PDA

View Full Version : Mauser bolt shroud mod?

Nora
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm considering ideas as to what I'll like to do to the new found bastardized Mauser I've got. I'd like to consider grinding off the blast shield on the bolt shroud as shone in the picture unless the cringe factor to this idea would be to great.
This would only be to streamline the shroud and is to serve no other purpose.

What saids the masses?

Nora

Uncle Grinch
11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Every man to his own, but I believe that shield was put there to deflect any gases that made it back to the shooter in case of a ruptured primer or case. It keeps that nasty hot stuff off your face.

MtGun44
11-18-2010, 11:12 PM
If you ever blow a case afterdoing that you will have to spend a bunch of time picking
brass out of your face, and if particularly unlucky, you could lose an eye. That improvement
was paid for by someone's eye back in 1880s or 1890s. Shame to have to learn all
lessons personally.

Bill

leadman
11-18-2010, 11:17 PM
I believe that Paul Mauser was the one that lost the eye. I would not grind it off unless I was positive I would not shoot without safety glasses.

Nora
11-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Ya that's what the thinking part of my brain was saying as well. I just needed to hear it
Thanks guys.

Kinda goes along with my favorite rednecks last words "Hey hold my beer and watch this!"

Nora

EMC45
11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I believe that Paul Mauser was the one that lost the eye. I would not grind it off unless I was positive I would not shoot without safety glasses.

That is the first thing that came to my mind too. There is a picture out there of Paul with a very dead eye and drooping eyelid to boot.....

Von Dingo
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I've seen mods done in the other direction, putting the flange on bolt shrouds that dont have them.

Ben
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM
If Paul Mauser felt it needed to be on MILLIONS of his rifles, that is good enough for me .

6.5 mike
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM
What Ben said.

Sanchez
11-19-2010, 11:32 PM
That is the first thing that came to my mind too. There is a picture out there of Paul with a very dead eye and drooping eyelid to boot.....

Yes, Paul Mauser was blinded in 1 eye while test-firing a prototype autoloading rifle. IIRC, this was sometime post-1900.

You would be very well-advised to not mess w/ the 98's bolt shroud. As noted above, it's there for a very good reason.

From a mid 80's personal experience, I can attest to the usefulness of the unaltered shroud: Somebody else's reload ruptured it's case, sending propellant gasses/debris into my forhead. No serious injuries, but I did feel a strong blast, much like compressed air at around 40-50 psi from a very close distance. My polycarb shooting glasses saved the eyes, & upon inspection I quickly noted grey powder residue on the front lip of the shroud, right @ TDC.

That was enough proof for myself & that favorite lil' custom FN 1948 by VC Hart.