PDA

View Full Version : Wickcliffe 76

45r
11-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have one of these rifles and what do you think of them.Looks like they're making them again at Wickliffe76.blogspot.com.

Bullshop
11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Strong to the extreme, heavy, unrefined finish, illfitting wood to metal, ugly purple blue finish, over priced. Did I forget anything? I only have experiance with the 1980's vintage guns and know nothing of new production.

trevj
11-20-2010, 02:01 PM
There were two different fellas claiming the right to be called the owners of the name. They had a running battle going across the web, for quite a while.

Pretty much made the name itself unwelcome in a couple forums, and anyone that showed up either asking about them, or (esp.) singing the praises of them, was suspect.

They are heck for strong. Not much for the looks, IMO.

When a fella can get an 1885 or a Ruger, and know that parts will always be around, the attraction just ain't there for me.

Cheers
Trev

bobthenailer
11-20-2010, 05:12 PM
theres a used one at a local gun shop , must be in a varmet caliber as it has one of the older long target scope on it possibley a redfield 3200 ?

Harry O
11-20-2010, 09:42 PM
A couple of years ago, I saw a custom one on a gunshow table. It had a quick removable barrel and two additional barrels in different calibers. One was .243, one was .308, but I can't remember what the third one was. It may have been 7mm-08 or .358 Win. All of the cartridges had the same base. It looked good. Not show quality, but a reasonably nice wood and bluing.

I was interested. Unfortunately, I could not get it to work. I would open it and could not get it closed. When that happened, I gave it back and the owner put his finger in the action, pushed on something, and it would close. I did not like the idea of putting my finger in and feeling around for something that should worked properly. I figured that it was put together from parts and not put together properly. I passed.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Two years ago I bought a "kit" from the late Tom Ondrus. I was in a buying mode that year, so it and a Steve Earle Wesson #1LR and a few other items got squirreled away.
It is a day away from shooting now. The action is an oversized Stevens 44 1/2 from what my gunsmith makes of it. Those will need a few hours of a gunsmith's time smoothing and polishing to make a fine rifle. Mine is in 45-120 and with the 34" heavy barrel will weigh close to fourteen pounds. I have fired an original chambered in 338-378 Wbee, so there are no concerns about strength. A bit of engraving and color casehardening to follow.

They are not as attractive as a HiWall or Stevens 44/44 1/2, but compared to a Rolling Block, very nice looking. There are no cartridge OAL restrictions and a straight comb stock can be fitted. You can also put up to a 1 2/8ths inch barrel on it.

I plan to load mine to .450 NE, about like a 458 Lott. The rifle will go to Africa with me, if not next year, certainly in the spring of 2012.

I would not mind having another, or two...

Rich
have I mentioned my Ten Bore Double Rifle yet