I could but have not tried to pull it apart to clean the inside. What can I do or do I need to send it back to Ruger.
Dogg

454PB
11-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Check to see if the transfer bar is sticking on the bottom of the firing pin as the gun is cocked.

EDK
11-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Check that the cylinder base pin is in all the way and locked in place. Try without the cylinder in place...the transfer bar may be catching on the firing pin if the plunger in the rear of the base pin doesn't push it back far enough.

Either find information and take it apart and clean it vigorously; find a friend to do it; or take it to a gunsmith, spend $20+ and let him clean it...and possibly wait a couple of weeks! The first couple times you take apart and re-assemble the gun, have the wife and kids go "far, far away" because the job usually involves some frustration and cursing.

One used VAQUERO had a badly worn sear/hammer notch and wouldn't stay on full cock and/or misfired constantly. I had a spare hammer and trigger; switched them out and now I'm back in business albeit with about twice the trigger pull! If you shoot it, it is going to require maintenance/replacement parts from time to time.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

DubiousDan
11-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Check that the cylinder base pin is in all the way and locked in place. Try without the cylinder in place...the transfer bar may be catching on the firing pin if the plunger in the rear of the base pin doesn't push it back far enough.

Just to add a bit to that. If the base pin is all the way in and you still can't cock it, try pointing the muzzle straight up and cocking it. This allows the transfer bar to fall away from the firing pin.

nicholst55
11-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Check to see if the hammer plunger is bent; that will make it do exactly what you're describing. It happens when the hammer is forced to cock with the loading gate open. AMHIK.

2 dogs
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Also, I have seen them with the wrong cylinder base pin in place. If its too short, it wont put pressure on the transfer bar. In any case, its a minor fix. Relax, and get back to us.

2 dogs
11-20-2010, 08:20 AM
If it turns out your hammer is messed up, I have several let me know if you need one.

Dogg
11-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I have spent a bit of time trying to figure this out, the transfer bar appears to be hitting the firing pin. with the cylinder out if I point it upwards is will cock, with the cylinder in this does not help.OK while typing this I am trying things that you all have suggested, kinda looks like the cylinder pin will not stay seated all the way in, since I don't know that much about these types of firearms please bear with me on my dumb questions, there is a spring loaded pin in the cylinder pin does it need to have a stronger sping or do I need a new cylinder pin? Or just a good soaking in cleaner. Also since this thing came in such a terribly filthy condition how do I take the side plates off to give a good cleaning to all the moving parts? I want to thank everyone for their help, I would just as soon try to fix this on my own if possible. Big thanks to 2dogs for the hammer offer, us dogs have to stick together THANKS
dogg

2 dogs
11-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Do me a favor, pull that base pin and measure the length. Lemme go get one out of the safe and measure it. I suspect you have a new vaquero cylinder pin in your gun not a vaquero pin.

LOL!

2 dogs
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
It should be something like 3.365 OAL including the tit that should be sticking out of the hammer end of the center of the base pin. If you dont have that tit you have a OM base pin. Also, lets be sure we are discussing a Vaquero and NOT a New Vaquero.

44man
11-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I have spent a bit of time trying to figure this out, the transfer bar appears to be hitting the firing pin. with the cylinder out if I point it upwards is will cock, with the cylinder in this does not help.OK while typing this I am trying things that you all have suggested, kinda looks like the cylinder pin will not stay seated all the way in, since I don't know that much about these types of firearms please bear with me on my dumb questions, there is a spring loaded pin in the cylinder pin does it need to have a stronger sping or do I need a new cylinder pin? Or just a good soaking in cleaner. Also since this thing came in such a terribly filthy condition how do I take the side plates off to give a good cleaning to all the moving parts? I want to thank everyone for their help, I would just as soon try to fix this on my own if possible. Big thanks to 2dogs for the hammer offer, us dogs have to stick together THANKS
dogg
The spring loaded plunger in the back of the pin pushes the transfer bar back off the firing pin. If the whole pin is sliding out the front, that is what needs fixed.
There are no "side plates".
Someone might have replaced the pin with a NM Vaquero pin but I doubt it, sounds like the pin is moving out.
Ruger will fix it free and should even pay postage. Call them.

Firebricker
11-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I had a NM Vaquaro with a similar problem. Mine turned out to be a burr on the hammer plunger. The hammer plunger pushes the bolt down when you first pull the hammer back to allow the cylinder to rotate. I cleaned it up with fine grit paper and that fixed it. FB