PDA

View Full Version : S&W N Frame Roper-style Grips

USSR
11-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Am picking up a really nice S&W Model 25-5, with 6" barrel in .45 LC. I want to replace the standard S&W Target grips with a Roper-style of grip. I am considering the following:

Eagle Grips - Heritage Model
Ahrends Grips - Retro Target Stock
Herrett Stocks - Roper Gun Stock

Am leaning towards the Ahrends at this point. What say ye?

Don

MtGun44
11-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I know nothing about the Retro Target Stock, but I met Kim years ago when he was getting
started and he is a good workman. I have a few of his grips and they are very well done.

Bill

Interesting handle - what's the story on that?

nicholst55
11-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm kind of partial to Herrett's, myself. I'm sure the other grips are just as good, though. This thread reminds me, I need to order some grips from them; wonder if they still have my hand tracing on file from 1975?

mellonhead
11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
I have 2 sets of the Retro Targets on N frames right now and really like them. They have a good fit and feel good in the hand.

Toby

357Mag
11-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Ruskie -

Howdy !

While I have used Herret's " Jordan Trooper " ( Roper-stolle ) grips since the early 80s, my only complaint is that ( to my knowledge ) you can only order them in Walnut.

I carry/shoot a regular " square " butt,

For a "round butt " application, there's always Jerry Mikulek's style of speed grips. These however, operate w/ the back strap exposed.

I myself wnet w/ an "N" frame, specifically because they fit my large hands better.
( Bill Jordan also was reported to have rather large hands ).

I can carry the "N" frame square butt 4" in the small of my back , under a loose fitting shirt just fine; and it doesn't "show". Of course, if a round butt works for you, concealed carry would be even smoother.

The Herrett's "Jordan Trooper"s give me great control and allow for as much speed as I can must. I shoot full-tilt .357Mags in a custom 4" heavy barrel on a
( Former NY State Police ) M520 frame/cylinder.

Cant' speak to the two others.

With regards,
357Mag

Murphy
11-19-2010, 01:43 AM
USSR,

Just my experience with 2 of the three you have mentioned.

Eagle Heritage: What you'll find is they are pretty much the same as the old Target Size grips that S&W put out for years. I picked up a set a few years back to put on a Model 29. The fit and finish were dead on, no complaints. But for all intent and purpose? You'll just be replacing one set of grips for another almost exactly like them.

Ahrends Retro Target: Can't beat the fit and finish. I have them on a Model 28 and a Model 29. I do like the shape of the Retro Targets and the filler behind the trigger guard is just fine. While the profile is fine and dandy, the width/thickness is a tad larger than what I like to be honest. I'm seriously considering taking the time to thin them down for a better fit to MY hand.

Herretts: I can't say that I've ever handled a set of Ropers. I was just reading the other night from Skeeter Skelton's book Hoglegs, Hipshots and Jalapenos. He was recalling a discussion he and Steve Herrett had about grips in general. I do know Skeeter preferred his grips on the slim side according to the article.

357Mag makes a lot of good points in his post. Jerry Miculek's grip is a fine grip. The width is perfect for my hand. Not long ago, I used my dial calipers and checked the difference in width between the Ahrends Retro Targets vs the Miculek's. The Miculek were .125 thousandths thinner. If I could find a maker who make's the Miculek profile grip without the round bottom, I'd be in hog heaven.

Grips are pretty much like shoes, your's ain't gonna feel good on my feet and vise versa. See if you can find someone local who has a pair of Miculek's and see how you like the width first.

As for the exposed backstrap vs covered, it all has to do with the size of the hand once again. Trigger reach will be affected, so you may want to take that into consideration in making your decision.

Personally? I'd give Herrett's a call about the Roper's. Just my 2 cent's, thanks for taking the time and sorry for such a long post.

Murphy

GARCIA
11-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I have got the Roper grips on two of my Ruger Redhawks with a third set coming for another Redhawk that I am picking up next week.

Tried other after market grips from the big makers and was not happy. Spent the hard cash for the Herretts and have not looked back!!

They do work well with heavy recoiling handguns. The best part is they are custom made for your hand.

Tom

Char-Gar
11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I have two pair of original Roper grips and nobody makes grips like that. The original Ropers were checkered in a distinctive pattern, hand palm swells and flaired a hair at the bottom. Everything seemed to be done just right and I have never found other grips that fit the hand like these.

There have have been a number of attempt to capitalize on the name Roper, but none are like the originals.

Eagle Heritage... There are closer to the old Smith and Wesson "Coke Bottle" grips than the Ropers. They have the palm swells, but are larger and bulkier throughout, than the originals. They have more bottom flare.

Eagle Classic.. There are close to what Skeeter Skelton decided was his modification of the Roper pattern but without the palm swells.

