PDA

View Full Version : Not going to change a thing

longranger
11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I shot this target a few days ago @ 200 yds. at our little local range.
It was shot with my Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter in 45-70 using a Paul Jones Creedmoor 45001 cast 20:1 and 69gr Swiss 1.5 .30 LDPE wad Starline brass,my own lube.It was one of those perfect days,no wind.I had shot @100 yds before this target and it was good enough to move it out to 200 yds.It did better @ 200 than 100yd.It is 15 shots,blow tube used,2 breaths for the first three shots then 3 breaths for the last 2 shots.Bore was wiped after each 5 shot group with 25% Napa cutting oil and distilled water on 2 damp patches and then a dry patch.I am pretty happy with this rifle it's been a shooter from day one.:drinks:

montana_charlie
11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
If that result remains the same through three separate shooting sessions, it may be 'the load'.
I have trouble getting the same performance in subsequent sessions...and haven't nailed down the variable which boogers the results.

CM

Lead pot
11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
If the rifle did it once it will do it again and again as long as you keep the barrel clean.

Kurt

Kenny Wasserburger
11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Now you need to bring that load back to the ranch and do some 600 to 1000 yard testing!

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Looking very good. Agree Kurt about it happened once,,, and with Kenny now its time to get some long distance in with that and see just how far it'll hold up. Doing so with someone like Kenny coaching and spotting would also be a big plus as he should be able to help determine if its the load or the shooter that falls apart when the distances get long.

longranger
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
This is about the third time out that his rifle has shot groups this well.I finally started to keep good records of what I was doing and it now can be repeated as far as the numbers go.I shot this rifle alot in CA at silhouettes and was devasating on the turkey and ram line.I had put it down and have been playing with revolvers since moving to Wyoming.
Kenny, I have the last kid graduating from College this Dec. I have missed your shoots since I lived here because there was always a kid or grandchild graduating from somewhere or from something.Not for another 4 years now.I relish the opportunity to meet you and shoot at your range.
Mr Wasserberger and Mr McDowell have helped me tremendously over the past 7-8 years on the Shiloh forum.I can no longer get on the forum over there.Lucinda and I have done about all that is possible.Since they changed whatever they changed it just won't let me log in.But I read all of their post' here and over there.I learned from these 2 shooters that you follow the leaders and success will follow you.

Don McDowell
11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Don't forget to keep an eye on available weekends and what the bunch up there at Forsyth are doing. Seems they shoot something about everyweekend, and going up and working over the "Quigley" gongs with only a handful of folks around might be a decent thing to test some loads.

longranger
11-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Mr McDowell ,thank you for the heads up I shall inquire

semtav
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't forget to keep an eye on available weekends and what the bunch up there at Forsyth are doing. Seems they shoot something about everyweekend, and going up and working over the "Quigley" gongs with only a handful of folks around might be a decent thing to test some loads.

Come up any second Sunday of the month for the Buffalo gong shoot. Starts at one.

third Sunday is the Silhouette Shoot. Starts at ten, but this time of the year it gets pretty iffy if its held, because of the location with snow and mud.

However even the locals don't get to practice at the Quigley targets but twice a year. they take them all down except the one that is also used as the 1000 yd target. The Monthly gong shoot is held just up the road closer to town.

Don McDowell
11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Mr. McDowell passed away 35 yrs ago yesterday, and is still terribly missed..... I'm just Don.

Another thing is to go over and shoot with Garbe and co in Cody when they shoot those 40 rod matches.

longranger
11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks Semtav,
I have taken notes of dates and times,I'll watch the weather in Jan I will be in S.Carolina for another graduation after Thankgiving thru Christmas.First Christmas with my baby girl (28) in 7 years.

Don, no offense intended just respect.

Don McDowell
11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Longranger I know, just me bein a smartazz......