PDA

View Full Version : Shot the Smith today

Tom-ADC
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Only 20 rounds, used the plastic cases with 38.7 grs of Goex FFFg had to use the pistol range so was limited to 25 yards all fired off hand. Recoil wasn't bad shot in a T shirt I figure these old eye's were a handicap and if I load down to 28 grs or so this thing should shoot just fine.
I did find it was easier for me to turn the rifle upside down and use my thumb on the unlock button, maybe just getting weak in my old age.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/393473472.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/393473471.jpg

Tom-ADC
11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
The Smith:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/JCHiggins/SMITH%20CARBINE/CIMG3345.jpg

leadman
11-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Nice looking gun. Does look like some load development is in order. I have read these are not tackdrivers but just being able to fire this is a great accomplishment.

Tom-ADC
11-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Should have noted the trigger was horrible, you start to squeeze and it drags and seems to have 3 stages of movement can use a lot of smoothing up for sure. Going to try a new spring and see if that helps.

leadman
11-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Bad trigger can cause groups to open up for sure.

Tom-ADC
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Not sure I can get in there and polish the proper parts to smooth it up, rough is the best way to discribe it. Guessing trigger pull close to 10 lbs.
But all that said it is a fun rifle to shoot. Super easy to load, no press or dies required.

cwskirmisher
11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
These have horrible triggers out of the box - the lawyers have ensured that they come with deep full cock notches and 7-12 lbs of pull. But, the good news is they are pretty easy to get them to 3lbs without real surgery on the innards. Replace the un-godly stiff sear spring with a 2-turn coil made from light gauge music wire. Put a 90degree bend in each end, one end will keep it off of the bottom of the lock, the other bend will mate up with the trigger to keep pressure even on the tumbler. Sounds harder than it is - once you see inside, you will understand it. The coil fits over the pin for the original sear spring. It does not have to fit the pin, just go over it. That should reduce the trigger pull to around 5 lbs. To get rid of the creep, solder a brass shim onto the full cock notch - you can find thin brass at any hobby/modelling store. Get as thin as you can find. The combination of the solder and brass will get your trigger/sear up flush to the top of the notch and does two things - eliminates the creep, and further reduces the pull to around 2.5-3 lbs. You can then adjust up or down by simply changing the 'tension' of the coil sear spring. Warning - do not get it below 2.5 lbs - the gun will likely drop into half-cock when you squeeze the trigger, and if that happens more than 2-3 times, you will likely break the sear end off. You need a little tension for the sear to clear that half-cock notch when the sear releases. And don't file off the half-cock notch if this happens - it is there for a reason. Increase the trigger pull slightly and it will clear fine. A little experimentaion will get you there. As far as the comment that these things "aren't tack drivers", I beg to differ. They certainly do not shoot like your AR-15 through the same hole, but even off-hand, they are capable of superb groups. My best off-hand group with this carbine was at 50 yards and I shot a 94-4x (out of a possible 100-10x), using N-SSA scoring rules (more than 50% of bullet must be inside the next higher scoring ring). Using NRA rules (bullet just touching/breaking the line) it would have been a 97-6x. No wiping between shots, and after three "sighters" in another target before firing the official string. That was with a pure lead 360 grain RNFP sized to .002 over groove, lubed with 50/50 beeswax-crisco, over 28 grains 3F Goex and COW filler. Bullet seated to just engage the rifling upon closing the action. All the stars and moons aligned that day and I admit it was an unusual occurance, but it can be done.

Tom-ADC
11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Light gage music wire? .032 or .062 (1/32 or 1/16 in diameter?
Was going to buy one, I tried calling Lodgewood but phone was busy tried 1/2 dozen times over a 1/2 hour.
I'll make my own.
cwskirmisher want to thank you for the help.

cwskirmisher
11-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Light gage music wire? .032 or .062 (1/32 or 1/16 in diameter?
Was going to buy one, I tried calling Lodgewood but phone was busy tried 1/2 dozen times over a 1/2 hour.
I'll make my own.
cwskirmisher want to thank you for the help.

1/16 sounds about right - you are very welcome. Glad to help a fellow admirer of the weapons of the late war of northern aggression! They certainly are fascinating pieces.

Besides Lodgewood you may want to try S&S. But it really is easy to make your own.

home in oz
11-19-2010, 11:50 PM
That Smith Carbine is eye candy for sure!

NickSS
11-21-2010, 09:09 PM
What CWSkirmisher said about working on the trigger is right on. I did the same minor sergery to mine and it has a nice crisp 3 pound trigger and from a rest at 50 yards will put 10 shots into less than 2 inches all day long. Off hand I get down to around 3 inches but average closer to 3.5 for 10 shots. My smith is my favorite CW carbine I like it better than the sharps and the Galleger I have and it shoots as well as my Spencer too.

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I finally got around to making a new trigger spring up, took a few tries, started with .020 dia but way to light and didn't seem to hold halfcock or fullcock solid, went to .030 dia same thing, then tried .040 with three coils & could not be happier, don't have a trigger pull gage but both half & fullcock are solid and trigger lets off nice & crisp also light.
Will check it Monday at the range.
Special thanks to cwskirmisher for the advice and feedback.

leadman
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Good trigger should help you out. Have fun at the range.

cwskirmisher
12-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Well I finally got around to making a new trigger spring up, took a few tries, started with .020 dia but way to light and didn't seem to hold halfcock or fullcock solid, went to .030 dia same thing, then tried .040 with three coils & could not be happier, don't have a trigger pull gage but both half & fullcock are solid and trigger lets off nice & crisp also light.
Will check it Monday at the range.
Special thanks to cwskirmisher for the advice and feedback.

:) my pleasure - now go have fun!