Checkering is OK for 22 handguns, but on handguns with any recoil, can abrade the hand. Smooth oil finished is the way to go.

Bear Hug - Deccon Deason, borrowed some of Skeeter's grips and made a pattern and sold them as Skelton grips. They were good grips, but they were not uniform. Deacon made them by hand and some had palm swells and others did not. They also varied widely in thickness. When Deacon died, Bear Hug died also. The grips have become quite pricy. I sold all of mine exept one pair of Rosewood on my K-38 and anothe pair of walnut on my K-22. He was an encentric guy who would talk for hours on the phone with you, as long as you were paying the bill.

Blu- Magnum - Ted Adamovitch, made a very faithful copy of the Skelton grips but he has been in and out of business and always long in deliver time. I do have a pair of his grips on my Ruger OM SBH that are great. If you can get your hands on some of his grips, you have some great grips.

Ahrends... I have only looked at their web site, but they look much like the Eagle Classic and should rate the same comments.

Herritts.. They have been making sixgun grips for me since 1958. I find their Jordon grips to be way to big. They bear no resemblance to Roper grips and Bill Jordon had hands like a gorilla. I shot his old M&P and Combat Magnum a few times, and even on the K frame, they were unmanageable by me.

Their Trooper grips are still too big for me.

Their Detective grips are just about right for my hands and can be had for most any DA sixgun.

They now produce a grip they call Roper, but it lack the palm swells. They are about the same grips ad the Ahrends Retro and the Eagle Classic. I have about a dozen pair of Herritt grips, in the Detective and Roper patterns. I only got one bad pair, and they were replaced forthwith by Herritt with great apologies. They are good folks

Heritts made Skeeters grips for him, but they would not under any circumstances make them for anybody else. I know, I tried on several occasion with no luck.

Some years back, I bought up a nice supply of Herritts over the counter Shooting Star grips for Smith K and N frames and the Colt large frame. I now take those down and shape them to a perfect fit for my hand, then sand and finish. They are a better fit to my hand than any but the original Roper made grips.

With handguns, their only point of attatchement to the body is the shooting hand and grip fit tothe hand is very important. Handgun grips are very personal and individual and what works for one shooter may not work at all for the next. Hands vary!!

fourarmed
11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I go with Chargar here. Haunt the gun shops and shows, and pick up whatever fits your gun and is reasonably priced, then shape them yourself. Saves a heck of a lot of time inletting, and you get exactly what you think you want.

357Mag
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
USSR -
Forgot to mention about the Herrett's " Jordan Trooper " grips....

Had to provide additional " relief " to the Left grip panel, to ensure sufficient clearance for uninhibited operation w/ speedloaders ( Safariland, HKS ).

I blended this area of the grips to also include a revised location for my strong-hand thumb. While the wood was significantly thinned in the affected grip panel
area, it has never cracked in 27yr use.

Regards,
357Mag

old goat
11-19-2010, 09:15 PM
...The last three pair of grips I received from Eagle
grips, had a paint stencil on the inside of each panel that said "Made in India". I'd buy Made in USA.

...old goat

USSR
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Great discussion and comments. At this point, because of the comments regarding the size of the Eagle Heritage grips, I believe I can eliminate them from consideration. So, now it is between the Ahrends and Herretts. Both seem to have positive points.

Don

USSR
11-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Guys,

Anybody familiar with these?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1473/Product/S_W_MICULEK_COMPETITION_GRIPS

Don

Murphy
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Don,

I have several sets of these (Miculek's) on both K & N frame S&W's. They are thinner than any full sized grip I have found so far. The filler behind the trigger guard works great for my hand. The only thing I dislike about them is the rounded bottom.

If I could find a grip maker who stocked this exact grip, but attached to the gun by a screw and not the stirrup thru the bottom set up, I'd most likely have them on all my guns.

Murphy

USSR
11-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I want to thank all you guys for your input and advice regarding grips, especially Murphy. I have decided to go with the Ahrends Retro grips for several reasons (great selection of different woods, and I can order them unfinished and "adjust" them if necessary prior to my putting a finish on them). Again, many thanks.

Don

Murphy
11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
USSR,

Keep us updated once you've finished your project. I'm sure there are others here who would benefit from your experience in doing what you are going to do.

Thanks,

Murphy

sixshot
11-21-2010, 02:31 AM
I make lots of them for N frame S&W's, these are round to square. I mostly use fancy walnut but have lots of wood available. I make them two different ways, first is fitted to the gun with the hardware installed, the customer does the final shaping & sanding to suit them. also make them completely finished. You can PM me for more details.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_2367-7.jpg
I also make them out of several different laminates for the competition shooters.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_1681-2.jpg

Dick

ItZaLLgooD
11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Beautiful grips Sixshot!!