PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with the Model 8

KCSO
11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Just back from deer camp and the Model 8 Remington has done the job again. I dropped a spike buck at about 125 yards with one heart shot. The deer was up hill from me so the bullet took out the heart and went up through the lung on the off side and exited just below the spine. A 1" hole going in and a 2" hole going oout. The load was a 200 grain cast bullet at 2000 fps. I still have a couple of tags to fill and will take the 8 back out in January for late season.

Now the reason for the post...

I have read Crossman's critisism of the Model 8 and would offer this rebuttal:

I will first comment that most of the critisism of the rifle comes mostly from dedicate bolt gunners and not necessaraily from disinterested parties, kind of like asking Elmer Keith about a 270.

The gun is heavy. Well not really, consider that in 1910 a lever gun of similar power would have weighed 9 pounds or more and quite frankly MEN were use to carrying heavier guns and wern't as delicate as some of the later shooters. My 35 remington weighs in at 7 3/4 pounds on the nose and by contrast my Krag sporter weighs 8 pounds so which gun is heavy?

It's clumsy to carry. I don't find it so. I have 3 8's and an 81 and have owned several and quite a few of them show blue wear just aft of the front sight where your hand naturaly curls around and grasps the gun just ahaed of the magazine. Or if you prefer hold the gun in the crook of your left arm with the hand curled abaft of the magazine. Certinaly no clumsier than the 95 Winchester, the Krag or a 91 Argentine.

The spool cocking handle is ugly. Yeah it is, but when you need to work the action in the field and it's freezy cold you can get a grab on it. And a darn sight better than the little stump on the Model 11 that someone wanted to copy.

Last but not least, it KICKS! Well excuse meeee! Yes there is some recoil, but having shot a 1886 light weight hunting rifle and a 35 Remington side by side I'll take the Remington. The problem here is that the Remington has a unique recoil that is so different that it is noticed by folks. Since i have shot heavy recoiling guns for over 40 years now i can't say that I find the Model 8 all that bad, and compared to say a Ruger #3 in 45-70 it's right pleasant.

So I will just continue to carry my M8 afield for a few more years and I hope to pass one down to each grandson so they can continue the tradition.

I agree with John Browning the Model 8 is simply one of the best hunting rifle made.

home in oz
11-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Got photos?

KCSO
11-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Here is the latest deer for the 35 and here is a picture of the area we hunt. This last picture was taken last M/L season in December, we haven't had snow here YET.

home in oz
11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Neat photos!

Good Hunt!

leadman
11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice photos! That rifle is about perfect for hunting in Michigan. I have always wanted one, they have alot of class.
Lived in Dorr until '81 when we moved to Az. Might have to go back for a hunt next year.

Jack Stanley
11-20-2010, 09:40 PM
So who is Crossman and when will he be sending you a rifle that works better that the one you have ??? I'd say it's tough to argue with results and your results are speaking pretty good right now .

I think those old rifles have their own certain class regardless of make as long as they were well made . Like the Winchester twenty-two pumps , some love them and all I can do is appreciate them for the nice rifles they are .

Jack

JJC
11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Nice rifle and story. My great grand pa hunted with one like yours. It's a safe queen now. Can't get my dad to do anything with it.

crazy mark
11-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I have a M-81 in 300 Sav. Yes the recoil is different. Mine has the original peep sight which I paid more for than the rifle. They are wonderful rifles and good shooters. I am trying to find a M-81 in 35 Rem for under $400 and it seems to be impossible. Crossman can go fly a kite in a lightening storm.

home in oz
11-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Very classy old rifle!

(I want one!)

KCSO
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
In 1930 or so Remington Hired Ned Crossman a famed gun writer like Duke to critique and help upgrade the Remington line. His suggestions were for the most part ignored but some did go into the model 81 in 1936.

Here in this country I hunt I actually have two rifles in camp during season. I carry the Model 8 in the valleys and the cedar breaks and if we are hunitng the ridge tops I carry the scoped Krag. The M8 with iron sights will do the job as far away as the Krag , but my eyes aren't any good for the shots we get early morning and late afternoon as the deer cross over the ridges. I still have two doe to take in January Late season so the M8's will ride again.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Good for You. I still use a Model 14, 32 Remington, for the same reasons plus, I can't find a cherry Model 8.

BvT