PDA

View Full Version : droopy Winchester 71 lever

bigbear
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Was looking at a used Win71. The lever drops down about 1/4" when action closed, locking bolts also drop drown abit? serious? easy /hard fix?Rifle looks virtually new mechanically.

armed_partisan
11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
The action is probably more solidly closed when there is a round in the chamber. If it's a Model 71, and the price is reasonable, I say BUY it. Them things is expensive 'round here!

John Taylor
11-18-2010, 09:14 PM
The friction stud and spring are stuck/broken. Look here for the part http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7723

bigbear
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
The friction stud and spring are stuck/broken. Look here for the part http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7723

Just heard from my gunsmith, he says above parts are just fine.he says rifle has been taken apart before, bore looks pristine so wear is not the issue, he's inspecting it further but still not sure about the problem . I am getting hesitant about proceeding further, loose lever would in my mind mean less than tight lockup which is not a good thing.tell me I'm wrong as rifle otherwise nice and seller is a very nice chap I've dealt with before.However he was not original owner and I'm pretty sure not the one that had rifle apart before.

ammohead
12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
My 71 has droopy lever syndrome. It locks up nice when closed and won't fire unless lever is closed completely. If it effects the operation in any way I have not seen it. The locking lugs on a 71 are different from a 86. they slant back at an angle and overly stout loads can cause the lever to open slightly. I think I read somewhere that the slant is to prevent overpressure lockup. Maybe this design change leads to the droopy lever syndrome that seems more prevalent in 71's.

ammohead

bigbear
12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
My 71 has droopy lever syndrome. It locks up nice when closed and won't fire unless lever is closed completely. If it effects the operation in any way I have not seen it. The locking lugs on a 71 are different from a 86. they slant back at an angle and overly stout loads can cause the lever to open slightly. I think I read somewhere that the slant is to prevent overpressure lockup. Maybe this design change leads to the droopy lever syndrome that seems more prevalent in 71's.

ammohead

Do you get excessive case stretch with your rifle?

bigbear
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Just got a call from my gunsmith, he says he's going to make up a headspace gauge for 348Win just to check my droopy rifle, because he enjoys working on my old rifles, put a big smile on my face, every cloud may have a silver lining.

madsenshooter
12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
If they hall had silver linings the EPA would declare that it was some sort of hazardous pollutant.

markinalpine
12-02-2010, 08:28 PM
"Droopy lever syndrome?"
Don't they make pills for that? :kidding:
Mark :coffeecom

ammohead
12-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Do you get excessive case stretch with your rifle?

Not that I have noticed. I only load cast in it now and probably never will load condom bullets in it again.

ammohead

John Taylor
12-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Just got a call from my gunsmith, he says he's going to make up a headspace gauge for 348Win just to check my droopy rifle, because he enjoys working on my old rifles, put a big smile on my face, every cloud may have a silver lining.

Don't need to make a gauge, just use a new factory round and masking tape. If you get more than two layers of tape (.008") you got a problem. Most 86 or 71 will have a problem if you set head space to close.

bigbear
12-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't need to make a gauge, just use a new factory round and masking tape. If you get more than two layers of tape (.008") you got a problem. Most 86 or 71 will have a problem if you set head space to close.
Where exactly do I put the tape, the neck? the whole case? Hopefully not too dumb a question.

12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I think JT was referring to poor mans's headspace gauge- put the tape on the head... over the primer. The same theory/method as Plastigauge- the stuff used for checking clearances on bearings when re-building engines.

jtaylor1960
12-10-2010, 05:43 PM
You can use a 45/70 headspace gauge.The 348 has the same rim diameter as the 45/70 even though the head size is different.I bought a set to use on my own 71.I too have a droopy lever.The gauges however show no problem.I'm thinking with the tapered locking lugs it takes very little wear to cause such a problem.I would still buy the rifle unless they are asking an extreme price for it.

bigbear
12-11-2010, 01:01 AM
I thought about this theory too, but.....I have an old beat up 71 with lots of wear, no droop. The droopy lever 71 is virtually new internally. The gunsmith borescoped it and was shocked by how pristine the bore was... so the wear theory is not going to work well with this one.

bigbear
12-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Took him 5 hours but he fixed it! Snug as a bug in a rug:-D
The shop was a zoo so he didn't go into details but he was quite pleased with himself and I with the rifle. Happy Happy

12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Good news! Hate to see a fine 71 languish around in less than top shape.

hornsurgeon
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Took him 5 hours but he fixed it! Snug as a bug in a rug:-D
The shop was a zoo so he didn't go into details but he was quite pleased with himself and I with the rifle. Happy Happy

please find out just what was the problem and share it with us. there are fewer and fewer good gunsmiths out there, i may need the answer to your issue someday for my 71

bigbear
12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I will be seeing him in the New Year as he has my 32-20 lever he's tidying up an extra hole an idiot put in it (and no , I was not the idiot), I'll be sure to pump him for info then.All the good gunsmiths I've ever know are/were old, and most of them have passed on:cry:

bigbear
12-26-2010, 05:51 PM
:bigsmyl2:I took the tightened Win 71 to the range,wow, the best shooting 71 I've ever had, Brownings included. Shoots my favorite Hornady 200gr load into 1 1/2' AT 100YDS sweeeet!

44magLeo
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
If the head space is right I don't think it would bother me too much. When you soot it you will be holding the lever up. So it should be ok.