PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Stupid Stupid...

dk17hmr
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh man did I ever screw up. I had a nice little meat buck coming in tonight, scrub buck 3 points on one side and a miss shaped 2 points on the other, at least I think, maybe 130 pound buck. Anyways he came into the feed and I figured, I am out here to get a buck, this is a buck. He turned away I drew, he took his time turning back to the fed, I was at full draw about 15 seconds. He finally turned broadside about 20 yards I put my 15 yard pin on his heart/lungs and let it fly. I watched my arrow sail over his back by about a foot. He kinda ran/walked off and stopped about 75 yards out and looked around like "what the hell" then walked off.

I am glad I didnt wound him but I am pissed about my poor shooting. On the way back to the house I saw a raccoon in the trail so I ran at him and treed him, I kick the base of the tree until he was up there quite a ways. I set my bow at the base of the tree and jogged to the house got a 22 and drove the qaud out. At least the night wasnt a waste. I am going to call the local fur buyer tomorrow to see what I can get for it whole.

BUT...I missed that buck because my sights got bumped apparently on the bear hunting trip last weekend. I just shot it with the aid of my truck lights and it was 8" high at the normal 15 yard pin. I said a few choice words and resighted in that wont happen again.

Bret4207
10-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Missing is better than gut shooting. He'll be back.

Fur-Fish- Game says 'coon is around $10-15.00 at the markets. Figure less in the green.

nighthunter
10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
From experience of haveing skinned hundreds and hundreds of coons over the years I'd have to say that there is almost no possibility that a coon is prime enough this early to be worth anything to a fur buyer. By the end of October the big boars will be prime enough to harvest but anything smaller will need another 2 to 3 weeks to prime up. Just my 2 cents worth.
Nighthunter

TCLouis
10-08-2006, 11:24 AM
most concerned with Michigan DNRs idea of the condition of coon at this time of year.

At least it would be an issue in many states.